Animated second chance

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Ok here as some people may have seen from some of my posts i have mentioned several times how I am not the biggest fan of Transformers Animated. I have also mentioned it is my least favorite TF series. But about 3 weeks ago i decided to watch a couple episodes a day on youtube and give it another shot. Today i finished by watching Endgame Part 1 and Part 2. So my opinion of the show is.....better. I will give a quick review of what i think.

Episodes 1-3 Transform and Roll Out was pretty good ill say i nice unique way to start the series. It was intresting and entertaining.

Episodes 4-6 Home is where the spark is, Total Meltdown, Blast from the Past were all pretty meh episodes. Not Horrible. But not that good i would say. They just made the slightest thing seem like a huge threat. Not horrible but defintly nothing special.

Episode 7 Thrill of the Hunt, was entertaining and was defintly an improvement. I would call a solid episode.

Episode 8 and 9 Nanosec and Along Came a Spider. Nanosec is defiantly the least entertaining episode yet, kind of a waste. while Along Came a spider was decent and portayed a great young Optimus. While it bothers me a little how Elita 1 is BA and kicks Optimus ass.

10 Sound and Fury. PROFESSOR PRINCESS appears:drunk  so yeah that scene really kills animated having her beat up Bulkhead in the beginning. Besides that it was all right. I cared alot for Bulkhead in this episode. But for those who complain about the Bay films having the cons being defeated to easy, Soundwave is defeated my ONE PUNCH. In the films the cons die from explosions and missles, not 1 punch

Lost and Found and Survival of the Fittest were both good episodes. Not great but good for what we've gotten so far...

Headmaster and Nature calls were kind of bad

Megatron Raising was really good for TFA by this point i gotta say these two episodes helped improve the show. All together season 1 was meh as a whole. nothing special so far.

The Elite Guard, The Return of the Headmaster, Mission Accomplished were all good episodes. Besides the fact Ultra Magnus is king of emotionless and let Setinal do his own thing.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, Velocity, Rise of the Constructicons all Meh. Besides Werid AL he made Garbage In, Garbage Out alot better.

A Fistful of Energon was a good episode and is one of my favorite episodes out of S1 and S2.

SUV is annoying and the worst episode ever of Transformers in my opinion. All those human villans HOLY CRAP MAKE IT END!! This was Bumblebee most annoying episode also.

Autoboot Camp was interesting to see cybertron and again i thought Bulkhead was a great lovable character. But they made Ironhide an asshole which pisses me off!

Black Friday is a good episode of TFA.
    Sari, No One's Home very painful moments from all 5 Autobot being Blitzwings bitches to Sari owning the contructicons.

A Bridge Too Close, Part I and 2 was a huge step up for the series! Nice to see Blurr with John Moschitta as his voice. Also Optimus held is own in battle. All together Season 2 was an improvement then from season 1 besides it having the worst episode ever in that season as a whole it was better.

TransWarped 1,2,3 was also improving the series. The first scene was great but it annoyed me that they gave us Rodimus for a couple minutes only to never see him again. The Headmaster and Sari rampage was a waste of time but it got better with Omega Supreme attack.

Three's a Crowd is my least favorite episode this season. it was just Meh

Where Is Thy Sting?,Five Servos of Doom, Predacons Rising where all really good episodes from animated and this is when i started to enjoy the show during its original run.

Human Error, Part I and 2 were both good episodes but again Soundwave gets beaten way to easy! And people complain about Cons being killed by explosions in the movies?

Decepticon Air- Favorite episode of the series
    This Is Why I Hate Machines-Solid Ratchet episode and nice references added and good to see Cybertron.
    Endgame, Part I and 2 were both really good episodes and Prowl death was sad. Not much to say besides season 3 only problem was threes a crowd and the middle of Transwarp. Besides that s3 was the best season with a good prefomance. I will admit i would have like a S4. But i still think as a whole this is still my least favorite TF series. But it went from horrible in my mind to ok/decent. Season3 is definatly worth sticking around for.

The Characters
    Optimus Prime - I used to hate him not being the leader but not seeing how only Ultra Magnus out ranks him i guess its ok. But is a well developed character

Bumblebee- my least favorite BB. Don't hate him anymore but still don't like him.

Ratchet, Prowl, and Bulkead were all very well Developed and were likable characters. Also professor sumdac was an entertaining human. I hated Sari in S1 and 2 but she was whole lot better in S3.

Megatron was truely great but needed way more screen time this guy didn't take shit from Starscream who in this series was a pretty good incarnation of the character.

Lugnut was a great character and want more of him while Blitzwing and Blackarcina were ok just not used enough for an opinion.

All the human villains are pathetic besides Master Disaster who i have no opinion on.

