Fan Art: Animated Transformers Project - Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Triggerwit, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

Hey, I'm an animator from Vancouver...new to the boards.....

I am making a short for a project that was written about 5 years ago that picks up after Beastmachines. It's taken a lot of time only because it took that long for me to be skilled enough to do the project after a group of fans and I wrote it in 2001-2002...... Both design-wise, and animation-wise, I was not talented enough to do it 5 years ago. It will be classically animated, done in high quality animation in the style of G1. Think....G1 movie for animation quality..

The Phase I'm in is character design. I've begun working on turn arounds for the characters. I don't want to show the bodies yet, but I wanted to get an idea of color choice for one particular character...

Maxima Convoy... The "Prime" of this series... After a couple sketches I nailed down a basic idea for how he may look, but I am struggling on what colors to use. I have included the one I settled on, which looks very prime and not very unique...., and three alternatives.... Would you keep the same colors? Basically, I'm wondering if you are all sick to death of seeing the same prime colors...... bearing in mind he is a different character, not optimus prime, would you prefer a different scheme, and which one out of those three if not the prime-like colors? (Edit - or suggest a scheme to use, I'll try it out.)

Oh, and I sneaked in a Decepticon that will be in the series.... He's very evil..hence the evil color scheme. =)

Thanks a lot guys, feedback will help me make sure it's good. Oh yeah... I hope there are some talented voice actors on these boards... after I finish the character model sheets I'm going to be storyboarding, afterwhich I will be making the animatic... and I'll need the voices for that..... I was hoping to have some talented fans do the voice acting for me... Let me know if you know of any, or any voice acting guilds? (Also, I'm in desperate need of some good free uncopywrited soundeffect/music sites, the one i used to use is gone...)

Again thanks, please let me know your opinions.

Attached Files:

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

First of all, I would like to say welcome to the boards.

Secondly, I think what you're doing sounds fun. I think for Maxima Convoy, you probably are going to want to use a color scheme different from Optimus Prime, as you said that Convoy is not Optimus Prime right?

As for voices, I don't know much about there being any fans on the boards who are talented voice actors. I like to imitate certain Transformers, but I'm not what you'd call a talented voice-over actor... well, actress since I'm a young woman. So, you might want to try and get in contact with a voice acting guild.

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    As an animator myself, this project sounds like it will be sheer hell.

Maybe you should lower the bar, so you don't get too frustrated early on. Go with more limited animation. You can still do great action scenes with fewer keyframes, just look at Tartakovsky.

4. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

YUP, this is going to be hell, but I'm not doing limited animation, I'm sick to death of doing limited animation. EVERYTHING now-a-days is limited animation. I know how long it's going to take, I've been planning this for years. Don't think I've underestimated it... I've animated 20 seconds a week of classical animation for the last year and have gotten pretty fast at it... So we'll just have to see how it goes... I've also been an animation director/supervisor... I do have experience in animation.

However... I didn't say how long the short would be. =P Although to define the project as sheer hell is pretty accurate, it's not going to be any longer than five minutes, and will probably take me a year or more to completely finish it. But when it's done, it will be worth it and something to be proud of, plus put on my demo reel. (no legal infringements, no mentions of copy-righted names, not going to be called transformers... it will simply be known that it's transformers, i'll get around it...)

However, as an animator yourself... Do you have any opinions of a color scheme? That's really the only reason I made this post.

5. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

P.S. - Since you're an animator.... hrmmm.... You..uhh... wanna help animate a scene or two? jk hehe...

...Uh, seriously though! :p 

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, I must say I'm impressed. You've been planning this for years, and you know it's going to take you long but in the end it's something that was worth doing and you know you're going to be proud of what you done. That's pretty admirable of you.

Good luck on the project.

7. MPollard

MPollard Well-Known Member

I like the one you picked. My first choice might be the one next to it, the only one with dark blue. I like bold colors for a bold leader.
    (1, black is not a color :) dunce), and 2, black is associated with villainy...)

8. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

Thanks trans, that's really flattering! So flattering I almost wonder if you're being sarcastic ... lol... thanks if not though!

M- I'm gonna write down, 1 for the guy with the dark blue. (lower right corner, predominatly grey?) And ...what are you talking about black for? The villain in the picture is dark dark purple with dark teal highlights! I don't understand why you are talking about black. Sorry, I'm easily confused. :s

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Oh, sure.
    Personally, I dig the blue and orange. The colours are strong, and opposing, and those dark areas really stand out. The eye is drawn to it much more than any of the others.

