Animated - Our second chance at 1984...

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by defstar, Apr 7, 2008.

1. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Pretty pumped about this series as most everyone else...the many parallels with G1 it's giving us...the nice spin on the original storyline with faces we know and a handful of new ones we're growing to love...and we have the new batch of toys which will be on shelves before you know it...

Does anyone else get the feeling that this will be the closest we'll ever be to reliving the 1984 beginning all over again...for those of us whom were a little too young to grasp what was going on back then or not born yet...is this the second chance for us to be in on it from the beggining...?

No other tv series has ever been this close to the original...and of course we've had the reissues and classics but the fact that animated has it's own new cartoon makes it a full circle...

Anyone else feeling this way...?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    animated is my new g1.
    I haven't felt this good about collecting in a long time.It could be that i have them all though.:D 

3. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Been having that feeling myself.

4. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

To me it's a second chance at 1996 :wink: 

5. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know, a lot has changed in my life since 1984. I am really anticipating the new toys and I enjoy the show immensely. But I can't say that I feel the same magic now that I did during G1.

It could just be because I was a preteen back then and now I'm a husband and a father. Different priorities these days.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I definitely get that feeling. I just really hope that, like G1, we have a lot of characters in store. Not so many that we lose the focus on indivisual characters, but episodes focusing on different teams of groups of characters (ie. Bulkhead and Prowl's friendship) would be awesome with new characters in the future.

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It will be, only if I'm able to get the toys at a local store.
    What ruined it for me in 1984 was the simple fact that I couldn't go to a toyshop and get TFs. All I had in this stupid country was a bunch of Gobots and the lame minibots.

8. Izzo01

Izzo01 Well-Known Member

I dont think its 1984 all over again although it is something that'll get new people into the transformer community.

9. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I don't see it as 1984 all over again. To me, it's just a new series with a helluva amount of references to the original. Either way the old and grumpy 'geewun' fans will find something to nitpick and complain about.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I thought 2006 weas the new 1984.

*Classics Toys*

I guess 2008 will be

sincet heir uNiverse.

I thought Energon and cybertron was sort of G1.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I agree with this. 1984 was like catching lightning, you will never get that again. 1984 was when transforming robots were virtually unknown, and on that unsuspecting market you suddenly got lots of realistic cars, jets, and the odd tape deck that all turned into robots. They took off massively because they were something that had never been done before and they captured the imagination of an entire generation - not just those who are fans now, but all the kids back then.

1996 was a brave reimagining of what had gone before, taking a concept and reworking it for a new audience, aiming squarely at the audience now not those who had gone before. It worked and took off enough to revitalize the franchise. It took liberties and threw bones to those who knew the original, and it succeeded not because of slavishly following the original but because of the commitment and energy of all those involved, and some good, family oriented writing.

That is what we're seeing here with Animated. Circumstances are different with the Movie already generating a buzz, and in a way, it too is a Beast Wars. You can't argue, from reading his various blog posts, that Michael Bay is not commited to the Transformers movies. He wants to make the best films he can. But that's another discussion.
    Animated is a brave reworking of Transformers lore, with nods to the past, but mainly a new imagining of the Transformers mythos. It takes the liberties, it throws in the G1 nods (does it ever!), but at its heart, it is coming about from the love and dedication of all the staff at Hasbro and Cartoon Network who are working on it. And like Beast Wars, it's a definite family show. Sure, it's got kiddy moments - so does Beast Wars in the early shows. But like Beast Wars, there are jokes only an older person might get, like that Airplane reference in Headmaster.

12. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Yes.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    does this mean i get to dress up like crockett and tubbs?

14. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

The original show was novel, and seemed to play toward kids in their early teens as well as little kids (I was the latter when it came out). The new one is too derivative from the faux-anime style that populates kids' shows nowadays, and overly focused on the cutesy characters that little kids might like. I don't like the new show or the new figures.

Having said that, this may be as close as you get to having a show with characters this similar to G1. So, I guess I agree with that, but only b/c, as others have said, you can't bring back what G1 was.

15. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

See I have to think in toys…

80’s to me were;
    1) Star Wars
    2) Mask
    3) Ghostbusters
    4) GI Joe
    5) Transformers
    6) MOTU

Star Wars = Today you can still buy the endless series of Star Wars reproductions but nothing new and exciting or worth buying imho (cept maybe for some of the shadow whatever’s).

Mask = Null and Void

Ghostbusters = Null and Void

GI Joe = eh the 25th anniversary of real American hero cool but whatever I don’t really care about them anymore. Unless they start producing some of the vehicles that I missed out on, I’ll pass.

Transformers = Still strong, some weak series some strong toys. I like at least one or more toys from each era. Redefining the genera with lines such as universe, classics, alternators, the animated is just the latest line to make you fall in love all over again.

MOTU = Null and Void

So Transformers have had a great start then fell into a sea of repetition (show wise) with RID/Armada/Energon/Cyberton. All in all it’s by far one of the most successful toy lines we have from the 80’s.

I have lots of 6 toy lines I listed still some loose and some in sealed boxes and they are all stored and sealed in my storage unit. Transformers are all I have too display and all I want to display. Is animated G1 incarnate? No. Just a risky gamble that has paid off in my opinion.

16. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

well i was not born then but i have watched i think 20 episodes of G1 so yes animated is my G1

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

We already had one when Armada came out, IMO.

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In terms of getting excited about waking up early saturday mornings to watch Transformer (like I was for G1 back in the 80's) and in terms of anticipating getting all of the toys in this line (like I was for G1 back in the 80's), yes it's 1984 all over again. Though I've been collecting TF's here and there since G1, I've never been so excited about an entire line AND the cartoon to go with the line since G1. And you are probably right, I may not feel this way again for another 25 years (if ever). I think the excitement I have for TFA really goes beyond the G1 references (though It helps). The overall series is really well made and thought out.

19. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I love Animated. But, for me the '07 movie was about as close to me getting back to that wonderous childhood wonder I felt when Transformers was born.

20. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    This is the first time I've ever been excited for a toyline, so technically it's a first chance for me.