Animated vs Prime - Which Season 1 was better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Xaddion, Oct 25, 2011.

?

Which season is better

1. Transformers Animated: Season 1

75 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Transformers Prime: Season 1

193 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    A lot of people in this thread say Animated, but the poll is much different? :S

2. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

prime hands down

3. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    I noticed that. I chalk it up to the vocal minority concept.

Not to insult any Animated fans who may read this. Don't get me wrong, it's a good show and worthy of praise. I just think Prime is better.

4. Thundersmacker

Thundersmacker More then meets the lie

Prime is largely a superficial rehash of Transformers clichés and eye catchers.
    Whitout Knockout, and to a lesser degree Starscream, the series wouldn’t even be worth watching.
    Although I’ll admit it’s definitely the darkest TF series ever devised. Prime is like a Goth; Being dark and superficial for the sake of being dark and superficial.

To understand Animated is basically to understand History, politics, humor and nowadays culture. Therefore the typical Animated fan is more outspoken, articulate, literate, more politically conscious and has the innate ability to put matters in to perspective.

Animated appeals to a minority and getting animated will be increasingly difficult as the Franchise develops into an ever darker humorless multiverse.

Like Beastwars Animated gave us an Autobot controlled Cybertron and marginalized Decepticons. These conditions are incompatible with the typical good vs evil narrative, they ultimately reveal that both sides are capable of hideous crimes and atrocities and neither party is better or worse then the other.

It seems that Hasbro is aware of this danger and once again played it safe with Prime. This take on the Transformers universe can only lead to a rehash of S2 of G1, we get an endless stream villains or mcguffins of week. The story will never ever progress or reach the debts Beastwars and Animated have.
    Sadly, the darkness of Prime will prevent us of getting the camp of S2G1.

Prime is a boring series disguised in exciting CGI animation, whereas Animated is a prime multi layered series disguised as superhero cel animation.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Wow, I could not disagree with your opinion more.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You area reading into Animated way more than you should be.

7. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    Prime.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would point out how utterly insane and overblown Thundersmacker's claims are, but this is the same guy that said "TFA didn't have to sexualize females cuz it had good writing" in a show that had a villain whose only actual ability was to "woo" the boys like Dinobots with her looks to do her bidding so yeah, never mind.

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Animated. Prime took a LOT longer to win me over, so I have to choose it's predecessor.

10. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Yes Animated was good; but don't go looking for subversive metaphors etc that just weren't there. It's like saying 'The Hungry Caterpillar' is about global politics & economic greed....

And it doesn't seem like Prime is at risk of emulating G1's season 2 either; since the whole next season is meant to be heavily serialised (what with an
    amnesiac, Decepticon-branded Optimus
    kinda still up-in-the-air)

11. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Not to mention that saying TF: Prime "is largely a superficial rehash of Transformers clichés and eye catchers." and saying Animated wasn't like that is laughable at best. I mean, did he even watch TFA? I've never seen so many pointless cameos and homages stuffed into a show in all my life! I thought it was cute at first, but it got to the point where it really felt like the creators were doing it just to win nerd cred points.

As to which season one I feel was better... While I liked Animated, I don't think it really hit its stride until the middle of season two. Most of the episodes in TFA's season one are completely forgettable to me, and the human villains weren't interesting and never went anywhere. In fact, looking over the list of episodes, I only see three that I actually like and wouldn't mind watching again.

Season one of TF: Prime isn't perfect. There are some pacing problems and character development for a few key Autobots doesn't happen much until near the end, but I've enjoyed watching every episode except for one, and the series has done something that no other Transformer series has before: it's made me like the Decepticons as characters.

So yeah, I voted for Transformers: Prime.

[​IMG]

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Don´t forget Slow-Mo (I really hated that bitch).

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Also, it's pretty funny to say Prime is more black-and-white War than Animated when he had one episode solely dedicated to Starscream's morality and his attempts to redeem himself ["Partners"] and other that showed Breakdown as a pretty reasonable guy ["Operation: Breakdown"].

And that's because I haven't even mentioned the episodes that focused on our heroe's dark sides: "Partners" had Arcee's bloodthirst and obsession with revenge and "Stronger, Faster" had an addicted Ratchet becoming increasingly arrogant and selfish to the point of clashing with Optimus two different times.

So yeah, completely wrong in all possible angles.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't understand the relevance of the argument you're referring to, but didn't TFP imply a similar scenario with Airachnid. Breakdown certainly seemed to be under her charms. Anyway, it's irrelevant since neither show suffers from using females as eye-candy.

There were some that most definitely were there. Look at Mission Accomplished. That was pretty blatant.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    TFP's scenario isn't similar at all, Breakdown tried to kill her during Metal Attraction, that doesn't seem very charmied to me.
    That line about him liking her was a joke, nothing more, to show him having a casual conversation with a random soldier. If he was really under her charm he would've done something when she was getting her ass kicked by Soundwave.

TFA Blackarachnid however used her cherm to influence characters and the plot in 2 episodes out of 3 she was in, one is a joke, another seems to be one of the character's actual skills.

And the relevance is that the member got a history of saying flat out crazy stuff like that, instead of you know, just saying "yeah i like tfa better" and being done with it, has to try and justify why what they like is "superior" with insanity like "well tfa fans are just smarter"

16. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me in what part of the show can we see Airachnid and Breakdown flirting? I don´t remember seeing Breakdown move a finger to defend Airachnid from Soundwave´s beating.

17. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    and it was an entertaining storyline, so what?

I don't understand how your version of something Thundersmacker said was "flat out crazy", and how that should somehow disqualify everything else he says. Yes, Black Arachnia used her sexuality to her advantage, but it's not like the series sexually objectified its female characters.

18. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    He said that "TFA didn't need to sexualize females because the writing was good", somehow implying both that Prime does that and that it does that because it has bad writing. Sounds pretty crazy to me. Specially considering that TFA was the one that actualy aknowledged a character's sexual appeal in-universe and in-script ( if she is or not is up to you, personally found her design butt ugly but I don't like BW Blackarachnia's design either).

19. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Yeah, with the title in that particular episode; but like I stated with 'The Hungry Caterpillar', it's possible to "find" non-existant undercurrents in anything if you try hard enough. Just because a single person sees the connection doesn't mean it becomes gosbel, or the writer's intent.

20. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Oh, well in that case I'll never pay any attention to anything else he says ever again. :rolleyes2 

yeah it's certainly possible to take meanings that were never intended, but that doesn't mean we can deny the idea that there might be subtext or hidden depth to things.