Animated Skywarp

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Apr 8, 2009.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    With all the hubub of the 5 dollar target exclusives fiasco, i've noticed alot of people saying they wouldn't pay 25 bucks for the sunstorm because he's a repaint. But because he's 5 bucks they couldn't pass him up. And the same goes for Shockwave. But I've seen numurous times people expressing that if they see a Skywarp in a store they would buy him in an instant, they just haven't found him yet. Why is there no love for Sunstorm but people chomping at the bit for Skywarp? Or am I just mistaken?

2. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because skywarp, thundercracker, and starscream are more well known? Sunstorm, Hydrostorm, and Acidstorm were not regulars in the original series. Hell, i didnt even know who the 'storms were until i did research on them.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Skywarp's a real character with history. Sunstorm is an extra. For me, it's like choosing between buying a figure of Hans Gruber, or one of a no-name terrorist who got machinegunned without speaking a line.

4. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats not a totally accurate assessment. Sunstrom was a major character in the Dreamwave comic series.

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    While this is true, Skywarp got more exposure from the G1 toon & Marvel comic and is thus more "popular".

For me, I am actually skipping the Starscream clones. But if I found a Skywarp for $5 I would get it though. I am also hoping they do a Classics version of Sunstorm too.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Never read the Dreamwave comics. Doubt that that many people have. And you're talking about a comic series that ended, what? Four years ago? That's still a pretty minor character to me.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Because Skywarp is awesome and Sunstorm is an ugly mess of yellow and orange.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd have to say that it is because SKywarp is a more widely accepted character. Myself... I love the mess of orange and yellow. I want to have them all.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I take it you mean the Rainmakers from the G1 ep. "Divide and Conquer"? Of the three, I think the only one with an actual licenced name is Acid Storm. Sunstorm is like the "fourth seeker" of the non-coneheads from the begining as he was just a generic seeker who grew into his own character years later through E-Hobby and DW. I'm not sure where Hydrostorm came from, but I take it he's the blue rainmaker.

But your logic is probably correct in that Screamer, TC, and SW are better known than Sunny, simply being that Sunstorm isn't technicaly a G1 character created during the G1 heyday. Plus, since there's already the main Screamer toy and the activator of Thundercracker, people probably just want to complete the set.

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If it was Thundercracker and not Sunstorm I would have gotten the battlepack even if it's $25 retail. I passed up 'Storm and now that it's up to $22 I have no desire to buy it still.

11. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing is that most people(Not the TF fandom) don't know about any of the TF comics outside of Marvel. I believe that a small percentage of the fandom reads the comics. I could be wrong, but who knows.

As for Sunstorm, He does play a role in the TFA series so I don't see if there is no love for him. I think he's just a repaint that the bright colors is a turn off to some people.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    For me it's the color scheme. I always liked Skywarp's colors best.

13. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Because everyone loves a bot in black.

14. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree in part to that, i don't know what possesed them to make Thundercracker an Activator and Sunstorm a Voyager...What???.
    Anyhow, i managed to get a decent copy of Sunstorm (i.e almost no QC issues) for the $5 deal (awsome because i was planning on getting Ratchet anyways, i figured that I'm getting a discount on the activator and getting Sunstorm for free) , and after liberating him from the box i realized that it looks pretty good next to god old Starscream, so guess what, I got lucky and found a Skywarp (it wasn't bought I guess because the box was a mess, but the toy was intact) and got him (I don't know why i never got him before since I personally LOVE this mold, but i always thought that the colors were kind of too purple for me, besides I'm more of a Starscream collector than a seekers collector) and it's great next to my other 2 seekers. So in the end, I'm glad i got Sunstorm because otherwise i wouldn't have gotten Skywarp.
    Now if they only release freaking Thundercracker on Voyager i'll be set (until i complete my MP seekers that is :wink:  ).

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Animated Skywarp is the best version of the mold. I own him and Starscream, him I like, Starscream I'm indifferent on. It's mostly down to Skywarp having much nicer colors :) 

(Also, those rear panels don't fall off when I look at them funny. That really kills Starscream for me)

16. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Sunstorm has more of a presence in the Animated show if I remember correctly.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Skywarp's awesome in the cartoon.

Sunstorm's great, but orange/bright yellow are not colours everyone is in to. Black and purple are much more widely appreciated colours.

18. Cyko-Destructo

Cyko-Destructo Rock-Lord

i gotta say right off the bat that without even opening them sunstorm had some quality controll issues, poor paint apps, i cant transform mine without the head popping off (i dont need him to go jet mode but id be happy if it worked correctly, and the plastic feels a little thin, but i done have ani screamer or skywarp.

skywarp is clearly a more popular sharacter, ive seen hime on transformers posters and calanders and in many series of toys, like rid classics animated and so on , and sunstorm probly turns people off with his bright colors (purple and black are like signature decep colors, yellow and orange? if i put huffer next to him hed look like sunstorms mini con, that being said i so appriciate the color and contrast ol sunny has added to my decipticon display, i can see why hes not as popular as warpy, but i still like him, ill probly like him better when i can get a fine tipped sharpie to touch up his face

the activator figs are awesome, no qc issues, the only thing i wish was different was i wish ratchet did not have the chip on his horn , it bus me for some reason

19. Autobot_Lancer

Autobot_Lancer Just call it Smokescreen

Personally I don't care, either way I'll get both sunstrom and skywarp just to complete my animated line. Now the only issue i have is trying to find these guys here in canada. I may just have to ebay them.

20. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Skywarp has the better color scheme, but I still think Sunstorm works better. The molded grin fits him much better than the cowardly Skywarp./end nerd rant