Animated Toys... only interested in a handful...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kllrwlf, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Is it just me... well, it feels like it's just me.

I currently have 3 TFA toys (well, technically 4...)

Leader Megatron - Just awesome
    Grimlock - Love the bot mode
    Blackarachnia - Finally, the way she should've been done
    Bumblebee - This is my 2 year old's. He was screaming "Yellow Car! Yellow Car!" so I got him this.

The only other one that I am looking forward to is Omega Supreme.

The ones that are on the fence on getting or not:
    Snarl
    Swoop
    Ultra Magnus
    Blitzwing

The rest... don't have any interest in.

It's just due to not have any interest in the characters, themselves.

Starscream... just the same ol' SS... the only SS I liked was Armada.
    Constructicons... 2 oil-drinkin dopes
    Lugnuts... slightly reminds me of Inferno in Beast Wars (who I like)... but very flat in personality
    Blitzwing, amusing...

Lockdown, just an ugly looking bot.

Optimus... a little too righteous at times... not so great of a leader
    Rachet... another old whiner
    Bumblebee... complainer
    Prowl, arrogant, passive whiner

Ultra Magnus... don't know yet
    Sentinal Prime, what a douche bag
    Jazz... don't know.. but not liking so far

Blurr and Wreckgar... an upgrade from G1... unfortunately does nothing for me.

Any other people that's feeling the same... asking more of those that are in their upper 20's and lower 30's that grew up with G1.

2. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about Soundwave?

3. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I'm a 30-year old fan, but I can't stand the show, so I'm picking and choosing animated figures based entirely on their appearance and the cleverness of their transformation.

So far the only animated bots I really love at Activators Bee and Lockdown. Both of them are genius in their transformations, and Lockdown is so perfect in both modes, with zero kibble to indicate that either one could possibly be related. He really is a robot in disguise, and I'll definitely buy his repaint.

I got Grimlock, and I'm keeping him out of respect to the Dinobots, but I'm a bit disappointed in his gaping open chest in dino mode, and some of the strange design decisions they made for his Bot mode.

Every other Animated bot I bought I haven't liked enough to want to keep.

Voyager Prime has a nice silhouette as a bot, but his axe is dumb looking, a water squirting pistol reeks of pointless feature, and the automorph gimmick is annoying -- so much so that I ripped the one out of mine and replaced it with a nice tight waist joint for posing. And what's with all the Primes as Cabs with nothing to pull??

Blackarachnia is just flimsy all around, with a well-intentioned but ultimately disappointing weapon gimmick, soft plastic and poor joints barely holding any of the assorted poses she's supposedly capable of...and the hands just dangling from her spider legs are pretty lame too.

Ratchet...well... I didn't even open him. He's still sitting in my closet in his packaging, because a ridiculously out-of-scale pot-bellied bot is nothing I care about. I don't know why I even bought him.

I'll probably pick up Soundwave if I see him, and maybe Snarlag, but nothing else on the horizon interests me enough to fight the scalpers AND Hasbro's horrendous QC to find one.

4. Rhask

Rhask Member

I have enjoyed most of the animated line and that really suprised me.

Biggest let down would have to be voyager prime, he looks cool until he is in your hands.

Prowl and Blackarachnia are very articulate and poseable, it just takes a little bit of fussing. Most the gimmicks are super gimmicky, but I will take that over useless cybertron keys (I hate keeping these to TF Primus) and Mini-cons/Target Masters.

Ratchet is an immediate dissapointed followed by a bizzare fondness. Can't explain it, seems to happen to every collector that bought him and by all accounts he sucks for critiques. He isn't pose friendly, his gimmick sucks, and he is blipp'n ugly. Yet most of us still like him.

BB would be awesome except the Chibi porpotions, his TFormation is surprisingly very complicated.

The Deluxe Primes rank higher in my book than the voyager, both are a challenge yet fun to TF (well cyber prime pisses me off a bit, not as bad as universe prowls doors tho). More poseable and a funner transformation.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    It's funny, I went into Animated with very low expectations, and plans to only pick up the two pack battle begins. Partly as part of my reduced spending on toys, and partly due to a lack of interest.

Then I saw leader Megatron in person.