Ultra Magnus - Ok dude you expel Optimus from the Elite guard even thou you are somewhat aware the whole insident is Setinals fault. THEN YOU MAKE SETINAL 2nd in command of the Elite guard.....
    Also you get owned by Starscream and Shockwave, some leader. Also Shockwave a good chracter and was very G1 like but Ratchet easily went up agaisnit him and kind of defeated shockwave in a fight. Same with Bulkhead and Bumblebee. So one old medic and 2 space bridge repair crew members can fight off Shockwave but not the Autobot leader.....????

Jazz- was great
    Setinal- an annoying power hungry JeRK who at times is a coward

Some of the references in the series was nice but was overused i think to win over older fans.

All together the show had good episodes during s2 and for the most part S3. But still as a whole the show was alright. I don't see why it is so praised now among the fandom. I will admit Optimus Ratchet Prowl and Bulkhead were great main characters but they could have been given a little more respcet when the show was being written. Also i wished we had more Jazz and Ironhide wasn't an asshole. The show had some great characters but just didn't use them right in the end. This show is slightly better in my opinion now.

2. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I'm glad you gave TFA another chance.

As for the defeats of Soundwave, they do make some sense. He's not built out of Cybertronian metals. He's built out of Earth metals and plastic (Lots of his components are toys, after all). His entire shtick is to play the puppetmaster. He's not the brawler like he was in G1.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Sentinel outranks Optimus too. Lots of guys do.

4. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    I actually like Optimus not being the grand leader. Means his mistakes are more forgivable and he gets the opportunity for more development (When Optimus tends to be the supreme leader of all Autobots, he tends to be boring hell and he's never treated as fallible).

5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Actually a point is made in one episode where Optimus reminds sentinel that that are both prime, so while sentinel may be the prime of the elite guard he still has the same rank as optimus

6. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

Sentinel and optimus are both primes they are the same rank but have different crews and stations

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Until Season 3, when Sentinel becomes acting Magnus.

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Animated was the best show in a long time for me as far as Transformers is concerned.

9. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

acting magnus is just a stand in he has no power a magnus would have whatever that maybe

10. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Only he ever called himself Magnus though, his title rank and power were still prime. He didn't have any real power except his fear mongering, all of his decisions were supposed to go through the council as long as ultra magnu was alive and in the event of his death sentinel would only remain acting Magnus until the council chose a new one.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    He has no power? He has lots of power. He initiated planet-wide curfews. He was going to have Fortress Maximus at Omega Supreme. He later decided to have the captured Decepticons locked up at Trypticon Prison, to mock Megatron.

As acting Magnus, Sentinel ruled Cybertron. There's a council that he's supposed to work with, but thanks to his powers as Magnus he was able to actively ignore their input, like when they wanted him to wait on deciding whether or not to fire on Omega Supreme, and he did it anyways (luckily Omega warped out of the way).

Having him just fill the role in name only without the full power of Magnus would have been pointless. He absolutely had the power to back it up. If his power was still that of a Prime, he never would have had the authority to enforce planetary curfews and shut down "seedy" places like Maccadam's Old Oil House, and never had the authority to have Fortress Maximus fire at Omega Supreme, and he wouldn't have had any say in where Megatron and the other Decepticons were imprisoned. There are lots of Primes. There's no way they all had the authority to make these calls. Every time these decisions were made, we saw Sentinel alone being the one who made them. So we now Sentinel had plenty of power as acting Magnus.

If Season 4 would have been made, he would have become the actual Magnus, and created the Powermaster armor after Megatron escaped. He was even going to invade earth to collect the rest of the Allspark fragments to use to defeat Megatron.

12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Saying the if season 4 was made is moot. It wasnt made so he was never actually Magnus. As I said before, all of his power came from fear mongering not from any actual authority he held. Do you not remember all of the propoganda campaigns from the ep where ratchet and fanzone go to cybertron? Or him refusing to heed alpha trions order to not fire on omega supreme? If he really was in charge the. Alpha trion or anyone on the council wouldn't have given him orders. Alpha trion even pointed out in that episode that sentinel was essentially Magnus in name only. ALL of his power came from his fear mongering tactics not from being magnus

13. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    Actually, he had all the political power of a Magnus. He pretty much used it at every turn.
    As acting Magnus, he wasn't officially deemed "Sentinel Magnus", but until Ultra Magnus came back online, he was the highest ranking Autobot.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I do remember that, but that is not where his power came from, as that doesn't explain how he's able to do the things he does while acting Magnus.

No, that's not how it works. He ignored their "orders", because he had the authority of Magnus. He didn't have to follow their advice. He gave an order, and it was followed, because he had real power as acting Magnus. No Prime could have given that order and had it carried out. Primes don't have that kind of authority in TFA.

