Heavy/Scratch: Animated Trashtalk with Backfire - The Triplechanging Supermaster

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Maximo Prime, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Here's my finished piece for the Sector70.com Headmasters contest. I decided to go with an original character, because what I wanted to end up creating simply did not exist in the list of canon characters.

if you're feeling "tl;dr", skip down to the bottom of the text and check the pics, after reading this -

Trashtalk is a Triplechanger Headmaster Powermaster Targetmaster, with a quintchanging PM/TM partner.

Skip or read on...

Trashtalk is a tiny Junkion, living with his dog Backfire. Being a haven for spare parts and possible mods, the planet Junk was a frequently visited spot for Lockdown. The bounty hunter would come and trade as he pleased, and was not afraid to rough things up in his favor against bots who were less willing to trade. In those cases, "trade" became "theft" and "extreme vandalism."

Trashtalk was one of these victims. He lost nearly everything, and his dog Backfire was seriously damaged. So Trashtalk, now with nothing better to do than watch his own back and protect his dog, lied in wait for Lockdown's eventual return.

Lockdown did indeed return, and after securing Backfire's location, the diminuitive Junkion snuck aboard the bounty hunter's ship. It was no secret that Lockdown often modified his own body, and had a tendency to hold on to old parts. Trashtalk was fortunate to find enough parts to build almost two Lockdown bodies, in addition to some odds and ends. He quickly spirited these parts off the ship, and got to work.

first was fixing Backfire. That didn't take long, and now his dog was larger and stronger than before. He then got to work on putting together the rest of the parts into a cohesive body. Lockdown's alt mode was a muscle car, so Trashtalk's copy would have to be stronger - a truck. But to Trashtalk, that wasn't enough, so he engineered a 2nd alt mode to get one up on the bounty hunter. He had to fly.

Backfire never liked to leave his master's side, and now with his newfound power he felt more than ever it was his duty to protect Trashtalk the way Trashtalk had protected him. So Trashtalk built Backfire into the truck as a rear engine, and as the source for the fiery exhaust it would belch forth. He felt it was fitting, given the dog's name. He then built him into the jet's nosecone, and his legs became the various fins and wings.

He discovered that the parts he used to upgrade Backfire were part of Lockdown's main weapons in bot mode. SO he turned those up a notch as well, if for nothing but to just rub it in that jerk's face. Backfire now formed two types of weapons - a spread gun like the videos of the Contra video game he saw from Earth, and the original mode Lockdown used, with the hook. With a couple extra blades slapped on for good measure.

Speaking of Lockdown's face - Trashtalk had found his old head module, and decided to turn his own body into a head to pilot the body he had put together. He had heard about it in the thousands of transmissions his planet receives every hour - tiny robots that turned into heads for the purpose of piloting large bodies, and to be able to go toe-to-toe with larger bots.

He wore Lockdown's face upside to mock him were the bounty hunter to ever come across him on his own. He thought it would be great to exterminate the bounty hunter - but honestly, to simply defeat him using his own parts, upgraded better than Lockdown could have achieved, would be an even greater victory.

Ok, here's the skinny on all the things Trashtalk can do, figure wise.

He is a Headmaster (obviously), made from a Lockdown face, an Armada Liftor head, and a Neoshifter "li'l buddy".

Backfire is now his Powermaster and Targetmaster partner. His five modes:
    • Dog bot mode
    • Bird mode - in this mode he and Trashtalk can perform falconeer feats
    • Powermaster Truck Engine/Exhaust port mode
    • Powermaster Nosecone Jet mode
    • Targetmaster Melee and Blaster mode

he is made from the front pop-off piece of Lockdown, with 4 forearms from the Animated Jetfire mode, and the eyes from ROTF Scalpel. the fireblasts were made from hot glue using Tom Servo's invaluable tutorial on the subject. The legs attach to him in various positions using magnets. the eyes are pinned in.

The body is made from one complete Lockdown figure, plus the upper legs of a 2nd Lockdown figure. Also included are the hip joints from Animated Jetstorm and Jetfire to facilitate the transformation to jet mode. There's other random pieces in there to make that happen too. the truck's windshield is made from the shield and chest of Ani Cyb Mode Prime. I left the wheels intact up there to be the mount for the pipes from Cyb Clocker as smokestacks. More fireblasts, these were created around pins, and insert into the ends of the smokestacks. They are removable.

Magnets were used extensively to help create connections - they are tops at being unobtrusive and effective, and avoid the wear and tear of homebrewed peg-port systems.

All modes are connected securely with this method - nothing simply rests with gravity, including the head - the Neoshifter feet have a perfect spot on their soles to add magnets, and i placed pinheads on the Lockdown torso at the appropriate points.

