Minor/Repaint: Animated Sky-Byte

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by misternewuzer, Oct 19, 2011.

1. misternewuzer

misternewuzer Predacon Secret Police

UPDATE 11-13:

So the Allspark Almanac Addendum came out this week in the back of the trade copy of The Stunticon Job. My copy of the AAA hasnt arrived yet, but a kind anon over at 4chan posted scans, and i was able to find this character model (blown up, hence the blur):
    [​IMG]

Seeing this I didn't hesitate and plowed through some painting in my excitement. There are some obvious painting errors, but hey, it's my first time, I'm willing to forgive myself:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I'm not done with certain paint apps, and in other areas I can probably add another coat. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I've done here so far:
    [​IMG]

Lastly, one more angle. I need to figure out what I'm gonna do about the head. I can paint, sure, but I don't have much faith in my sculpting skills. Gonna either try my own hand at it, or possibly hire someone out to sculpt it for me:
    [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks. This here is my first posted kitbash (my first kitbash being a TFA Bludgeon I'm still not ready to reveal). It is obviously a repaint of Atomic Lugnut into TFA Sky-Byte colors as per his appearance in the last panel of Botcon's "Stunti-con Job."
    [​IMG]
    I've been using Testors flat enamels, thinned a bit, though I think I might thin a lil more. I'm not completely comfortable in my re-assembly skills yet, so I haven't taken too many parts off and apart to paint, but I'm being as thorough as possible.
    [​IMG]
    I decided I'm not gonna sculpt a new head, but will sculpt upon the already existing head... problem is, I'm not really too sure what to use, or where to find it. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    I'll need the Comic Shop release of "Stunti-con Job" with the included Alspark Almanac 2.5, hopefully there will be an included profile for Skye-Byte so that I can paint his lower half accurately. Can't wait til November!
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, some constructive criticism would be extremely appreciated- this is my first public attempt at a kitbash and I'm not sure I could handle being boo'd off stage, haha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    for sculting use Crayola Model Magic, once your all done and painted, hit that puppy with a solid coat of Testors Laquer CLEAR

Sexy job,

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eww. Hell no.

That stuff's fun for kids' projects, but has no business on a custom. Dries into a styrofoam-like substance, and can't hold a sharp sculpt at all.

The best choice is Aves' Apoxie Sculpt, which can be ordered through their website (Welcome to Aves Studio).

But if that's beyond you, go seek out a local Games Workshop and buy a package of Green Stuff.

4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Close

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I concur. I've only been using it for a little bit but am in love with it. It's so easy to use and cures so nicely.

6. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Did you think about using some styrene as well?

7. Irish Carnage

Irish Carnage Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    This.^

i use aves apoxie sculpt too, i only use it on surface areas though. i use green stuff for internal pieces, i find it holds better.

great custom too lad.

8. misternewuzer

I was wondering about styrene, but I'm really not sure how it works, or where to get some. I'm awfully new to this whole kitbash thing, ya know, getting past the planning stages, haha.

9. Godzilock Prime

Godzilock Prime Well-Known Member

You know...they say that he's the greatest shark around. This toy lives up to that description.

10. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    This is a very cool Start, someone Else started One a Long Time ago here on the boards with an amazing headsculp and cool altmode mods too, but cannot find it anymore to Show you :-(

11. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

nice

12. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I remember that one. He used Green Stuff for the sculpting and based it off of the drawing of the head that Wyatt didn't do in the AllSpark Almanacs.

13. misternewuzer

bump. Got some new paint apps to show off.

14. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I really like the deep blue and yellow composition on this one :) 

15. misternewuzer

Thanks! I was concerned the color choice wasn't vivid enough and therefore not quite "Animated," but I think it works well. :]

Please everyone, I'm open to criticisms and suggestions.

I'm also in the market for 1-3 TFA Decepticon logos from Reprolabels if anyone has any they'd be willing to part with.

Also, seriously considering commissioning a headsculptor, any active artists I should know about?