Minor/Repaint: Animated Scorponk WIP! ** 7/7/08 UPDATE** No more parts-former legs!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Jun 28, 2008.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    ****UPDATE 7/7/08****

Hey gang! Sorry for the delayed update, lots of stuff going on right now! Barely squeezed in any time for 'ol Scorps :banghead: ! Well, at least I got the mechanicals done for the legs joints!! They tuck up against the rear fuselage in plane mode, and as an added bonus, they can be used as capture claws, like Energon Skyblast or Jetfire!! They swing 180 degrees at the shin, rotate 360 degrees at the t-joint, and pivot about 320 degrees at the leg shaft!! Lots of little tricks used to get it to fall into position in all three modes, but well worth it!! Looks like all that's left is the beast mode head, still workin' on the engineering so it can be hidden in plane or 'bot mode, but present in beast mode! Got the concept down, just need to make it happen!! Lastly, I need to start sculpting Alty's great 'bot head design!! And I introduced Junior to BB, looks like they off to a great friendship:lol !! Thanks for looking and enjoy!!---BH

****UPDATE 6/30/08****

Hey all!! Just a quick "little" update for ya!! Can you handle the sting of the cuteness?:D 

Well, I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted today. I had a bunch of errands to do and when I finally sat down at the work table it was so cluttered I had to spend a couple hours organizing and straightening up!! I mean, when you can't find a 10 inch long purple and teal scorpion, you gotta step back and reorganize:lol .Well, no wonder!! Turns out I have 18 projects goin' on!!:wtf:  I could have sworn it was only 15!!:rolleyes2 

Anyway, 'lil Scorps is done, and more of a challenge than I thought, heh! The legs and head are Legends Scorps, and the white is styrene to connect.

I made a pivot hinge for the head so he can look up and down, and hinged the legs so they have a range of motion as well!! The legs joints are so small I had to use my (.....in hushed tones)"super-secret fish hook joint method":sly: !!

I think it still looks good in weapon and tail fin mode, not too obtrusive either way. The one shot of the plane shows the way the big legs will rest in plane mode. Thanks for the push guys, when I finish that step I will be much happier than the original parts-form plan!:thumb 

I tossed in a couple shots with 'em striking that classic Soundwave/Laserbeak pose!!:thumb 

I wanted to name him Stinger, but since we are goin' with some G1 nods, I'll call him Zarak!! But then again, Stinger has a more "animated" ring. What do you guys think? That's all for now, enjoy and I'll catch up with ya later!!--BH

Hey gang! Well, with my animated Hot Rod heading to the paint stages and waiting for the Activators BB head I'd thought I would get started on 'ol Scorps here! I knew when I saw that prototype pic way back I wanted to do a Scorponok with Lugnut.

Not too much modding here. I segmented the backpack peice so it could pivot up over his body in beast mode, and made it fold up completely in 'bot mode. Then I made a simple connector to attach the Mace weapon to complete the tail!

I added a hidden joint to the mace so it can look more curved in beast/bot mode. I will add the double stinger/blasters to the tip, ala Energon Scorponok when I figure out what I want to use, heh! The tail lays straight out in plane mode so the stinger/blasters will replace the top mounted gun turret.

I made a switch for the mace so you can open or close the blades manually, they're still spring loaded, just flick the switch and they pop out, slide the switch and lock in place to close!!

I still have to work out both beast and bot heads. I know I want to keep the classic visor look, but give it a more animated feel. Same for the beast head, I have a plan for it, I'll be starting on that tomorrow. If it works out the way I plan, it will be completely hidden in plane mode and bot mode!

The insect legs have to parts-form, :banghead:  I just couldn't hide them anywhere in there! In beast mode, the landing gear supports Scorpy, the legs are there to help finish the look!

So, there ya are, another trip changer to bolster the decepticon ranks!! Comments and crits always welcome!! Enjoy!!---BH

Attached Files:

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    haha that's pretty brilliant. Good job.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    very slick, man. I don't think it'd be a big compromise if the insect legs simply folded underneath the tail and lie flush against he skin of the aircraft, yet still visible. Especially if you paint him right.

4. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Great Idea BH!
    i like the Scorp idea from Lugnut here, cant wait to she the how it progress=)

5. scouse--13

scouse--13 13

thas ace thats going on my mods to do list. i dont think it needs a head 4 the scorpion mod. hope ur painting it in g1 colours not cybertron colours

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    GET OUT OF MY MIND !!!!!
    Seriously, I had the same idea. :lol 
    Looks great, Bro

7. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Man, that is the slickest Animated custom I've seen yet. I'll be watching this one!

(And I'm really jonesing to draw up an Animated Scorponok head for you!)

- Alty

8. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

That is pretty awesome!!!

9. luke4

luke4 crocon

thats awsome! i dont think it needs a head but if u want one use movie scorponk.. and i hope u use the g1 colours

10. big hank

News Credits:
    Hey everybody!! Thanks for the kind words!! I figgered there would be a few of us giving 'ol Lugnut the Scorponok treatment!! I'll post an update on the heads later tonight (I hope, I'm slow as hell:rolleyes: ).

But it's so warm in comfy in there!!:lol 

Hmmm...I'll give that a go, sounds possible!

Thank you!! Feel free to give it a shot. :thumbs2: I have a pretty good idea of what I want, you know, something like a simplistic version of movie Scorps.

Oh Yeah!! It will be GeeWun colors all the way!!:thumbs2: 

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    This is going to be killer Big Hank!....man, you have a great eye for the unseen....

I'd put a little work in on those legs like REDLINE said....you'll be more pleased in the end. And you got skills...I know you can pull it off...we've all seen your work.

12. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    If is man is telling you you can pull it off. BELIEVE HIM !!! PK is the man that got me into kitbashing.

13. big hank

News Credits:

Transformers : More Than Meets The Eye!!:lol 

14. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how your mind works. I will never see that by myself, but now it seems pretty logic.

15. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

THAT IS WONDERFULL> WHat colors you gonna paint him?

16. Altitron

Ebay:
    Although I'm still at work for the time being and therefore unable to upload it at this time, give me another four hours and I'll post the head shot I drew of Animated Scorponok, inspired by your custom. :) 

- Alty

17. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow i love that! so much beast wars goodness

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Awsome. I especially love how the mace even looks like a little scorpion drone in the solo shot showing off the hinge.

19. Altitron

Ebay:
    And here we are! Hope you like it, Hank.

[​IMG]

- Alty

20. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

Altitron, you have some serious skills. Now Big Hank has to make that head.