Anime Accurate MP Starscream - May 2007?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Darkprime, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's something I've been wondering since botcon. At the very least, Archer suggested that MP Starscream would be coming here, and when it happens, he would have an anime accurate (well at least greyish white) paint scheme. He told people that buying takara's version would be like buying a different figure. He also mentioned that there would be two TFs released in May 07 that would be movie promotional. Now those could be repaints of movie toys but he wouldn't say.

Seeing how that 20th Prime is in his own size class and that MP Starscream did have some development with Hasbro (as Archer also commented, as well as reiterating that hasbro has access to all of their figures to release), might one of these movie tie in figures be MP Starscream? It would probably sell amazingly well just before the movie, it would help recoup costs for the mold, and would make a great figure to hype the movie. Archer said that this mold would make sense in a new alternators pricepoint, but since they aren't 100% certain alts are coming back, this would be a good way to get some use out of the mold. Lastly, Archer never commented if they would use the same mold as MP-03 or The first proto most people liked more.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn...missed those by 5 months....:p 

On topic, if they do bring Screamer over, use the first mold Hasbro. I hate that hip-kibble.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed (not just hip kibble, though). I'd buy Skywarp and Thundercracker, too!

4. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I corrected the references to 06 and made them 07.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    It's an interesting idea, but I don't think so. The movie preview stuff is better suited to actually previewing the movie designs.

6. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

There is no "first mold". The first design we saw was a resin hardcopy. They are made before the molds are cut.

If Hasbro were to use that first design they'd have to make an entirely new mold for it, which isn't going to happen.

Phazer

7. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's true, but we do not know officially how far into production that first prototype went. Maybe hasbro kept it to develop a mold? I doubt it though because despite MP-03 not being like the toon screamer, it would fit better with a more realistic line like alternators.

8. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another thing, if hasbro did further develop the first mold, it wouldn't be the first time they have decided not to use what takara did and go in their own direction. Just look at the prime in the upcoming Prime VS Megatron set.

9. The Phazer

To be frank, if a mold got cut it would have been released.

In Transformers history the only toys known to have gotten molds cut and not released are the two missing Spychangers, and that was because of the Hasbro merger.

I don't think that's really comprable to the money a Masterpeice mold would cost to cut.

Phazer

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Wasn't there problems with the original design in that his tail fins made him imbalanced in robot mode? I'm sure they changed that part of him for a reason. Honestly I have no problem with the hip kibble, he still looks great in both modes. Only reason I don't have him is because I dislike the paint job and am trusting Hasbro to change it to a more classic look.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Nah, I'm thinking the movie preview toys are going to be something from the actual movie. And I believe Kickback said at one point that the first look at movie designs was going to be shown in the 6" Titaniums line. And all of Kicky's other news given to us during his "slow news day" stuff was all spot on also... so I'd say that pretty much leaves out MP Starscream as a movie preview figure.

Not that I think Hasbro won't release him. They'd be foolish not to. The mold's already cut and all they may have to change are a few of the sharper points for safety reason stateside. We just may not see the Hasbro version for a year or so. But, to be frank, I'd rather wait until the next 20th Anniversary to get a properly colored MP Starscream than to pay $100 for such an awesome mold in so horrible a color scheme.

12. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    Why can't it be "Cartroon accurate" starscream? I don't really classify Transformers as anime.

13. voltron2008

voltron2008 TFW2005 4 LIFE

If takara was trying to be so "real" with thier version (color) of starscream in the first place, Do you think theres actually a real BLUE f-15 for TC? or a BLACK and PURPLE f-15 for SW? I wonder what color those are REALLY going to be LOL!! "Mold is Hot, Color is Not" and on a second note, dude, its a cartoon, its ANIMATED its ANIME aint it, cartoon...... anime.......ummmm, whats the diff? I hate it when people get all mad cuase someone says anime.....sorry, thats my feelings today.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I would say the two movie promo figures will ne like with Star Wars,
    A couple months before the movie was released, they release a wave of 'sneak peek' figures.
    Im guessing Bumblebee + Barricade.

15. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

Anime specifically refers to the traditional Japanese animation style. There's gray area of course, but in general it's pretty clear that "animation" and "anime" aren't synonyms.

Personally I think it would be possible to make an argument for the original TFs being anime, so I don't care too much if people call it that. But it's not unreasonable to make the opposite argument either, I don't think.

16. voltron2008

voltron2008 TFW2005 4 LIFE

ya I guess........"whatever" lol Oh yeah, well transformers came from JAPAN so there! lol , okay im done

17. The Phazer

Because Takara called it's last Starscream reissue (with the colours supposedly changed to be more show accurate) an 'anime accurate' version.

Phazer

18. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

I don't know much about Japanese, but I would guess that for them, "anime" and "animation" actually are synonymous.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anime, in Japan, is simply their word for animation. They like to shorten popular phrases a lot over there (eg: Gunpla, for Gundam Plastic model kits).

Outside of Japan though, the word anime winds up being used in reference to any animation produced in Japan or by Japanese studios, and is usually synonymous with the very broad Japanese "style".

20. JusticeSabre

JusticeSabre FLUKE the SYSTEM.

Ebay:
    Based on his size, I'd pay maybe $30, $35 for MP Starscream.
    Especially if they give him the Alternators treatment and make him all plastic.