Now, what sort of backgrounds are you most likely to have? Dark and metallic, or something brighter, like Autobot City?

10. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

The BG's are a very stylized version of the BM teletubbie-land... Very technoorganic, so a lot of light blues and greens... Although it will really depend on the mood I'm trying to set during each scene though... BG styles and colors are not set in stone right now but it's definitely not going to be about cramming as much detail in as I can, more about nice simple shapes and very stylized landscapes. I was thinking that most of them would be sub-dued in color to mimic a light water color so that the characters will really pop from the BG. Although at the same time there will still be very dark BGs like a villians lair, or a dark alley of the earth, etc etc.... Lighting is going to play an important role in this short, the character colors are not static, they'll change depending on the lighting that the BG's call for.

I guess the simple answer is, Both dark and metallic, AND brighter ones too. It will be much more atmospheric than cybertron has been in previous stuff mainly due to the technorganic reformatting.

I'll see if I can get an example of what I was thinking done up in the next couple days.

11. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

Here is a WIP of Maximas body in 3qtr view of the model sheet. I have to keep it simple to make it as easy as possible for me during the animation phase, but there are still a few details missing from the body anyways, that I have not yet decided on. He actually has a set of impressive looking smokestackes to be added to the back of his large shoulders that I have not yet decided on the design of.... I know they are just smoke stacks....... but I'm picky. That's a JPEG of an autobot symbol I threw on, it will be vectorized later. Also the design of the lower arm is going to change, I hate it.

When they are in robot mode it's more about the design of the robot mode rather than showing what they transform into... A lot like the old G1 toon, I can't be too detailed... Just wouldn't work in animation, not feasably anyways... I guess what I'm trying to say is... This isn't comic book art but I will be adding other details to the upperbody. :p 

Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    do you have any animated samples?

13. Megatron_X

Megatron_X Supreme Predacon Warlord

I do voices. Also so do the guys over at TFCog.com

14. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    First off Welcome too the boards.Second I like the blue color scheme.Third I'm a amuture voice actor and might coceder this porject

15. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

Thanks a lot for the welcomes and replies guys! I hope to post continual updates... I won't start a new thread or anything, I'll just keep it simple and post updates in here.

So what I am understanding is that I should just stick with the color scheme I got?

I'll try to reply to you guys sorry I'm in a bit of a hurry, got an interview to run to.

No samples to show you now, I'm really early in the development phase of the project. Right now 13 scripts are written, although one or two are missing, and will have to be re-written... (this short will be taken from a select part of one of the scripts.. there are a lot of good sections that stand on their own but still peak interest...) and I am working on character designs and getting a feel for what kind of BG will work with them. As soon as characters are designed, I'll be working on location designs and building an asset list for what props and BGs I actually need.

If anyone is interested in doing voices please gimme your email!! I'll write you down and probably email you within a month or so asking if you are still interested and if I can hear voice samples... Although it's all pro-bono, I really need the voices to sound like a real character with proper accents... SO basically if you are interested in an acting role, I wanna give you a description of the character and let you decide how he should sound, so it's genuinely from you, and not forced. I'll still need to make the final call, but it gives you creative choices. But like I said, all this stuff is far in the future. I'd like to have the voices during the animatic phase. (although feel free to send me any voice samples in the meantime, I'd love to hear them.)

I'm going to be late if I don't go now! Sorry gotta run no time to clean my post up!!

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Triggerwit - the stuff looks great, i like your style! I don't like your prime's overall face. actually, that's not entirely true, i just don't like that between his visor and mouthplate that i can't see "him"...might i suggest some sort of facial features peeking through somewhere? Other than that, I really like the stuff you've put here so far. And I would love to provide you some free voice-acting :) 

Stu

17. Triggerwit

Triggerwit Member

Yeah I know what you mean!

I was actually thinking about that when I first put the visor on him but totally forgot about it until you mentioned it right now...! I was thinking of making the visor transparent so you can see his face underneath... Do you think that would solve the problem?

I'll see if I can get around to that tonight and plop a side by side comparison up... than people can comment on what looks better. I'm a little busy working on a commision peice for someone atm so i might not get to it tonight though.. but ill try!