Customs: Animated Transparent plastic: brittle when alcohol is applied?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Okay, so I know that on some TF figures (namely Movie and Classics figures) if you use alcohol to remove paint from transparent plastic parts, they become brittle and literally crumble in your hands. Alternators and classics/Universe 2.0 don't seem to have this problem at all...so I have a question:

Do animated figures have the "Brittle plastic" problem or not? I really want to try some stuff with Animated Jazz, including removing the black paint from his molded translucent smoke windshield... but I'm afraid to use alcohol on the windshield until I know if it's going to crumble when I do so.

I'm just making sure, before I make a stupid mistake -- and I'm hoping some other Radicon here has some experience with this already... ;) 

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would test an area you don't mind fixing first as it has always been hit and miss with me. I had alternators break on me as well with alcohol exposure among others. Might want to try a weaker one like 70% first before you use more potent stuff like 91% alcohol too.

3. luke4

luke4 crocon

or just put it in not so long. thats what npk said in his video.

4. ShadowStitch

I dunno, in my experience it doesn't seem to be so much a matter of how long it stays in contact with the alcohol as the plastic itself reacting weirdly to the alcohol. Some of the plastic seems to just crumble no matter what concentration I use -- on some figures even so much as wiping it across the plastic causes it to become milky and fragile.

I'm just asking after this particular figure, or failing that, this particular line, because I haven't had occasion to use isopropyl to remove any paint from them so far...

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've brushed alcohol 91% on a alternators windshield to clean off some stray paint and it cracked without hardly any pressure lol. Some plastics it just don't matter. Might have just been some bad plastic or something as that was the only alternator or anything for that matter happen.

6. ShadowStitch

Well, I decided to risk it, and I tested it on a bit of the interior of one of the headlights. Nothing seemed to happen, so I tried it on the back of the lightpipe visor, and still nothing. So I went ahead and used 91% Isopropyl to remove the black paint from the windshield.

...thankfully there seems to have been no adverse reactions, and it removed the paint just fine. The result is a transparent clear blue windshield the same color as his visor. It looks quite nice!

Now I'm considering removing the paint from the side windows...but I might not, considering that rest of the windows are black by necessity. (The windshield and side window panels are molded from transparent blue plastic. The rest of the windows are painted on.) The windshield on the figure I received had a big paint nick in it, which is why I wanted to remove the black paint there...so the other windows aren't nearly as important. :p 

So for future reference.... :lol 

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on the plastic, The light piping for the eyes will become brittle and literally crumble in your hands.
    Plastics like the canopy of Lockdown or chest of Grimlock will not, you can soak them in alcohol
    for days & barely any paint apps will even come off the plastic.

8. luke4

luke4 crocon

:eek:  for days?! thats crazy! how long would you leave normal plastic in it for?

9. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know HASBRO is having major QC problems when a transformer crumbles from alchohol. :lol 

10. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    A day or two.

11. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

You licker up your toys? D:

Are they old enough to be legal drinkers?

12. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

hey thanks for the info i thought these parts were all molded in smoked clear plastic. that really helps on a project i am working on thank you so much :thumb