Bought it, love it. I picked up Lugnut and BA to go with him, and liked them both, though BA is a bit weak. I'll pick up UM when he comes out, and probably a version of Lockdown that I like the best. The line really suckered me in with toys that look great, are well articulated, and fun to Transform.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i love the animated series too. i love prowl. got him, bumblebee, ratchet..those are my deluxes..and got starscream today..love em all. i love how different they are from the other toy lines. the pure cartoon-ness :D  and the transformations of the ones i have are great. simple, iguess....much easier to transform than the movie ones, but still awesome..
    im looking for voyager prime and leaders megatron & bulkhead now :D 

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I started out ignoring and kinda hating Animated... but I ended up loving it and getting all the figures sofar.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 29 and a fan since '84. Weather or not I like a show doesn't really influence my choice of toys. I do have a bias towards characters I like from G1 though and bot modes over alt modes. So, generally, a toy has to be a character I like from G1 that also looks good in 'bot mode, or a new character that's designed really well. So far, I haven't been dissapointed with any of the TFA figures I've picked. But, like any line, there are quirks where I think they could have done better to suit my tastes.
    (all my following mini reviews are based of the toys as they come, not after any modifications)

Prowl- great all around. I have little complaints with him besides how useless I find his stoplight weapon.

Lockdown- Great Vehicle mode, but his hands are awkwardly placed in bot mode and his legs lack the articlation of many of the others. His size really does impress though.

Cybertron Prime- There really is nothing to complain about with him. His axe is decent, but not as good as the two pack earth prime. Everything is solid and has some of the best feeling plastic used in a transformer.

Ceybertron Deluxe Two pack Megatron- He is actually pretty good in robot mode, but his pink battle damage is not needed. His alt mode is really not impressive.

Earth Mode Two pack prime- His battle damage isn't needed, otherwise he works much like Cybertron Prime but feels lighter, probably due to his unneeded waist gimmick. Great figure.

Voyager Starscream- I like him just fine, but his fingers easily disslodge from his hangs.

Voyager Prime- Absolutely slick looking and bulky as a bot. His axe and gun are pretty much garbage though. He is also slightly less articulated then his cheaper counterparts, but he really does have the best looking robot mode all in all.

Leader Megatron- Great all around. My ONLY problem with him is how his knees lean inward when you put his legs straight down and makes him kinda look like he's gotta pee real bad.

Voyager Grimlock- He's my favorite so far. His arms aren't the MOST posable, but they get the job done and thanks to the posability in his legs, he can get some great poses. His dino mode does have the gap, but I will mostly display him in bot mode. I think this is the best Grimlock we've every had.

So, I guess that sums up what I have so far. I never like saying that I like a whole line. I don't personally care what line what toy is under as long as they appeal to me.

9. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i agree with all on prowl. great figure, weird traffic light weapon.
    i like bumbebee and ratchet too..and i love starscream
    the rest...i dont know yet

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    ^hmm...I guess I'll pass on voyager prime when I see him?
    Mcdonalds coupons have convinced me on leader bulkhead though.

some additional thoughts:

transformers fruit snacks: buy them. They taste like thunder sharks. And are made with both apple and pear juice. yum.
    (general mills product in the 80s)

-ratchet: kind of kiddy looking abulance. But the transformation is about normal for a deluxe with a automorphing head. you get your money's worth with morphing hands and four tools.

-grimlock: great light pipeing. Some of the robot mode articulation seems restricted. The automorph does so little you may not notice it.
    The sword helps the figure alot though and yo

-lugnut: some restricted movement in the arms. The mace activates very easily when it is plugged into the hands and the button is pressed.
    My decepticon lineup could'nt do without lugnut. I like the way the legs snap in for vehicle mode. It's really smooth.

voyager megatron: ratcheting joints. has a fireing missle, and a lot of weight.
    The alt mode reminds me of the interlockers from captain power: defenders of the future.

deluxe megatron: Much closer to the animation model for the cybertronian robot, except for the face. Which I believe looks like g1 megatrons face.
    (probably intentional considering earth deluxe prime)

earth deluxe prime-
    cybertronian deluxe prime-
    prowl-
    starscream-
    lockdown-

basicly what liege prime said for these. probably will pick up bumblebee with the wal mart three pack this september.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Lugnut and Ultra Magnus later.

Maybe you don't like the characters, but as a toy collector, they're both worthy figures of your money.

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I am not getting any of them so I understand what you are saying. Just not cool-looking enough to warrant spending the money. Just buy ones YOU like and if there aren't any hold off and save money for a Transformer that you will enjoy more.

13. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I've still got mixed feelings on Animated as a Toyline, as I've said in other threads. This hasn't prevented me from picking up a few, however, nor will it keep me from getting selected figures in the future. Honestly, with so many choices out there for my money, it's better I can pick and choose.

On the various Optimi - Let's face it, there's a good reason for having four Optimus versions in this line. Given the show, people are going to want several things:

1. A Clean alt mode that contains everything, but hides it all nicely, all the parts tucked away with no bits to lose.

2. Optimus' face with the faceplate

3. Optimus' face WITHOUT the faceplate

4. Optimus' faceplate as a retractable gimmick

5. Optimus' Firetruck add-on

6. A Show-accurate axe.

Now, given the limits of what can and can't be done translating Animation to Real-world objects, not all of this is going to be possible all at once in a single toy, so they broke it up.

