Minor/Repaint: Animated Slag... no, really.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Sep 9, 2012.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Kind of an overdue upgrade to a little figure I've had kicking around for years. TFA Snarl is cute in Dino mode, but his robot mode always drove me crazy. Just too... tiny and dopey looking? I've always been a sucker for a more G1 flavour, so I tried to give him a proper G1 Slag look, and a more respectable size thanks to some parts taken from a spare TFA Grimlock. Now I just need a Snarl and Sludge. :) 

This was one of those customs you don't see coming. I had no plan. I was going through my stuff, looking or something else entirely, and suddenly out of the blue I had Animated Snarl in my hands, and was going "hmmmmmm".

Three hours, one self-inflicted knife-wound, and a glass of wine later (in that order, I swear), I had this:

[​IMG]

He's the fattest Triceratops ever, and his dino mode is a bit gappy (though, in fairness, so is Grimlock's), but everything feels pretty solid. Some paint touch-ups might help match the differing reds and greys and make him seem a bit more coherent, but so far I'm pretty happy with the way he turned out just the same.

[​IMG]

This was my favourite kind of kitbash... the "dry" kind. The entire thing was achieved with a screwdriver and a knife, and pretty much just the parts on-hand. No gluing or dremeling or complex fabrication (though the robot head isn't permanently attached yet, so that may change), and relatively little swearing and blood loss. ;) 

zmog

Attached Files:

2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That feels pretty good nice work.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Another inspired, original and just plain cool kitbash, Smog. :thumb 

4. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

He looks....imposing. Good one.

5. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Great, now I have to go find a second hand animated Grimlock.
    Damn you, Smog!:wink: 

6. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    that robot mode is awesome. really likin that. the dino mode is alright. it'd look better if his legs were down but overall, nice work :thumb 

7. SMOG

When you say "legs down" you mean his robot legs in dino mode, right?

I've shaved a bit more plastic here and there and gotten them to sit a little lower (which closes that gap on his side just a bit more) but that's about the limit. During the "mapping things out" phase, I figured that a slightly longer waist and a ball socket joint there would allow the legs to lie flatter on the back. I installed the ball-joint, but it really messed with the robot mode shape too much, so I pulled the ball-joint and attached the waist with a simple rotating screw instead.

I wouldn't mind the high arch on his back so much if it didn't have that break in it, but that's an issue inherited from the Grimlock legs themselves. When I first got Animated Grimmy, I was puzzled why Hasbro left that big gap.

Thanks for the comments! :) 

zmog

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Did he always have a helmet face on his chest?

9. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    yeah

10. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

That is a vast improvement!

11. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

That is awesome!

12. SMOG

Hwhaat?

Wait... does he now have a gladiator helmet for a chest? Hah! That was a total accident! :lol 

And no, that chest is totally reconfigured. He used to have the triceratops head on his chest, and the waist now connects where his neck was.

zmog

13. kregon

kregon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I dig the simplicity of this. You have a good eye for part swapping! I too love simple mods like this. Good job!

14. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    HFS!!!!! He's voyager height in bot mode?? Wow I love both modes

15. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

That is just fantastic Smog!

16. SMOG

I am a lazy kitbasher, for sure! :D 

Unfortunately, things don't always work out quite so perfectly. I mean, this still took some work to get all the parts to fit, but I didn't hit any major blocks, which is nice. I never had to break out the epoxy.:) 

Yup. He's pretty much exactly the same size as TFA Grimlock. His arms aren't quite as long and gorilla-like as Grimlock's though...

I should tip my hat to you, Spoon... this morning before I posted this, I looked up other bashes for Animated Slag. I hadn't remembered your Animated Dinobots until I saw your Slag again. Yours has a very similar rearrangement of the chest area, though a lot more extensively rebuilt overall. Not sure if that subconsciously helped guide me on this one, but I figure it's good to salute those who have travelled the same road before you. ;) 

zmog

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Not bad at all. Color matching shouldn't be hard at all.

18. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Now he actually LOOKS like Slag to me! I agree about the robot mode looking to squat and dopey. And it also added a bit of heft to the robot mode. Looking for a way to make a more G1 style robot mode with him and some extra parts from various Dollar Store/Family Dollar KOs, but yours looks fantastic! And hey, do you REALLY need to match the colors? They look pretty good as is.

19. SMOG

The colours don't look too bad as-is... but the two different reds and two different greys do tend to break up the look of the bot a bit more... draws attention to where he's basically 2 toys fused together.

I'd be tempted to silver him up, G1 oldschool style, but it feels like it might be weird since Animated was all about the flat colours. I'll probably just find a nice flat grey, do those parts, and leave the reds as they are.

When you put this guy, Grimlock and Swoop in a row, one thing I like (which is not exactly a G1-accuracy thing) is the way that it emphasizes a primary colour theme in each bot... yellow (gold) for Grimlock, blue for Swoop and red for Slag. Makes me feel like Sludge or Snarl would have to have their own colours as well if I ever get around to them.

zmog

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    man....that really looks great....so much better than what we got officially.