Minor/Repaint: Animated Sludge WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by bradforj, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Using Spurt's Sludge as inspiration, I am making my own Sludge. I have altered the transformation scheme that Spurt used by splitting the head and allowing it to form wings (capturing the winged look of a G1 Sludge). The robot head has been dyed black, with the face painted silver.

3/28/09: I've been experimenting with dyeing with RIT dye some more. I gave the chest a bath in black dye, giving it a deeper red. This should set Sludge apart from Ani-Snarl. I am going to do the real Snarl using a fully black chest (Ani-Snarl is really my Slag). Also, note what a short bath in black does for the Cheetoh weapon! Dyeing is done in a deep fryer set to 160.

3/30/09: Final update for now. Added 5th picture, showing revised chest with logo, plus red trim on shoulders and knees has been painted gold.

Attached Files:

2. Osiricon

Osiricon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I might be slow but where did you get your sludge head? Also how did you get it attached?

3. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

were did you get the head from?

as for tail you could try clasic grimlocks maybe? or use the tail as a type of sword perhaps

4. bradforj

News Credits:
    The head is from a Power Rangers transforming black ranger from the Dino-Thunder series. I flipped Animated Snarl over, then turned the legs. After that I cut off the gold part of his tail and sanded the remaining surface smooth. I then trimmed the neck of the Power Ranger head to fit onto the smoothed off tail and drilled holes from the inner part of the tail into the dino neck. Each neck half is attached by a small screw. To connect the neck halves in dino mode I put a small plastic pin into one inner neck half and made a matching hole in the other neck half.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Splitting the Dino head was pretty sweet!!...:thumb 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    this transformation makes him look like Snarl hehehe

7. bradforj

News Credits:
    That never occurred to me, but you are right. Snarl was the only one with a splitting dino head. Oh well, on my shelf that distinction now goes to Sludge :) 

8. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Head looks awesome, and the idea of splitting it is great too! Very distinct looking.

My only concern is the rear end now looks a little unfinished with all that blocky robotic looking black parts in contrast to the smooth-shelled other parts. Are you still planning something for this, or is it staying as is?

9. bradforj

News Credits:
    I am taking a 24 hour break from it, just to sleep on it and think a bit more. I agree that the aesthetic of the rear is a bit off, but I think painting the side-facing part of the black bits in gray will bring it together more.

10. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

someone should try using power rangers titanus/titanos dinosaur head. I would love to see that head used as it would be a good fit in my opinion. I dont have the time or skill to do it otherwise I would.

Awesome job by the way!

11. bradforj

News Credits:
    Is there a small Titanus (6" scale)? The head from the large zord would be too big.

12. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is impressive, I love the idea of splitting the Dino head!!!!

13. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Shaping up very nicely.
    I love the approach you took with the head splitting,i pondered that when i did mine but i figured cutting the head would be a nightmare but it has to be said the cut on yours looks very neat & i know it cant have been easy to do,so maximum respect.

One thing i would suggest is bulking up the back feet.
    Look forward to seeing more.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Reversing the front legs and hind legs to make a Brachiosaur, eh? That's actually pretty clever. The short tail works perfectly as well. Well done!

15. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Great job here! I still am trying to make my Ani Sludge a Voyager, but I may end up going this route!:thumbs2: 

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Knew it.

Insane job on that one man, looks fairly easy with your instructions. :)  (I could never do that though. :lol )

17. bradforj

News Credits:
    Cutting the head was painstakingly done using a box cutter. It is a bit rubbery (as you already know), so it wasn't as bad as hard plastic would be. But making sure to get in the middle of the little spikes was tough.

I'm unsure what the back, including feet, needs. I'm focusing on the chest at the moment, but may revisit the back end.

Thanks for the comments. You are the master of ani-dinos, so your message is appreciated!

18. bradforj

News Credits:
    update!

19. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I like the darker red that you got from dying it. The gold details and such on the chest are also very nice. Very different indeed.

I would never have thought of using a deep fryer to dye. Did any of the dye stick to the metal? I've never worked with dye before, but I plan on dying the orange parts on my Galvatron in the future (already bought the dye, just waiting for some free time.).

20. bradforj

News Credits:
    The dye does not get into the metal. It actually penetrates plastic, making it much better than paint. Good luck, and thanks for the comments!