Animated Wingblade Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Valkysas, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know that, and it don't. Perhaps a QC issue limited to mine, but it do not. I actually have better luck with the big Magnus hammer, which wedges in more if you flip the hands out to the point the 'guards' help hold the fingers shut.

Wish they went with a nice stiff joint for the hand articulation, rather than the spring-loaded thing they have. (mostly nitpick though)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Just got mine today. No QC issues other than some small nit-picks with the paint. i would almost say I'm disspaointed that the backpack doesnt' work on the deluxe, but it'll never be displayed that way so no biggie.
    I bought this mainly for the wingbalde parts, and didn't officially find out that he would be clear until after my preorder was placed, so i'm happy.

Randy!

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Prime is missing the little tab on the grill piece that is supposed to lock into the waist, so he just spins freely all the time. I tried contacting the retailer but I am doubtful I will get a replacement.

I like the Wingblade parts, but I think it kind of sucks that we were forced to buy another version of the voyager mold. I would have preferred if they gave us the deluxe like Hasbro planned with glossy paint to match the parts. $50 + shipping is a lot to swallow if you are only looking for the parts and not the figure that goes with it.

My only nitpick with the Wingblade parts are the little thrusters at the tips of the wings. The open spaces look horrible on the one side.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I suppose that's a big thing that made it more of a better buy; despite my large Animated collection I just never got around to getting Voyager Prime, so it was 100% new figure for me.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I just got mine today and the price wasn't that bad since I traded some stuff for it. I'm really liking the clear prime but why does the arm pop off? My Museum exclusive Black Convoy doesn't have that problem:confused: . Its not a deal breaker by any means, just something to be aware of.

Still worth the buy:2c: 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. darthdevious

darthdevious Destroyer of Worlds

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Here is a question I am wondering. Does anyone know if the Ax from the Supreme Optimus fit in the larger gauntlets. Someone got me this set but I will not be gettin it till the end of December. I was planning on testing this myself, because I just think this set will look badass with both Leader magnus hammer and the Supreme Ax

7. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My buddy Caked-Up did another review for my site, so here it is:

[​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Overview: This review is going to focus primarily on the new armor accessories and not the figure since many of you should already how great he is (see Phil’s review here).

Robot Mode: With the addition of the new armor, this Optimus Prime figure is just plain awesome looking. I really enjoy the extra bulk on his forearms and the wings look like they should have always been there. The only real detriment to the appearance of this set is the black tab jutting from the rear because it can be seen from many angles and doesn’t serve a purpose in robot mode. The new additions have a shiny metallic paint on them, but to compare the coloring of them with the robot is a little unfair because the figure himself has been redone in translucent plastic. But if I had the original mold I would tell you that the new parts are shiny and new and would appear to be exactly that, shiny and new on a battle weary robot. One of the great things about this set is that it does not interfere with the posability of the original figure. The launchers will block the visibility of Prime’s head from the sides, but nothing actually gets in the way. Adding to this, the backpack does not cause any stability issues either.

The jet pack is kind of simple, but looks exceptionally well. Aside from being the reason for the set, it doesn’t have any real gimmicks, but it is crucial to the figure. It attaches securely to the panel with the light bar. I don’t have any problem with the jet pack, but I think if you weren’t paying attention you could rip the light bar off. I had an issue with his wing tips’ “weight saving cutouts” being exposed, but swapping them around fixed that nicely. Added to the jet pack are his shoulder launchers. They tab into the jet pack and rest on the shoulders, but they too are also rather sturdy. Due to the missile launching gimmick they are a little larger than I care for and you can’t rotate them upwards, but I like them.

