Animated toys suck??!?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, Dec 24, 2008.

1. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    I've often read in TF forums all over the internet posted by the haters who despise Transformers Animated and anything to do with them. And I FREQUENTLY hear the argument that "the store shelves are lined with toys and no one is buying them. They are just taking up space and that's why Wal-Mart's marked the Deluxe toys down!"

I beg to differ. My brother in Atlanta got Magnus today, so I stopped by after work to see if it was in. I must say beforehand, that the stores I go to stock the toys aisles EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I got there and everything looks normal. It's 4 am in the morning and no crowds to fight with. The shelves are full of all the toys that are normally there. I make my way down the boys' stuff and get to the Transformers area... WIPED OUT!!! The ONLY toys in the entire toy dept. that was COMPLETELY raped. There were a couple of Ratchet Activators and a few torn open Deluxe Universe toys. I sneaked over to the end cap a few aisles down where I knew the TFA Deluxes had a display and it too was almost barren. There were VERY few toys left, mostly Ratchet and Blackarachnia and the Movie figures that weren't in the movies, like the Mirage repaint.

I asked the majorly hot girl that works there every night (part of the perks of scoping out the toy dept that late... lol - just kidding) were they doing a reset on Transformers or were they just wiped out. She said they all sold out earlier that day... and I QUOTE - "EVER SINCE THE TRANSFORMERS 2 TRAILER CAME OUT, WE CAN'T KEEP THEM ON THE SHELVES." I KNOW this isn't true because it's not due until February, right? Did I miss something? Anyways, I thought maybe it was an isolated case... she was just crazy... HOT, but crazy. So I checked TWO other Wal-Marts and my local Target... ALL the same - completely void of Transformers. There were a couple of exclusives left like Springer and Ratbat, but the boxes looked like they'd been checked in a hockey game.

So THERE GOES THAT lame theory from TFA-haters that the toys aren't selling good enough... it won't last... it's doomed to be canceled. I wouldn't count on it. I might find that theory a little more believable if there were no more live-action movies coming out.

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, I'm not a fan of the new Animated series myself, but I love the toys a great deal and these are the toys I'd buy for kids (as opposed to Universe or Movie figures) due to posability, transformation and look. We each may have our own opinions regarding the new cartoon (I still don't care for the approach to Bumblebee), but I don't know how anyone can deny the success of the Animated toys unless they're blind, painfully stubborn or delusional.

3. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    see! that is a point SO many miss! it's for kids! it's PRIMARILY for kids! if it were just for us older fans, the boxes would say 18+ (of course that also incinuates that it's a raunchy Manga film too lol).

my kids LOVE these toys! that's why we keep getting them! i think those that don't like them are just looking for more reasons not to like them or just trying to provide some proof that they are right. they don't factor in things like the populations surrounding the stores. of course, smaller populations are going to sell less as are areas hit hard by bad economic times... parents that are losing their homes or jobless or facing foreclosures aren't that concerned with getting their kids toys right now.

4. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

They're not terrible toys but they're not my cup O tea either. I have just a few of them, and even soundwave doesn't do it for me. Vast swaths of unmoving un detailed flat plastic, and it just doesn't look roboty enough for me.

Thankfully there's universe for those of us who feel that way. It's mostly the robitic aspect of it. Animated doesn't have that feel to it that universe gives off.

5. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I love the Animated figures. But, I can see why some people don't like them that much. What I can't understand is why other people that don't like them seem to think that nobody likes them. That's just a mystery to me.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    they do not suck! theyre awesome, im 21 and i love em....

7. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "majorly hot girl"

"perks of scoping"

"she was just crazy... HOT, but crazy"

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    can we focus more about the chick that works at your walmart xd

but seriosuly.....it's the GWhiners what can you expect....nothing can convince them to like anything else but G1.

9. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand the arguments that they don't look robotic enough, but seriously, that's the one reason why I love this line so much. They not only make the alt mode as faithful as possible to the show's counterparts, but they also make the bot mode extremely accurate as well, which is amazing given how many curves and humanoid forms the bot modes have.

I love the curves and human characteristics too; stuff like beards and goggles and whatnot, they really go over and beyond in giving these guys attitude and soul.

10. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    You are all losing site of my actual point though. My point was not whether they like them or not or what they have against them, it's the fact that they speculate that they do not sell well. Regardless of why one does or does not like them is besides the fact. The theory that they aren't selling well enough and it's hurting the franchise is completely false. As I stated, NONE of the stores in the Tri-State area of the Mid-South can keep ANY of them in stock!

And yes, half the fun of browsing the toys is the hot chick! lol Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. If she worked in the crafts section, I would suddenly get the urge to be very artistic.

11. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    So you are saying that the argument "_____ is gonna ruin Transformers forever!!" is a stupid one?

12. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    NO. All I am saying is that basing the theory that Animated is going to die SOLELY based on how full the shelves are at toy stores is false. Judging the sales of the toys based on how much stock they have is a VERY inaccurate way of measuring how well or how poorly a franchise is doing.

I'm just relaying the fact that the Transformers section was COMPLETELY cleaned out and all the other brands were completely stocked. And "Hot Wal-Mart Girl" said that they just got swamped by customers earlier that day. If I did what opponents of Animated did and judged how well the line is going to do based on how the shelves look, I'd say that Animated is still here for quite awhile... but it's still an inaccurate gauge for measuring its success of failure.

I'm in the middle on Animated. I like the toys cuz my kids like the toys. I don't keep them all perfect in the box like my Alts or Universe collections. The kids like the show and it's given us something we have in common. They will watch an episode of Animated and then I pull out the G1 series and now they like it too. It's a generally wholesome and entertaining show for kids and it's never caused my kids to fight with each other or scream or go completely insane. They just sit down and watch. Even my Autistic son simply loves the show! Tries to immitate the voices and sound effects when he plays with the toys.

I probably wouldn't watch Animated if my kids weren't around, but because they are around most of the time, I'm glad we watch shows that don't make me want to kill myself like Teletubbies or BooBah or Yo, Gabba-Gabba! We watch Spongebob, Jimmy Nuetron, Transformers, and Back to the Barnyard. Those are the only shows we can both watch without it either making them scream cuz they want to watch something else or making ME want to scream cuz I want to watch something else.

Ok?

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Which is funny since Animated is as close to a G1 reboot series as we are ever going to get. So they might as well commit seppuku cause they'll never be happy.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And it fits, considering Transformers were always just big humans made of steel.

Except Bayformers, they're... other... things made of steel.

15. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Every TF franchise I've looked into has some merit, an Animated has more than many of them. I'm a big G1 fan, but Animated and Beast Wars have really gotten my interest and kept me entertained. It's the perks of being open minded and trying things out.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find it funny how TFA haters always find 2878327382 units while people that actualy want the toys can't find 'em around.

17. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I liked TFA a lot, but atm I kinda had it with the series. I'm selling my figures since they don't have any special value to me any longer.
    Going to concentrate on G.1 if it has to be TF's. That the only series which matters to me.

18. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    This thread is useless without pics.:D 

In all seriousness, I love TF:Animated, both the series and the toys. Really my favorite TF stuff since G1.
    As far as stores around me stocking them, they're usually picked over.

19. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Bingo.

I've always said that, especially with regard to the movie. If Michael Bay had crafted a shot for shot live-action version of "More Than Meets the Eye" and had designed each bot to G1 perfection, there would still be a vocal contingent who would complain until the cows came home. Same with Animated. You could raise the dead and get all the G1 voice actors back, have Sunbow animate it, and use the same characters from Season 1, and there would be wild and rampant complaining.

As for Animated toys, I can't find jack SHIT on the pegs at Wal-Mart, Target, or Toys R Us. They're empty. They can't keep Animated or Universe on the shelves it seems (aside from BlackArachnia and Ratchet, who are shelf-warming everywhere).

With regard to my own personal taste, I think Classics/Universe is far superior to most of the lines, and that's what I primarily go for. But I have added Animated's Snarl, Swoop, Jazz, and Blackarachnia to my Classics troops, because they're good figures and stand-in rather well. I also bought Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee just for shiggles. Do I like all of the Animated figures? No. I'll never buy Ronald McDonald Ratchet or Lockdown, but by and large, the Animated figures are pretty solid.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    People use the "shelf warmurz=toy suxxorz!" argument about every series, but it just depends on the area too. Here most of the Animated toys are shelf warmers, but that's also because they put more of it out than the other lines so of course it won't sell out overnight.

Animated overall is one of my least favorite series, but I'm not going to say thats the reason there's tons of them on shelves.