Animated: The Cool #5 (translated!)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by DrSpengler, Aug 3, 2010.

1. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The Cool issue 05

No, I didn't miss an issue. I just revised the numbering from 0 through 4, to 0 through 5 (figured what I initially mistook for a "prologue" was just a really short first issue).

As you can see, it's a truncated adaptation of "Megatron Rising - Part 2", but the art's pretty nifty.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The art has gone downhill even more. Megatron's face is horribly distorted in his first full-body shot, and Sumdac looks hideous. Dead Starscream is just horribly drawn.

I remember somebody got on my case once because I didn't like Boo's art for the Animated Arrival, said my 'standards" weren't flexible enough, and while it's still not my favourite, I do appreciate it now as it's own consistent style that fits over Animated's existing style. This isn't an art style, it's doodles. Where's the consistency or flow of the art from panel to panel?

AND one of my favourite subtle aspects of the Animated show is just casually tossed aside with no regard. *sigh*

3. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...whoa

Starscreams face in that one panel

4. DrSpengler

There IS something off about Megatron on Page 3. It's like he's missing a chunk off the top left side of his head.

I didn't mind Starscream's "corpse face" so much. I rather liked the horiffic exaggeration.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It'd actually be more effective if he didn't have horrific exaggeration. He looks like he's making a silly face, not dead. A face of death should look calm and lifeless since they're, y'know, lifeless. Not... whatever expression fuck that is.

It's like they have no concept of subtlety to any degree other than "not at all."

6. DrSpengler

Well, I sort of saw it as being "horiffic" on a level akin to this (though by no means as well-drawn as Wildman's piece, there).

I won't argue it was handled better visually in the cartoon, of course. Still, I mean, I don't have a problem with Tsushima taking a visual divergence from the cartoon to keep his adaptation more distinct.

I wish he wasn't doing an adaptatin in the *first place*, but that's another matter.

7. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Interesting how they jumped straight to the Elite Guard's arrival right in the middle of Megatron and Optimus' first battle. I guess the next issue will be Optimus' report of how he and his crew defeated Megatron and the Decepticons.

And how nice of Megatron to respect Optimus enough to remember his name from early on in Japan.

Anyone else think Megatron and Starscream had very prominent teeth this issue?

In regards to the art style, I actually don't mind seeing a dramatic Japanese take on TFA. It offers something a little different from the show, even when the stories are similar.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would prefer original stories over adaptations for comics based on shows.

But the thing is, that's not "horrific" at all. It's comical. He looks like he came from the Ren and Stimpy show.

In fact, that's what these mangas are, the Transformers Animated Ren and Stimpy show.

And suddenly I hate the art a lot less. EDIT: No... I, I really don't.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I appreciate the manga as its own stylistic thing, though there is a lot of inconsistency, especially in this installment. One panel looks like Naoto is trying harder than usual to mimic the actual cartoon model, another is "standard manga badass expression #4", and yet another goes heavily cartoony in ways not seen in most other media forms.

While I won't say I dislike the art, I am a bit disappointed that Megatron actually gives a crap who Optimus Prime is in this adaptation. Takes away from the character dynamic.

Hey there Jetfire, Jetstorm. What the hell are you guys doing here? :) 

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Feralstorm, love the Bulkhead and Arcee sig pic! Where's it from? And what's that on Bulky's arm?

And about Megatron already treating Optimus Prime as his equal match, i guess the Japanese didn't want to deviate from the familiar Megatron/Optimus rivalry. It seems evident in their dub of the show too where Megatron does refer to Optimus by name many times. TFA Optimus and Megatron do have rather different characters in the Japanese dub. Optimus is played up as the familiar confident, strong-willed and heroic leader, whilst Megatron is a growling, prone to rage, evil tyrant. Quite different from the modest and inexperienced young Optimus and the cold, calculating, intelligent and sinister Megatron we know.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I like the US version of the cartoon where Megatron never refers to Optimus Prime by name until the final episode. He does it twice in this ... Andrew Wildman inspired artwork manga.