Heavy/Scratch: Animated Tux, Sector70 Gobot Challenge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Maximo Prime, May 27, 2010.

1. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Inspired by Porter C. Powell's limo, which in turn was inspired by the original Gobot, Tux is made from parts of two Swindles. The head is the jet face from Blitzwing. Tux sports a pair of pimp-hands from Voyager Starscream. The top hat is made from a Swindle cannon, and stows snugly in the engine compartment. The hood extension includes parts from the Ice Cream Twins' front end. Tux features real velvet on the roof, a two-tone black/burgundy cape, and a pimp cane.

Here are the alt mode pics - the hood sits super high, and i'm gonna go back and fix that. i had door panels casted and extended, to go past where the wheels used to be.

The hood was the hardest part, and the most curse inducing. I tried so many different things, and still it ended up being huge. i usually don't look back but i really feel the itch to try and perfect this hood. Tux is a limo, and should be near flawless. similar things happened on the doors that covered where the wheelwells once were. i just need to hunker down and get some better measuring tools, i eyeball too much. i am going to have the side bumpers recast - i cut them in half the long way and then glued them together, with zigzag surfaces for more surface area. but having them cast as one piece each will strengthen them as a result. I may also redo the cape - i never did fabric before, and i used mighty mendit when some well placed stitches would've done wonders. still the design was from my noggin, as i couldn't find a good design on the net on how to make a cape for an action figure.
    I really like the velvet on the roof, it helps hide the segmented look the roof has from being put together from two swindles. I isolated the windshield/chest from the other swindle, and pinned it into the back of the roof (what is now the front). it can swivel up to help with transformation.

Attached Files:

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Robot pics please!!!

Randy!

3. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Here are the bot mode pics.

I had equal fun and frustration with this one. I've dreamed of doing him since i first laid eyes on PCP's ride. Turns out I was supposed to see Tux in that. heh. I may revisit some parts, try to make them a little cleaner. I definitely want to see what i can do for the hood. i'm happy with the way it looks, just not its position. certain parts need to stay, but so much of it can be easily redone, i may do just that.

Some parts were challenging and not frustrating - adding Starscream's hands were amongst the hardest things to do, but i got so much out of doing that, in terms of experience pinning things from scratch. the hands are larger than the space allows in alt mode - they won't collapse enough to sit in their respective half of the space under the trunk lid, like Swindle's hands did. instead, i over-flexed his left hand, balled up his right hand into a fist, and the result is he is palming his fist in alt mode. fits perfectly.

I may go back and make the lights yellow, i may not. call it artistic license :)  i would like to do the headlights again, or i may just chalk it up to my skills at the time. I usually don't like to look back.

Despite his flaws, Tux is more cohesive than my previous contest entry, Trashtalk, and gets less looks of "what the hell is that", lol. I'm very happy with what ended up happening with him, and i know in the future my stuff will be less flawed.

I liked him being nice and tall, i am gonna clean up the legs a bit. all the inner panels (shinwise) are from leftover swindle parts. What helps his feet move from one mode to the next is the same hinge that tucked the rear wheels under swindle's feet. i repurposed swindle's ankles (during transformation) as Tux's knees.

The pimpcane/staff is a dowel painted to match the car, with a $ from Alphamagnus. Thanks brother!!

There's more to come from this strong pimp handed bot. Coming soon!!

I am proud to have created the first Transformer ever with velvet. :) 

Attached Files:

4. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Pimpin' ain't easy!!! I never thought of Tux as a pimp-daddy, brilliant! B***h betta have mah money :lol 

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Pimptasticly Awesome !!!

[​IMG]

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome, love the mods to this one

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Being a big fan of Tux from the Gobot line, I loved this take from the get go. I think you did a fine job of pulling it all together man. I would have liked to have seen the front end a little closer to the mass of the car, but other than that, he is pure win for me. Even the accessories are to cool.

:thumb 

8. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    And lastly...Tux doing what he does best...Wrangle them b!+¢#£$

Attached Files:

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Now those pics are pure win.

You're making me want this more and more....stop it!!

10. Crimsonthunder

Crimsonthunder Well-Known Member

Too rich for an altmode! But not so! Awesome!

11. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    yeah his character was not what i thought it'd be, considering how pimp his alt mode was. I honestly never saw Tux as anything BUT smooth and Pimpin...

12. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

hmmm,needs a pimpin' beard to go with this pimpin' P.I.M.P!,maybe some added bling.

13. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    take a closer look, i gave him a sweet stache and flavor savor. High class. :) 

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like this one! You've mentioned the hood, so I really don't feel that pointing that out any further will be too helpful; you've recognized your problem area, and you're planning to attack it later.

I applaud you for using white, as I've always felt it is a harder paint to work with often. That being said, I really think wet-sanding would dramatically help your painting. Also, with white especially, sometimes that one extra coat makes all of the difference as well.

I feel your real strength here is the kitbashing aspect of your custom. You've made some genius moves with parts (the Blitzwing head? Wow!), and overall, your work is really stellar.

I always thought Tux was very regal, and I think you pulled this off nicely as well :) 

15. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

This custom is EPIC!!! :bay 

16. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's huge, man. Damn good job updating this Renegade.

Two things though:

1. Does the pimp cane go anywhere in vehicle mode?

2. I think the back of the car can still be confused for the front, because of the grill and bumper design.

17. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

i think it's awesome, which you know, and that if and when you do him again it will be even better because you already know what you want to fix.

keep up the great work brother man!

18. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Thanks, bro. Yeah i always feel more in my element with mods than paint. i want to get into wet-sanding, time to do some experiments!! Thanks for the crits and compliments!

Thank you!!

1 - Unfortunately, not a chance. at the very least it can act like a light post on the side of the road, heh... I always like to have whatever doodads come with a figure fit in there somewhere, but some things were just impossible. Like Prowl's traffic light. If the cape hadn't turned out so huge and thick (heh), i would've tucked that in the alt mode too.
    2 - yeah i totally feel you on that. I'm still trying to see what i can do to change the look of it without affecting the transformation, as the trunk still acts just like Swindle's front end. I smeared a thin layer of epoxy across the middle of the trunk lid to get rid of the lines etched in, to give it at least some difference.

thanks dude, that means a lot!

19. primal primus

primal primus Wants more Batman

god, this is great!

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Any chance we can get some shots of the back?