Animated toys scale size

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PakiroVah, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PakiroVah

PakiroVah Hasbro's Slave

Quick question. With the Animated toys, which ones are in scale with the cartoon's proportions? Thanx!

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Most of them are in acceptable scale with each other as far as I'm concerned. Some people think that Bumblebee is too big and/or that Starscream, the Dinobots, and Ratchet are too small, but they all do the trick just fine imo. The only ones that are noticably WAY smaller than they should be are Soundwave & Sentinel Prime who were made into Deluxes instead of more appropriately sized Voyagers, and Lugnut who - even while being a Voyager - ends up being as short as Deluxe Bumblebee when in bot mode. And since they turned Bulkhead into a Leader class figure, it makes the small size of Lugnut look even more ridiculous by comparison.

All in all I'd say that Soundwave & Sentinel are disappointing, but tolerable. Lugnut, on the other hand, is a MAJOR letdown, especially since there seem to be no plans (so far) to also make a better sized Leader class figure.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the problem with the whole Leader Lugnut thing is the fact that with his transformation it's almost impossible to make a leader size, it would end up being bigger than a house in vehicle mode UNLESS they find a REALLY good way to hide the mace, make bulkiers and bigger legs aaaand make his upper body bigger to fit with the new giga-legs.

oh btw, Sentinel is in scale with cybertronian Prime if that counts for anything.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    well. Lugnut's plane is supposed to be about as large as Megatrons, unless im mistaken. a leader would be perfectly doable, its just that it would take a little extra thought-might actually be fairly complex-but still believe it can be done.

5. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    That's what I was talking about, Lugnut's plane ends up being a really big voyager with a really short bot mode, if he was a leader unless Hasbro found a REALLY good Transformation to stay cartoon accurate he would have to be bigger than Supreme Prime to be the right bot mode size.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I had the thought the other day that Activators Bumblebee may be more in scale with the others, especially after rewatching Megatron Rising with BB taking on Starscream, who held him like a puppet.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

transformers has never been to scale before, why bother worrying about it now?

the only "in scale" transformers, ARE the alternators lol! the rest never have been, and never will be in scale.

we will always have tiny plans, big cars, huge tanks and what not. it is just how things are :) 

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone is worrying about it so much as just airing their valid desire to have certain figures made in more appropriate size classes. Something tells me that if Hasbro decided to *only* release the Activators versions of Bumblebee, *only* release the 2-Pack version of Earth mode Prime, randomly made Lockdown & Prowl into Leader class versions, made Grimlock into a Deluxe while Swoop & Snarl got Voyager & Leader versions, or made Bulkhead a Deluxe while making Lugnut a Supreme class... even the people who constantly claim that scale doesn't matter would certainly have something to say about it. As far as some of us are concerned, those examples would be just as ridiculous or poorly thought out as it was to make (or keep) Lugnut a Voyager. I mean, personally speaking, they might as well have just released the Happy Meal version of Lugnut since it's just as bad as the main Voyager version in terms of overwhelming size discrepency.

Most if us know that there will never be a perfectly scaled series, but there ARE decisions that could be made to at least keep things in relative or more acceptable scale. And for a line that is otherwise pretty spot-on in this regard, it makes the figures that are so out of whack kind of harder to accept.

Haha, and I only say any of that for discussion sake - not to feed the Leader Lugnut debate. :) 

9. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they (Hasbro) is worried more about what will sell then if they get dimensions exactly right. A parent is more likely to spend 19.99 on a toy then 39.99 and Lugnut isn't as popular as a Megatron or Bulkhead, he'd prolly be a shelfwarmer. To be honest the less Leader class the better as it's more $$ I have to spend on G1 boxed stuff as I buy 2 of everything pretty much.

They are doing a good job of coming close. I am not expecting a 4 foot tall Omega Supreme or anything like that. You guys keep thinking in terms of collectibles and not in terms of toy sales to kids where the $$ is.

10. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    And now, seriously, everybody that complains about Lugnut's size should get the toy and see yourself how fun that dude is, after all, that's what toys are all about.

Fun, not your SHOW ACCURATE DISPLAY ABURF DABURF.

11. RodimusMark

RodimusMark Infamous Fighter of Foo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lugnut is actually pretty fun, but I disagree with anyone that thinks the bot mode would have to be super humoungous, Then again, I'm really only a scale-nazi when it comes to bot mode. I would be perfectly happy with a Lugnut whose bot mode is about as big as Leader class Megatron or Bulkhead. I personally think that His plane mode will come out looking good no matter what, and I think that Meg's earth mode Chopper is a lot bigger than Lugnut's plane is in the show anyway.

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    But the problem iiis that because of Lugnut's transformation, in vehicle mode, he would be as big as God himself if he was Megatron's size.

That and the fact kids wouldn't buy it unless we have 8 Lugnut episodes in the next season.

13. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    But the problem iiis that because of Lugnut's transformation, in vehicle mode, he would be as big as God himself if he was Megatron's size.

That and the fact kids wouldn't buy it unless we have 8 Lugnut episodes in the next season.

14. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

And let's remember one thing. Leader bulkhead is only as tall as a normal voyager.

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

ROFFLE. That made me laugh.

16. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I think leader Lugs will happen. If popularity was most of what went into making leader class figs, only Megs , Optimus and Starscream would get them. I mean honestly, much as I like Ultra Magnus, I doubt he's all that popular with kids. He hasn't been in the focus of even one episode.

Lugnut, on the other hand, has been in the spotlight in several. I think with this line, for the most part, they may be trying to keep acceptable scale. I mean even my little cousin was like, why are Lugnut and Bulkhead so small?

17. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Well with the way Megatron Held Optimus in one hand in the 2nd episode of a bridge too far tells me that Deluxe 2pack Prime is the right scale :lolol 
    Which mean Sentinel Prime is in proper scale with Optimus.

Prowl is around the same size maybe slighty taller (Im not looking at it atm) With Bulkhead being the tallest of the Earth crew Autobots and Bumblebee being the smallest which means I have to get Activators BB for him to be in acurate scale... (Plus it makes the scene with Starscream holding him by his neck acurate too).
    All I need to do is make a Sari figure... the base being one of those pvp Homies female figures. (oops) :p 

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

Why would a leader class Lugnut's alt-mode size matter? Leader class toys are almost always packaged in robot mode, and the size of his plane mode (which would be irrelevant so long as the robot mode fit in the box) would mostly be wings and tail anyways. Hypothetically speaking, they wouldn't even have to change the design from the voyager; just "up-size" the design without making his bot mode too big for a leader-class box.
    I'm not saying that I expect them to do a leader figure of him or anything along those lines; just that this notion that the design somehow "can't" be done at that size is totally asinine. What's really stopping it from being done is that he simply isn't a high enough profile character and they only have so many leader class spots available before it's just no longer feesible; not the potential size of his plane mode.

19. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    You will have to be a little creative to get in scale figs. For example, Starscream, Leader Megs, Voygaer Bulkhead, Blitzwing, 2-Pack Optimus, Sentinel, Grimlock, Snarl, Swoop, Ultra Magnus, Soundwave, and probably Legends Bumblebee and Activators Ratchet are in scale with each other.

The other figs that are in scale could be Prowl, Activators Bumblebee, Ratchet, Leader Bulkhead, Jazz and Voyager Prime.

So there's no consistent scale, but many figures are in scale with each other.

20. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some scale shots of the Earth Autobots.

Deluxe Prime
    [​IMG]

Voyager Prime
    [​IMG]