Animated Wreck-Gar...review a review?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by JHubs, May 18, 2009.

1. JHubs

JHubs Active Member

Hey all, this is my first post on TFW, although I've been lurking for quite some time now. I've been reluctant to post any reviews on here for fear of criticism, but I've decided that my latest review is actually...decent. I've gathered some advice from reviewers far greater than I, and I'd like to get TFW's opinion.

YouTube - Jake's Reviews- Transformers Animated Voyager Wreck-Gar

I've reviewed a decent chunk of the Animated line, and plan on continuing until I get my hands on my first ROTF toy, which will be Mixmaster.

You can watch the other videos on my channel if you'd like, but I feel that Wreck-Gar's is my best, and therefore the best to critique.

Please tell me any problems I may have, or anything I can fix. My camera is quite low quality (It's a computer-mounted webcam), and I only have one lamp. That should change soon as I have just been hired for a new job.

Thanks alot, everybody!

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your lighting's not too bad (though more will help), its main issue is that it's very yellow. If you go bulb-shopping, try and get natural or whitelight bulbs. Also for additional lamps, all you really need are desklamps, so that can help save on funds. :) 

Once you up the lighting, you may find your quality's quite palatable- good lighting can make even webcams look decent over the 'tubes.

3. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Definitely what vang says is true. The more lighting you have the better cameras will like you a lot more. It's easier for it to do it's job when something is well lit. If you're not able to, depending on what editing software you use, it might have a option to remove yellowing or color correct. Play with that a little bit and see if that can fix some things.

4. JHubs

JHubs Active Member

I hunted around my local store for white lights, but couldn't find any. I plan on heading to Home Depot to find natural bulbs, I'm sure they'll have 'em! Is lighting the only problem? In that case, I've got it easy :) 

I just use Windows Movie Maker, I'll look around the options there. If it's not there I can get my hands on some better software. If you know any that's good and free/cheap I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot guys.

5. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i used to use WMM too. I think there might be a option in there for color correcting. I never looked though. I used sony vegas 9.0 professional for a while...but stopped. it's a very very cpu heavy usage program and takes forever to render anything. i've recently started using pinnacle studio 12 and i'm really liking it. It's fairly easy like wmm and has all the stuff vegas had. it's a good in between program.

Also, a lot of people have started doing things with white boards. White does a better job reflecting light and can trick a camera into thinking it's brighter then it really is. I'd put a white board on your table. Right now you're reflecting some of that yellowish color from your table too.

6. JHubs

JHubs Active Member

Would laying down some white paper work as well? Just to get the color situation fixed. I'm combing through WMM's options now, I should find something!

7. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    yea white paper would work...anything white really should help out

8. JHubs

JHubs Active Member

Yeah, I did some film tests, and it looks alot better. I couldn't find any color options on WMM, so I'll have to just fix it without it. I'll post my next review tomorrow to see if there's any improvement.