I took this as meaning that he wasn't behaving as Ultra Magnus would.

fear mongering tactics do not grant someone the authority to fire Fortress Maximus' cannons at a legendary autobot ship/warrior in Cybertron's sky, while the council is telling them "no". fear mongering tactics do not grant someone the authority to decide where to imprison Megatron, the greatest enemy Cybertron has ever faced. He needed the authority of the rank of Magnus to do both of these.

propaganda only goes so far. It alone doesn't give anyone the power Sentinel had.

Hell, the very term "acting Magnus" tells you he has power. he is the ACTING Magnus. He has the power to ACT as Magnus. "Act" as in take actions that the Magnus would normally take.

15. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Point is Setinal is a jackass and how he became part of the Elite Guard and 2nd in command is the confusing part

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not confusing at all. Optimus took the fall for the incident that resulted in the loss of Elita-1, and was kicked out of the academy. Sentinel faced no punishment, stayed in, became a member of the elite guard, and rose through the ranks until he was in charge of it.

17. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Animated because it has a charm most Transformers shows don't. It has a great story with amazing characters. What more could ask for? Yeah, it may not be traditional in the way that Optimus isn't supreme leader..so what? The two top series according to most fans are different in terms of characters than most other series' (Beast Wars and Animated). It's a great series and its a shame we never got a true conclusion

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Animated Soundwave wasn't even a Decepticon, he was a TOY. Yeah Megatron messed with the design to try and build a new body for himself but he even said it didn't test well or something like that. Soundwave was not a Cybertronian so you can't really complain that he wasn't built well. It's basically Issac Sumdac's fault he was defeated so easily.

I really wish Master Disaster had more episodes in the series. I really liked him and was also shocked when I realized that he shares a voice actor with Bulkhead. He sounds so much like Patric Star when he does Bulkhead I didn't think he could do a different voice. I really like the voice he gave to Master Disaster.

And he had his original voice actor too. Considering even as the original Rodimus he only did the voice in the movie I'm guessing it cost a lot of money just to get him for that one episode. They might of had more Rodimus if they used his original Season 3 voice actor instead of the movie actor.

Again, Soundwave is not a real Decepticon in Animated. He was built on Earth by Issac Sumdac. Megatron may have messed with the design a bit but still he wasn't built to the same specification of a true Decepticon.

Besides Soundwave was never killed by a human like movie Megatron and Starscream were both killed by Sam.

I think Prime is my least favorite because he just beeps. The movie one doesn't talk either but at least the radio is more understandable than a bunch of freaking beeping sounds.

That seems odd because Sari is generally the most likable human character in Transformers which became really ironic when it turned out that she wasn't even human.

Lugnut and Blitzwing were always on screen together and I love Blitzwing, especially his crazy head. Lugnut is just too much of a mindless Megatron follower to really enjoy him as a character. BW Inferno will always be my favorite idiot because at least he was funny.

Seriously? What about Meltdown, he was the only one that actually posed a serious threat to giant metal robots. I love any episode with Meltdown in it. I'd like to see him appear in Prime some how. I would like to see more of Master Disaster just because of the voice actor but without his remote to control Blurr he's not much of a villain.

It's praised by the fandom because of all the fan references in the series, bring back a lot of original voice actors from G1 for the first time, generally good writing which is something that hadn't been seen sense RID ended, and several likable characters. It really helped that they focused on a single main cast and only introduced other characters for guest spots. Plus Megatron, despite spending most of Season one as a severed Head is one of the best incarnations of the character ever, the voice, the cunning, the fact that his design is the only Megatron design that actually homages the original Megatron. Plus for the animation style he actually doesn't look bad if you put him in with other Transformers. His toy is the only one I don't hate and I freaking hate the Animated toy line because of that cartoonish big chined style. I don't think that belongs in Transformers.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    TFA was probably the best reboot of each reboot we've had since RID.

Whiel I do love Prime, TFA did everything more original first. Also ultra Magnus is boss just because of his Robert Stack esque voice and his Banhammer which is much like Ronan the Accurssor.

Though TFA Optimsu Prime and Megatron had the best rivalry because neither really knew the other and when in the finale when Optimus defeats Megatron, Megs finally calls optimus by his name. True charecter progression.

Though I will say I;m not as fond of TFA Starscream, Ratchet and Arcee as i am in Prime though.

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I actually prefer Animated Starscream because while I hate both designs Animated looks more like Starscream and Prime is just a twig I can never take seriously.

Ratchet I don't really see how you can have a favorite, they're both basically the same character. If I had to pick a favorite I would go for Animated simply because he has a more interesting back story. Prime Ratchet could get more interesting later on in Prime but to be honest I doubt it.

And Arcee isn't even really a competition. Animated only had a very small part and she spent most of the series not even knowing her own name. Prime Arcee has more character development in a single episode than Animated does in the entire series. Of course Prime Arcee is better than ALL other Arcee incarnations because she's the only one that is actually interesting and fun to watch. To be honest, most episodes I feel like she's the only reason Prime is even worth watching.