Heavy/Scratch: Anime accurate BM Jetstorm mock up

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by alexcollier, May 18, 2009.

1. alexcollier

alexcollier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    CG accurate BM Jetstorm mock up

While i'm waiting for some commisioned pieces for BM Rattrap to arrive I began work on a mock up of BM JetStorm. This is just a card mock-up.

I decided to take more creative liscence with the jet-mode and go for a far more accurate robot-mode.

I'm going for perfect transformation so the nose-cone will fold up into the thorax thingy and the stabilizer doo-dads will fold up inside the thorax (think Transmetal Optimus' head transformation).

27/5/09

The smallest of smallest updates on this.

These pics are a week old now so i'm a little further along than this.

The head is original, as are the wings, but everything else is made with styrene. it's my first time using this so forgive me for any wonky areas.

I'm having fun shaping the styrene using heat. The arm gaunlets will really benefit from this.

Also, I decided to go for more anime accuracy in the vents. They will now rotate and form thrusters in the aft-of-the-craft.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to say, your concept looks pretty accurate so far.

3. alexcollier

News Credits:
    Well, I decided to tackle Rattrap and Jetstorm as I thought them to be the most challenging designs to realise as actual toys.

However, Jetstorm is actually a pretty simple design. Taking liberties with the alt-mode sure helps but I don't think it's going to be that far off the CG model.

4. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

That is going to be awesome. I might have to steal some of your ideas. :D 

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    this looks very promising. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Looks like you have a very well thought out plan! Can't wait to see some more work on this!:thumbs2: 

7. alexcollier

News Credits:
    I know your proclivities when it comes to BM stuff R-Mac. I'll shall endeavour to do my best.

I have a question though. Should I have the chest vents carry over into the jet-mode from robot-mode (awesomesauce!) or have them disappear in Jet-mode (more like the CG)?

8. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

If you could manage to hide them it would lend to a more show accurate alt mode. Way back I had an idea of how to accomplish this. I'll try and mock up something to figure it out. Just off hand have you done anything with Thrust yet. I am still working on finishing mine.

9. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Sounds good, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

10. alexcollier

News Credits:
    Actually, I was happy enough with the Beast Wars Returns Thrust so i'm not planning to do a Thrust anytime soon.

As for the intakes, It would be very easy to have them simply spin around. I may do both and have CG accuracy AND big ol' intakes.

And Takara_Destron, nice to see another South-Walesian in here. I've been living in Japan for years now but still miss the old place.

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd vote for this way

12. alexcollier

News Credits:

I think I WILL go with the chest vents carrying over. It just evokes his name more that way.

I'll have some WIP pics up next week. The vents are what's killing me. Putting a lot of detail into them. Those and the engineering for the lower half.

13. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I'm assuming your Beast Wars returns Thrust is our Battle for the Spark Thrust. And yes, I do agree that he is definately as show acurate as you can possibly get (providing he is transformed correctly). :lol  I say that because the pictures on the packaging show him completely mistransformed. :crazy: 

Anyway, the only issue I have is that he is tiny. I really try for correct size as much as possible. I guess I'm pretty anal when it comes to that. And I guess thats one of my biggest complaints where Hasbro is concerned. Oh well.

BTW, I started back up on my Jetstorm yesterday and I'm actually using alittle more of the Ultra figure than you are. However, now I'm in a quandary. I actually like your idea for spinning his thrusters around. Would definately make it easier to hide and have a more show accurate jet mode.

What to do. :confused: 

14. alexcollier

News Credits:
    The tiniest of updates on this. Work is really getting in the way of this guy.

15. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

Any update is better than no update. If he's big enough, do you think you could fit some show quotes in to that chest of his? I have to say he had some of the BEST lines...

And amen to work getting in the way of everything....I feel ya!

Keep on chugging brother. All the world is forward motion. All forward motion counts, but it is up to YOU to decide what it counts for!

16. alexcollier

News Credits:
    It's funny that you mention that because I was looking at my MP Skywarp the other day and thought it would be a nice idea to put a quote on there somewhere.

What would be the best one though?

17. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

Nice job so far. Don't feel bad about the slow progress, believe it or not I haven't gotten anywhere on mine. Whether you're working or not, life has a way with getting IN the way. Looking forward to your next update!:thumbs2: