Animated Uk annual

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by rodster6, Nov 15, 2008.

1. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has anyone else here picked up the UK Transformers animated annual? Its cr*p lol.
    When I compare it to the UK Transformers annual of 20 years ago its laughable. I know Transformers are mainly for kids but this is'nt going to be interesting for anyone over 6! I know some kids and none of them would find this annual interesting to read. I know how I was as a child and I would have been as disapointed as i am now with it.
    I was disapointed last years movie annual was just a re-print of the storybook strip rather than the comic adaptation of the movie but this is even worse. I very simple short comic strip made up of frames from the cartoon and the rest is basically puzzle pages. The character profiles consist of about 10 words. The only thing I did kinda like was the how to draw sections.
    Are the annual company not allowed to re-print the decent comic stories from america as Titan have the rights?
    What does everyone else think of the new annuals compared to the old?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'll be honest: I have no interest in the UK comics any more. I took a look at the latest issue of the Animated comic, saw the art, put it back on the shelf and walked away.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This... is not good. [/ratchet]

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still laugh at the art for the Ex-Sideswipe comic.

Zombie Sari!

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I posted a sighting of it around a month or so ago. It didn't get any replies. :( 

The only place I've seen it was The Works, which is odd. I caved and picked one up anyway because I don't want a gap in my TF annuals.

As for what's in it, I took a look last night and was sorely disappointed. Heck, the actual UK TF comics have more worthy content than this thing does, and that's really saying something. They even left a whole page blank for you to draw your own Transformer design in. How frigging lame is that?!
    I remember back in the 80s getting an annual - especially a TF one - was a major part of a kid's Christmas present quota, but this is just mind-bogglingly bad. I know it's for little kids, but this is such a huge step down from pretty much any TF annual ever, including the ones that just reprinted American comic strips. I used to think the G2 Annual was kinda crap, but this takes the biscuit. Actually, it takes the whole pack of biscuits. And then poops on them.

Oh well.

6. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a blank page!!!!! thats hilarious.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Well, not entirely blank.

It had a border around it. :p 

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Undoubtedly lame, but I'll pick it up after Christmas. Why? Here's a tip - Waterstones mark down ALL their annuals in the sales to just 99p. Is this annual even worth 99p? Probably not, but as I have every TF book published, I kinda feel obligated y'know...

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the spirit! Just keep buying stuff like that because it has Transformers slapped on it and next time they will try even less hard to make something good. :) 

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I don't buy everything with a TF label on it.

11. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

That's what I did with the TF annual last year.

12. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I vaguely remember buying some non-TF annuals in the January sales for various younger members of my family, but for the TF ones I tend to just buy it when I see it because there's no guarantee one will turn up later in a sale after Christmas, or at all. TF annuals are just one of those things I don't want a gap in my collection of.

13. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got mine off the net so didnt get to look at the content before getting it. Im tempted to say I would have brought it anyway just because I dont want a gap in my annual collection.

14. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    My branch doesn't stock it. And they won't if I have anything to do with it. I consider it part of my job to prevent trash falling into customers hands. No matter the cost.

We have lots of other horrendous annuals though. Standards really have dropped.

And the Rupert the Bear annual terrifies me on a daily basis.

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember 1985-1989, the Beano and TF annuals were a highlight of the Christmas haul. :D  And looking back, the TF annuals were pretty decent, especially the text stories like State Games. The content was surprisingly 'grown-up' considering the audience they were aimed at.

A year or so ago I had a thumb through the movieverse annual and found it to be reprints of the kids' story books that had been doing the rounds a few months earlier. A very easy pass.

16. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Yeah, I flicked through the annual a couple of months ago in The Works.

Looked pretty crap, so I didn't buy it. Although I have started buying the UK comic, it's not particularly great, but I want it as a counterpart to the toy collection.

17. darthgordy

darthgordy Well-Known Member

I bought it from The Works in a buy 2 for a tenner - maybe I've got my adult critical faculties switched on but it's not great, although I'm probably not the target market.

I also got a How to Draw TF Animated book off Amazon (about £3 but no UK price on it so may be an import). Again it may be good for kids and several of the drawing activities have been put in the annual.

A kids/completist purchase only I'd say.

g