Cybertron-mode optimus has the no-faceplate look, and the goodies that all tuck away neatly... probably the lowest on the list, but he is easily the cleanest of the versions of Optimus, as well as the most poseable (I think, I don't actually have him)

2 pack Optimus has the faceplate look, and the show-accurate axe, with the tradeoff that the axe basically hangs off the back of his vehicle mode. For some reason they gave him that stupid punch gimmick, but that seems to be a requirement for 2-packs these days. Also the axe is outsized, and while it looks good like that, one wonders if it wasn't MEANT for Voyager Prime.

Voyager Optimus has the retracetable faceplate to give both looks, but naturally the gimmick is an imperfect representation of how it works on the show, since it's physically impossible to replicate that perfectly. He also has the fire truck add-on, but at the cost of his axe, which is the least show-accurate of the two (Unless he gets some sort of upgrade in-show). He also has the auto-transform gimmick, in an attempt to replicate the 'spin-form' bit the Autobots do on the show.

None of them are bad figures. In fact, they're ALL surprisingly good figures, even by the spoiled standards Classics and the better Cybertron molds have given us. Each one simply makes different tradeoffs to give us what Hasbro perceives we want in the figs.

Black Arachnia, for her faults (Which I personally find are few) is still the best fembot we've ever gotten. Let's face it, all of the fembots we've had up until now have had bizarre proportions, in some cases been unstable or unposable, and in pretty much every case had malformed, unusable hands. Black Arachnia stacks up well to the other deluxes in her line.

Prowl is a nifty little bot, and one of the best bikeformers I've ever seen. His gimmicks are wonderfully integrated into him, and he just feels clean and polished. Again, I'm happy I got him.

Leader Megatron looks good, and is definitely imposing, and is a very faithful homage to G1 Megatron. The fact Hasbro has finally figured out to stop using cheesy stand-in voice actors for show actor sound clips helps a great deal. I'll pick him up... next paycheck (PLEASE still be there!)

Ultra Magnus? How long has it been since we've had a decent version of UM? RiD? Bring him on please. He will be mine.

Omega Supreme? Again... the Energon version wasn't bad, but... his alt mode left something to be desired. This one is pure love... he looks like his G1 self more, even has the head turret, his alt mode is basically Animated's Ark, and they got the original voice. Yoink, mine.

The rest so far don't interest me.

14. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    personally i only buy toys based on the qualities of the toy, i dont give a hoot how it relates to a TV show or my like/dislike of a particular character. It makes sense to me to say 'i like that toy, i'll buy it' but it doesnt make sense if somebody says 'thats a really horrible toy but its 'insert favourite character' so i must buy it.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Animated Omega's VA wasn't his G1 voice.

For me I was only interested in the Dinobots, Soundwave, Lockdown, and Blitzwing. However Ultra Magnus, Wreck Gar, and Omega Supreme look like winners. Possibly the Starscream's too.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know. I never plan on getting only certain figures, but I'm really slow on picking up TFA toys. I have none. I have seen so many fantastic photos of those, and that somehow made me very picky. I intend to get only the ones I really, really want, not running into the toy aisle and grabbing whatever I see like I did early Cybertron and Classics run.

17. Commtech

Commtech Voice Over Bot

News Credits:
    My opinion about TFA has changed after I've purchased them. Everytime I open a TFA package, I am surprised at how great this toys are. They are toys that you really need to see in person and play with them to fully appreciate.

18. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I also didn't care much for the show when it first came out, nor did I like the character designs they used. It was gonna be easy for me to pass on this line for the most part.

I only really intended to get Prowl, voyager Prime, Voyager Megatron, Starscream, and the Dinobots.

Now I have all of those(except Swoop), plus a few extras. I'm still trying to take it easy on this line for financial reasons, but these are indeed great toys. The only ones I was disappointed with were Prime and Lockdown. However, once I tightened a few joints on Prime and fixed Lockdown's hand, everything is good now.

19. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i only own 5 of 6 mcdonalds animated toys lol.....but i want to get Starscream (i love me some starscream) and grimlock cuz they both look awesome IMO.

and probably bumblebee for my gf

20. defstar

defstar Autobot...

To me animated is a second chance at a G1 type toy line that I could be in on from the start...that said I've taken full advantage of it and have purchased two of every figure so far (except the leaders)...like them all some more than others but a line worth not missing out on imo...