The paintjob is admittedly a bit messy around the headlights, and a couple areas elsewhere - i dreamt past my current skill set. i haven't taken new pics, but i have cleaned up the headlights a bit, and will take new pics eventually.

This post has the truck pics, and the hidden om-nom mode... :) 

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 016b.JPG
      016b.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 016c.JPG
      016c.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 016d.JPG
      016d.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 016e.JPG
      016e.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  2. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    awesome. just pure awesome. Do we get to see robot mode pictures? or maybe a finished animated Menasor?

3. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Backfire's alt modes, and jet mode pics.

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      963.9 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      941.1 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      878.9 KB
      Views:
    • 029.JPG
      029.JPG
      File size:
      941.9 KB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 034.JPG
      034.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  4. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Thank you, heh.. and yes, Ani Menasor is on the short list. Contest stuff got in the way!!

5. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Robot mode pics!

Attached Files:

• 040.JPG
      040.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 044.JPG
      044.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 047.JPG
      047.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 048.JPG
      048.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 049.JPG
      049.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 050.JPG
      050.JPG
      File size:
      852.2 KB
      Views:
    • 051.JPG
      051.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 052.JPG
      052.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 054.JPG
      054.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  6. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I like the flames spewing out of the exhaust - where are those from? Good attempt at trying to merge three different kinds of *masters. This took a lot more insight than simply giving Highbrow & Gort a recolored Crosshairs figure.

~Z

7. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    So does the truck have a robot mode?

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I honestly don't know what to say about this one. It's unique, and the om-nom mode is certainly out of the box... (Damn, i want one of those now...)

... And I really don't know about Backfire. Quintchanger? Impressive. :) 
    To me, though, i think it ended up more like Quickswitch, rather than Sixshot. My main problem is that the color scheme imitates Jetfire's so well, i can't tell what is Jetfire, what is Trashtalk, and what is Backfire. Nice work trying to merge three masters though.

Still, the idea is nice, and I would've never guessed from all those entries that this one was yours, MP. Never in a million years. And my opinion on HM's is all but worthless anyways. :lol 

On a semi related note, I like the role reversal of Lockdown (the guy that turns his opponents into Junk and takes their weapons) being used for a Junkion! :lolol 

9. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Good call, treadshot, on the role reversal! hadn't thought about that. I wanted Backfire to blend into Trashtalk, and Jetfire's arms just fit so i left them as is. in story, you could say Trashtalk left certain parts as is to call tribute to the bots they were torn from. :) 

Autocon - it kinda came out backwards - to me, Lockdown had engine parts that became a weapon. So that was a robot mode away from being 2 kinds of *master partners. I threw in the bird mode to mirror the Transtector's ground and air capabilities. Thanks for the good words!! the flames are made out of hot glue, painted with testors clear yellow and orange. i threw some of the clear orange on jetfire's arm fire things to make them match. i'll take pics of the flames by themselves to show you more detail about their construction.

SHOWDOWN PICS!

Attached Files:

• 056.JPG
      056.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 057.JPG
      057.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 058.JPG
      058.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  10. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Trashtalk turning into the head.

I forgot to mention Lockdown's crotch was replaced with Cyb Sideways' crotch. this allowed for the split i needed to let the legs do their thing. and they were orange, yay!! for a part that needed to do a LOT of rubbing, to not have to paint it was a blessing.

Attached Files:

• 061.JPG
      061.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 062.JPG
      062.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 063.JPG
      063.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 064.JPG
      064.JPG
      File size:
      964.9 KB
      Views:
    • 065.JPG
      065.JPG
      File size:
      452.1 KB
      Views:
  11. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what's going on with this custom, but it does look pretty cool

12. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

I am sooo quoting this!

13. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    this is one of the zanier fresh ideas i kept going back to and staring at the pics during the contest!!!great job on a original idea!!!:thumbs2: 

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    This is some really cool work here MP. I love all the alternative modes you gave him. The little doggie is pure win for me. And I love the truck mode....reminds me of something from the game Twisted Metal. And as mentioned the exhaust flames?...too cool for words.

All in all man, this is one fantastic looking piece. :thumb 

15. Dischord

Dischord Empyricon

Ebay:
    That's endlessly fascinating. I tend to imagine Junkions with drab liveries, but this rather garish colour scheme seems to better suit their character. The dog is just great. I can't imagine how you came to conceive of this--fitting all the elements and modes together--brilliant.

16. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    this thing made me smile really big stu. I was thrilled with every loading image. this has so much personality. I love it.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is awesome, very original

18. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Thanks everybody. Yeah, personality was key - being a complete stranger to the fans, a fanchar is in an uphill battle to be recognized... I wanted him to be the li'l underdog everyone roots for.

Glad you guys like it!!

19. Vampyr

Vampyr Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:

my head : :bay 

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is cool