Along with the jet pack, Prime was given some armored gauntlets with small stabilizers on them. Once they are attached they definitely add some serious bulk to the forearms, but as I said earlier they don’t interfere with any of the posability. The gauntlets themselves are the weakest part of this upgrade. The first reason is that from the front and outer sides they look great, but since they simply slide over the hand, they look like empty shells from the inner sides and below. Not worst thing ever, but it can make over the head striking poses look a little silly. The second problem is that the fingers are held in position by springs and not a normal joint. Therefore, holding the hammer can be difficult if it is not tabbed in. Additionally, this issue also prevents him from holding the regular axes or gun. You do however have a limited amount of lateral wrist articulation. They don’t rotate, but you can’t have everything. Be sure to swing out the stabilizers before placing the gauntlet over his hand because not doing so could break them right off.

As for the hammer, it has been resized to better fit the figure. It no longer springs open, but it looks great in his hands. I did not purchase the original mold simply because of the junky axe and it was this hammer that motivated me to purchase this figure instead. As I stated earlier, the hammer must be tabbed into the fingers in order for it to stay in his hand. Even then it isn’t the tightest grip. To clarify, the smaller hammer tabs into the FINGERS, not the palm. The palm slot is reserved for the Leader Class Ultra Magnus’ hammer. If you so choose, Optimus can use the larger hammer instead of or with the smaller hammer. You can fold up the hammer and peg it to the jet pack for storage. For those that are curious, he must have the gauntlets on to hold the hammer.

Here is my two cents on the figure itself. It is the same Voyager class mold we have seen before, but instead he was cast in translucent plastic. All of the strengths and weaknesses obviously carry on, but for some reason the clear plastic is weaker than the regular plastic used. The arms like to pop off at the bicep and his joints are a little loose. If you have either the regular or Takara issue Prime I would transfer the armor to them instead. For those who choose to this, the “crystal” figure comes with the Japanese feudal flag…I mean axe and water gun, both in translucent plastic as well.

Overall, this upgrade set is great because those few complaints are nothing to worry about. And for those asking about how this works with the Deluxe Earth Mode Prime (which I don’t have and can only speculate), looking at the gauntlets on the Cybertron Mode Prime’s arms, this set just isn’t going to look that great on the smaller figure.

Vehicle Mode: For reasons I will never understand, Hasbro / Takara designed these accessories so they would combine and form…a winged jumble of parts that tabs onto the back of the truck. Okay, it is its “vehicle storage mode.” When you look at it from most angles you wouldn’t be able to tell what it is made of, but you can tell that this was kind of forced, but you do get a flying truck mode. With the exception of the hammer, all of these pieces hold on tightly to each other after you have partformed them. I like the partforming aspect better than Prowl’s side car as you have fewer restrictions in robot mode. You then use that black tab that juts from the front and stick it into the hole in the cab. I fold up the toes just to give some better stability because otherwise it doesn’t hold on well.

I can say with confidence that the “Trailer/Vehicle mode” for the armor set appears to be an afterthought. However they made the most of what they had to work with.

Remarks: As I stated earlier, this accessory kit feels like an afterthought or something that Fansproject would do, especially the odd “cram-it-on-the-vehicle-mode” design of the trailer. It is far from horrible though. The “Crystal” Prime is a nice addition to “Crystal” collectors, but if you don’t want to purchase the whole kit, toy stores like yahobby.com were noted to have the armor kit sold separately. Regardless of how you get the armor, I find it to have been worth my time. I highly recommend him to everyone especially those who hated the Voyager Prime’s axe.

Robot Grade: A-
    Alt Mode Grade: B
    Overall Grade: B+

PS. People have stated that this armor could be homage to God Ginrai’s Sonic Bomber mode as well as Cybertron Optimus Prime Super Robot Mode. I would also recommend him to those who like homages as well.

8. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

got mine in and I love it! Placed the armor on TA01 and it looks great. The crystal figure looks fantastic!

9. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked up a Takara Voyager Prime from Robot Kingdom since they were on clearance for like $20.

The Wingblade parts look soooo good on the shiny voyager Prime. I love it.

10. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gah. Does anyone just want the clear figure and not the wingblade parts? I really want those armor parts for my Prime, but I detest clear figures.

11. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was trying to sell mine for ages but no one wants it. I decided to just keep it and put it in storage.