Heavy/Scratch: Animated Scorponok and his Nebulon cohort Tailgunner!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Jan 22, 2009.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Transformers Animated: SCORPONOK with Nebulon cohort TAILGUNNER!

Whether storming in from the skies above or bursting up from the ground below, Scorponok is one of the most feared Decepticons in the Universe!

In Scorpion mode, can travel underground by using a drilling motion with his claws, his claws can also snap a steel I-beam in half with ease. He loves burrowing behind enemy lines, exploding out of the ground to cause panic and fear! Secretes a corrosive venom from his fangs which has a paralyzing effect on his victims. Powerful blasters in the claws emit high voltage electro bolts! Tail is powerful enough to knock a concrete pole down in one swing, and also carries a plasma disruptor blaster. In bomber mode has batteries of cannon turrets and can carry additional bombs and ordinance. Surprisingly agile in Bomber mode considering his immense size. Often swoops down on an opponent and grabs them in his capture claws. In bot mode thrives on causing fear and panic, and can utilize the weaponry of his two other modes via chest cannons, electro bolts, swinging tail with plasma disruptor. Tail can detach to become a powerful battle axe, which he wields with ferocious effectiveness.

Binary bonded to his Nebulon cohort Tailgunner, which serves as his right hand bot.

Tailgunner acts as an intelligence intercept officer in tailfin/booster engine mode. Also activates the capture claws. In Scorpion tail mode has plasma disruptor blaster. In Battle axe mode can harness and channel Scorponok's claw mounted electro bolts and discharge them as lightning bolts from each of the axe blade tips. Can chop through most metals. In his true mini beast mode, Tailgunner can utilize his claws to rend most armors, as well as the plasma disruptor blaster. Extremely agile, he is a very hard target to connect to. Loves it when Scorponok hurls him in battle axe mode at an unsuspecting target, only to transform into beast mode at the last second. "The look on their face is priceless!" he snickers.

Scorponok and Tailgunner are binary bonded, sharing a unique link that allows them to see through each others optics, making it nearly impossible to surprise attack them. However they lose effectiveness when they are not in proximity of each other. Scorponok has an obsession with Blackarachnia, and can be distracted when she is near. "She's got a great thorax, don't you agree TG? And just look at those legs, all eight of them!" Whereas Tailgunner has an odd fixation against Bumblebee, he doesn't want to destroy him so much as simply humiliate him. "Teabagged Bee-Yotch"

Hey gang! Check out ol' TF: Animated Scorponok!

Lugnut was beggin' for the treatment!:cool:  Fully "perfect" transformation, and a triplechanger to boot!

We get bomber mode, with "capture claws" ala Energon Jetfire and Skyblast! The capture claws become scorpion legs in beast mode, other than that he looks pretty much standard issue!

Bot mode features the "tail over the head" look that Energon Scorps had, and of course the tail can be removed to become his battle axe. I modded the long tail part to be hinged so it can be pointed overhead and connected the tail with a ball joint and socket. It looks nicer too when the battle axe is detached with it folded up compact. His head is a sculpted Sentinel Prime with styrene antennae. Boy oh boy, we're talkin' next to ZERO clearance for that head to fit. Double ball jointed neck adds to the posability, and that's pretty much the only added articulation I gave him in bot mode.

Scorpion mode was the most fun, but a huge challenge to get the beast mode head to work! The Blackarachnia beast head actually splits in half and tucks away behind the cockpit halves! Fun, fun,fun. I knew that was how I wanted to approach the hide away position, but it took sooo long for me to engineer a solution, especially since I had only one Lugnut and one Blackarachnia to work with! The scorpion legs were from a mechanoid walker from a GI Joe toy that came with a mini Destro. Mantis mech I think it's called. In the future I'll just use BA's legs, I had the legs done way before I figgered out BA's beast mode head! LOL!

And of course we have Tailgunner, his Nebulon cohort! Hey, when you have a triplechanger, why not have a triplechanger Mini-con companion? We get tailfin/booster engine mode, complete with radar antenna array (Tailgunner's legs), Battle axe, and of course Scorpion mode! I modded the spring loaded gimmick to be activated with the flick of a switch! I used Legends Movie Scorps for the beast parts, natch! Added a hidden hinge halfway up the tail, pull to reveal and you can tilt it, straighten it out and push to lock it in straight position.

Went with G1 inspired colors, including all three heads. I still have to do more coats and touch ups, plus I want to sand/Future the rub spots. This was basically a test fit and check for rubbing, I figured I'd snap a few pics while I was at it. Also need some Decepticon symbols, and finish up with a matte sealer.

Please enjoy, and feel free to ask any questions about the mods, the pics might not show every trick involved! Also let me have your thoughts, good or bad. But do understand the paint still needs much work, remember this is still a WIP, but in the home stretch! I may do up a video overview for Scorponok, it would shed some additional light on the mods performed!

Attached Files:

2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    NOOOOOOOOO FREEKIN WAY!
    That is awsome BH!:D 
    nice choice on the SP head too!
    that is awsomeee!!
    i really like how everything still feels sooo animted too it!
    n i epecally like the Scop. mode!
    Great JoB!

3. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    holy crap! I had an idea about making an Animated Scorponok, but this one is just amazing!

Great job!

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    man he turned out really awesome, BH. Is he really that bright, or is it the flash? his green is really pale, and his purple looks burgandy.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Pretty amazing!

This works really well. He's instantly recognizable as Scorponok, and that Sentinel head adapts amazingly well to it's new home. Brilliant idea!

zmog

6. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Now thats frikkin amazing :drool:  I was not too much for the animated line, but I would buy that. He fits right in. The head is a great. I love that shade of purple too!

7. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

dude totally hated animated lug nut mold untill now dam youve made me want to go buy that mold super job like always impressive very impressive work

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Amazing work!

9. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Wow that's genius! Sentinel's head is a good choice. Such a pity Lugnut's a small mold.

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Man, that is tight! :thumb  It took a while, but it was worth the wait. Great job, bro.

11. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

Daddy like!

12. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    That turned out ridiculously awesome.
    You may be a "slacker basher", but it was well worth the wait.

13. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Wow, the head you made looks so much like the drawing I made for you! I am both impressed and flattered simultaneously. Thank you for finally finishing this bad boy and sharing him with us! I <3 me some G1 Scorponok.

- Alty

14. Boanerge

Boanerge Professional Lurker

Awesome work as always Big Hank!! I love the triple changers! my only critique would be that he needs the massive face shield visor of his predecessors to complete the tribute, but you said you had zero clearance for the head as it is. Fun bios too!

15. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Awesome.
    As for Tailgunner: "I shall call him mini-me" :p 

16. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

wow, that is awesome, so much fun, more!!

the head works great, the mods are very tight, he looks great!

17. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

absolutely fantastic

18. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Wow! Very neat idea.

19. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    BH!!.....Man, this looks great bud!! As NP and the others have said, he was well worth the wait.

:bowdown: 

20. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That is sweet.