animated vs prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by droseprime1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. droseprime1

droseprime1 Well-Known Member

So I wasn't a big collector when animated had came out. Were the toys as wanted as prime toys. I am wondering as animated toys are quite cheap now, and I'm wondering if the same will happened for prime.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't say I've followed the pricing trends, but Transformers tend not to depreciate in value on the secondary market, barring re-releases.

Some of the Takara versions can still be found discounted at import shops, but not everything's available.

3. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The big difference is that TFP is the only toy line to ever release limited First Editions of characters that have completely different mold designs from the wide release main line versions. We've simply NEVER seen that happen before with Transformers. So save for the First Edition releases, there's a good chance you'll see similar after market pricing for the regular wide release TFP toys as you do for the Animated ones. The only time any line really sees a jack in the pricing is when they are first released and only a handful of places get them while everyone else is still waiting. But once they hit all the stores in full force, the prices more often than not even out.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I do think that when Animated first came out, it definitely got a bigger push than Prime. Retailers seem to only be getting a couple cases of Prime at a time, and very slowly trickling in, not even getting an endcap or display.

5. BlackJackuk

BlackJackuk Well-Known Member

Some figures such as the US releases that where toys r us exclusives and some repaints go for fairly high sums. However the majority of the figures sell at reasonable prices. It all depends if you want to get the figures loose or in packaging.

6. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:

for sure.Animated hit with a hell of a bang over here.....Prime is only trickling in.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's really too early to tell. I think as time goes on we're going to see a really big push for Prime toys to be on the shelves. I've always followed my personal rule that if you really want something now then don't wait, especially for retail releases. I'm not much of a gambler and rarely wait for something to go on sale. There's always a chance Prime toys will dip below retail value ... but who knows?

8. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah it is a little too early to tell. Don't forget that when Animated came out in 2008, that is when the economy started to take a turn for the worse. I believe the fact that we are seeing Prime toys "trickle" in is more an economic factor than a decreased "push" factor.

Also, as far as "toy value" over time, it can vary from line to line, but it also varies from figure to figure. Some figures are just more desirable in some lines than in others. I think Animated toys have gotten so cheap only because of the popularity of the movies. Over time, you will see the animated toys come back up, but when its all said and done, ALL of these toys will be valued at about retail or slightly higher depending on figure popularity.

The only figures, in my opinion, that will hold and potentially increase in value significantly over time are the vintage G1 figures and limited releases, such as Prime First Edition. G2 simply just wasn't popular enough, and everything after that has been so mass produced that their values will most likely maintain retail value, but thats just my opinion :2c: 

Collections, in general, TFs or non TFs, are simply not good investments across the board.

9. squawkbot

squawkbot Active Member

IMO,
    If you compare Animated toy release to Prime, the major difference right now is distribution. I dont remember having a difficult time finding Animated figures... I mean, the TRU exclusives were pretty bad in the beginning *errhm, Arcee, cough*, but then shipments came in. Also, the 'one per case' distribution of popular Vehicon and Soundwave characters isnt like anything i remember for Animated. Another factor to consider will be the life of the show. The longer the show, the more waves of figures they produce...and repacks.

If youre gonna compare, Prime seems to me like the recent Generation distribution. Eventually, some figures will warm, while others you may never see on the peg without daily trips.

AND then theres the First Edition ordeal.....Hasbro you stupid bastards, anyway if you wanna correlate with Animated, these will be similar to Japan exclusives like Wingblade Prime, Hydrodive Bumblebee, Blackout, etc. You'll pay a premium until popularity dies down.

Still all in all, its cheaper to buy off the shelf 95% of the time...higher percentage for long lived lines like TF.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    As others have said, a lot of it comes down to the rollout. When Animated hit, I remember going to Walmart when they did the reset, and there were atleast 12 pegs of deluxes, shelf space for Voyagers and leaders, and two endcaps with figures. Couple that with the fact that they wern't packing 12 bumblebees in a case of 8 figures, and there was a lot of toys to choose from. Also, people always jump on what is hot and new.