Anime Recommendations - What to Watch Next?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scantron, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got into anime recently and, over the past year or so, have managed to watch the majority of the series that I've heard good buzz about or had a pre-existing interest in. However, I'm just about done Cowboy Bebop (Remix 6 and the movie to watch this weekend), there's only one volume of Samurai 7 remaining and I'm caught up on Fullmetal Alchemist for a little while (until whenever Volume 10 comes out).

Given that, I'm running out of ideas of where to go next in my anime viewing. As such, I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations of other anime series/films/shows/whatever that are worth watching. What would you suggest and, most importantly, why? What did you like about the series, why is it cool or interesting, etc? I'm open to stuff from virtually any subclassification (fantasy, comedy, horror, etc), although I'm not fond of the 'big robot mechs' genre based on the bits of Gundam and Macross I've seen. I prefer dubbed to subbed, but that's flexible.

No spoilers, please, if at all possible.

What I've watched and liked:
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Samurai 7
    - Samurai Champloo
    - Trigun
    - Elfen Lied
    - Paranoia Agent
    - Perfect Blue
    - Fullmetal Alchemist
    - Read or Die (movie...haven't seen the series)

What I've watched some of and was ambivalent on:
    - FLCL
    - Yu-Yu Hakasho

What I've watched some of and didn't like:
    - Gundam (either Wing or Seed, don't remember which)
    - Naruto
    - Bobobobobobobobobobobobo (Pretty sure I have too many "bo"s in that...)
    - Dragonball (any version)
    - IGPX
    - InuYasha
    - sCRYed

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

try the 2005 guyver series, its really good, and its only 26 episodes.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Series wise I really liked Escaflowne. Watch the Japanese release with subtitles. It's just better that way.

For movies, Most Miyazaki films are excellent. Old staples like Ninja Scroll are good. I liked Tokyo Godfathers too. I wasn't too fond of Steamboy.

4. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

As long as its the uncut dub of Visions of Escaflowne its not that bad. Its just the horrible Fox Kids version to avoid. Its a pretty good fantasy-mecha series. The movie would be the easy way to check it out.

For fantasy I'd recommend Record of Lodoss War (OVA), and Berserk. While its only fansubbed right now, I highly recommend Monster, its more drama than anything but well worth it. If you want a lot of violence, blood, gore, and a fair bit of nudity, Gantz is a fun show.

5. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Any word on when that's gonna get a US release?

I've been saving myself for the official DVDs and not watching the thing via "other" means.

6. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX Well-Known Member

You don't like Naruto because of the dub, believe it. :p 

Oh, and screw you for not liking the sheer randomness of BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo and the action and story of s CRY ed.

Watch G Gundam.

PS: What parts of Yu-Yu Hakusho did you see? It really picks up towards the end of the Dark Tournament.

EDIT: Full Metal Panic (no relation to Alchemist) and Getbackers is pretty good. And GOOD GOD HOW DID I FORGET Start watching Bleach (Sub only until the Dub starts airing on Adult Swim. Search for torrents, it's in filler right now so you aren't going to be left behind)

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I recommend Saiyuki. Funny AND violent.:D 

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Cardcaptor Sakura;it's a mix of comedy and fantasy.And it's a series that has heart.But DEFINATELY avoid the dub.It's been for lack of a better word butchered

Ronin Warriors;It's a Samaurai/fantasy anime.Dubbed or subbed it's pretty much the same as the content remains unchanged

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i really liked RANMA 1/2, enough to where i bought all the 7 seasons and the OVA at $80-110 each along with the 2 movies at $20 each....

just be warn, there's nudity in this one, but the nudity is in a comedic sense.

10. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

They cut out all the homosexuality between characters which was, what, 80% of the story?

11. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Chrono Crusade, Doki Doki School Hours, Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Azumanga Daioh, Tenjo Tenge and My-HiME are a few of my picks.

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

You list alot of things I liked, so I would suggest Last Exile to you.

Right now Im watching Evangelion, I still have to watch the last DVD, but So far, I like it alot too.

13. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I highly recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, much more so than both of the GITS movies. Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favorite anime movies, but it's highly depressing, so you have to be in the right state of mind. Samurai X aka Rurouni Kenshin are also good OVAs, I haven't seen the series enough to recommend it. And its not easy to go wrong with anything Studio Ghibli.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I'll easily second GITS: Stand Alone Complex. Good show.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eww, god no. The movie is an entirely different beast from the series. Apart from the characters names and general design (well, except Millerna...), the movie does nothing to introduce you to the story. It's totally different, both in story itself, and tonally.

I heartily recommend RahXephon for your fill of "cerebral" anime. Parallels can be drawn between it and Evangelion, but RX is infinitely more coherent, and consistant. It also features probably one of the strongest anime dubs to date. The VAs for Ayato Kamina, Haruka Shitow, and Megumi Shitow simply do a bang-up job, and the supporting cast is nothing to scoff at, either.

I also second the Chrono Crusade recommendation, if at the very least because Azmaria is the most adorable character ever. But moreso, it's got an interesting story that moves in directions you'd never expect. It's roughly in the same vein as Fullmetal Alchemist, containing plenty of slapsticky moments and anime sight gags, but masking something darker underneath it all.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Dai Guard is pretty nice. It's silly, yet has some nice giant robot action.

I also really like Crest of the Stars. I've only seen a little of Banner of the Stars (and none of Banner of the Stars II), but it seems like it stays just as good. I will warn you though. It starts out very slow. Luckilly that's really just the first episode. Once stuff actually starts moving though, it gets good.

I just saw the first episode of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok and it looks nice. Kind of like Detective Conan with ghosts and magic.

One series that is pretty rare, but rather worth finding in my opinion is Welcome to Greenwood. I have no idea if it's even on dvd or only VHS. It's a very odd series that's probably a love it or hate it thing. The premise is that the lead character has gone off to a far away college to get away from his older brother and his wife. The reason is because the woman he married used to be his girlfriend and the love of his life. Something happened to cause them to break up. His older brother starts dating her later on and eventually marries her. He can't take being around them anymore, so he leaves. Unfortunately his plan gets completely shot to hell right off the bat. His brother is a teacher and his ex a nurse. One gets transfered to that college so the other ends up having to go also. Not only that, but the lead character is also put in the "weird dorm" that has all of the odd students. Ranging from phisical abnormalities like the guy who has the face and voice of a girl, to the biker who's so obsessed with his bike that he caries it on his back when he goes indoors. After the first episode the storyplots start getting really messed up. Part of what I think really makes it so weird is that despite being so completely obsured and wacky, it doesn't really use any anime slapstick animation. It's all done with a more realistic style. My explaination probably sucks and doesn't do the show any justice.

Another show that's entertaining is Comic Party. It's probably got one of the more original premises in anime. It's about a guy who doesn't read or really know anything about manga or it's fanbase, who tries to make a popular doujin (fan comic). Mainly at the urging of his friend who wants to make tons of cash from the book. He eventually starts really getting into it himself though. The series is about him trying to learn the details of how to make a successful doujin before the big manga/anime convention Comic Party starts so he can show it off there. I haven't been able to see too many episodes though. I really want to finish this series.

17. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree. I thought the Escaflowne movie sucked. Bummed me out.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was a decent popcorn action flik, but as a followup to the spectacular TV series, it just wasn't a very good successor at all, capturing none of the charm, nor the depth, nor the intelligence of its precursor.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the recommendations so far everyone! :thumb  There are a few series mentioned that I've heard of, but hadn't read any feedback on, and others that I've seen one or two episodes of (Cardcaptor Sakura, Escaflowne, GITS:SAC) but couldn't come to any conclusions about.

Can’t believe I’d forgotten this one, actually. I remember catching a few episodes of it on YTV back in the day and it was a decent series. Thing I remember most is one of the villains (?) sounded a lot like Rhinox.

One of the reasons I’m not fond of Naruto is how annoying the main character is and, to be fair, I have heard that he’s far less irritating in the subbed/Japanese version. However, the biggest problem I had with the series (watched ~ the first 10 episodes) was the pacing. There were a number of instances of fights being dragged out due to characters standing around talking each other to death and I honestly can’t see that being an artifact of the dubbing and translation. Granted, it wasn’t as bad as the dragged out fights in Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh.

About 10 episodes near the beginning of the series and about 15 episodes in the middle of the Chapter Black Saga. The story was engaging and the characters interesting, but the pacing was a little slow, so I haven’t made up my mind one way or the other about it.

20. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is this the same Cardcaptors that was on KidsWB oh so many years ago? I thought it was just another Pokemon/YuGiOh catchem all show...is the japanese original that much different?