Animated or G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by siekone, Jun 17, 2008.

1. siekone

siekone TeletranX

News Credits:
    Well, at first when I saw the preview art an anime I was not to impressed. Now that I have seen the first two seasons I have to say this show has stolen my heart! Maybee its because my kids like it too and its so cool to share with them something I was raised with also but it is written really well and there are so many g1 nods to make your head spin!, and the toys kick total ass, I hate saying this and I know a lot of you are scared to admit it because who wants to ever get rid of there old girlfriend! but ANIMATED IS BETTER THEN G1
    Yeah I said it, let the bashing begin! but someone has to agree with me! Right?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I agree. Animated is way better than G1. Actually here's where G1 ranks with all the other major TF shows we've gotten over the years, imo.

RID & Animated>Modern Movies>Cybertron>Energon>Armada>Beast Wars>Beast Machines>G1

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Animated is a better produced cartoon, as far as writing and fluid animation goes. Though, as with most TF series, a portion of it is grounded in G1 tradition. The toyline also has (obviously) more complex engineering than G1. So, from a technical standpoint, it is better in most regards. That's not enough to overcome nostalgia for everyone, but I am thoroughly impressed with it. However, I'll still take Classics toys over Animated, and Classics is just modern G1.

4. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Is animated better than G1? In some ways it is and someways it's certainly not. G1's biggest weakness was it's continuity and back story gaffs that are very obvious. The animation quality could vary from episode to episode and I think the best quality came out of the 2nd season. Animated's backstory is better put together, a bit of it is based on G1 so I guess maybe they have had time to get the bugs out. I myself still prefer G1, Why? For some reason old school kiddied is different from modern kiddie. An adult could still somewhat relate to the characters in G1 more so than in animated. For instance I can relate more to the G1 version of Bumblebee than the animated version because the animated version gets on my nerves and is less mature. As for crazy badly written stories? That's also depends on one's opinion, there were some bad stories in G1 but for some reason they were still entertaining. Animated's less than good stories were mainly based around Sari imo. Slumber parties? Camping? Space barnicles? I wasn't cray about the new version of the constructicons either, I admit the new constructicons have a better realized back story than the G1 version. It really depends on what you are lookinf for in both shows. I do think animated is 100% better than the previous Tf shows in the dialog and writing area. I think the largest area that G1 may beat out animated is tha animation style a lot of G1's 2nd season episodes still look good 2 decades later and I love some of the detail. I still have problems accepting the overall look of the new show, the large chins and everything, the humans don't look human imo. I wish Optimus had a axe plus a gun also. These are just my opinions.

btw I don't plan on buying any animated toys. I don't fully accept the way they appear in the toons so whay buy figures that look like them. Classics are my main target.

5. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I agree - Animated is so much better than G1. And here is why:

- The animation is probably the best of any Transformers show to date. The style is unique amoungst Transformers shows and is consistently good.
    - The writing seems to be top notch with little or no continuity problems and has that winning mix of child friendly morality along with adult humour.
    - Seems to take itself less seriously than G1. It likes to have a little bit more fun with the characters, and the audience, than G1 ever did.

All that being said, Animated would be nothing without G1. All the subtle, and not so subtle, nods to the original show are what make it special to me.

So to summerise, yes I prefer Animated to G1, but without G1, Animated would be a poor immitation of itself.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'll take G1, thanks. Animated is enjoyable, and the writing is mostly pretty good, unfortunately it suffers from a horribly overstylized art direction, and it's way too Bumblebee centric. I don't like that character, I've never liked any of his incarnations. I didn't like the original one, and this new smarmy one is even more annoying.

And then, in comes Sentinel Prime, out annoying even Bumblebee. I really hope that Sentinel gets caught between Magnus's and Lugnut's hammers.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I will agree that TFA is an improvement over G1, and it is a better quality production.

However, for anyone to say that TFA is "better than G1" is merely opinion.

Also, G1 had an overall better voice cast. Several of TFA's voices are imitations of the originals. Granted, they're some pretty dang good imitations, but they're imitations nevertheless.

BTW, your analogy about "getting rid of an old girlfriend" is flawed, but I understand what you're trying to say. And I would counter that viewpoint with the fact that you never forget your first love. And as far as toys and cartoons go, G1 will always hold that place in my heart... no matter how entertaining TFA is and will likely continue to be.

8. siekone

siekone TeletranX

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong without G1 animated would not be so much fun, it just feels nice to get new transfomers that is good!

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    before this decends into the clusterfuck of 'New and Improved = BETTER' or 'Nostalga FTW' arguements (which we KNOW it will) before some haggard mod closes it I'll say this:

From a purely technical standpoint, Animated trounces G1, no contest. Then again 25 years of technological improvements since 1984 skewer the comparison.

From a love of old fashioned fun, I can't go past G1, warts and all. Our heroes were clearly defined as Just, Noble and Courageous while our villains were defined as Conniving, Evil and Cowardly little gremlins who deserve to get whooped every episode.

They're both good, and I feel good about being able to enjoy such a wide spectrum of fiction based on a single idea: robots that change into other things is cool.

See my sig for what I think of G1.

10. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Oh Jesus! Not another one of these! :rolleyes2 

:horse: :horse: :horse: 

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G1 is better. I've seen characters in Animated doing things that their G1 counterparts would never consider doing. In Animated, Optimus needs to be a Prime, Bumblebee needs a clue, Ironhide has a cruel streak, Sentinal Prime is the biggest jerk ever, and Ultra Magnus still makes a bad leader! Only Jazz sems to have some idea of how and who he's supposed to be. Animated is just an amusing reflection of G1.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hells yes Animated is better than G1. I hated it at first from the promo art, but that changed so quickly it made my head spin.

For me, Animated > BW > BM > Movie > G1 > RID > AEC crap.

So? We can have opinions.

Somehow you think just because it's an imitation it's somehow on as good by defalt. G1 had some good VA's, but also so REALLY bad ones. Animated has what? Two "imitations"? Grimlock and Starscream. (but really, could you imagine thier characters sounding any different?) Classics was an "imitation" in the sense you're using, and it was better than G1. The correct word you're looking for is homage. Tom Kenny's very Starscream voice is homage to G1 Starscream's voice, just like how the pointed wings on the back of almost every Starscream recently is homage to the original design.

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    The way I see it, Animated beats G1 in terms of the cartoon 100%.

However, the comics and toys from G1 are the big deal for me.

I know the new toys have better engineering and articulation (especially animated, which is the first line I'm gonna be buying a lot of since BW) but the early G1s just have something about them, with the die-cast and strong resemblance to real cars and items.

Only G1, BW, BM and Animated are actually consistently good as cartoons and as toys.

IMO, RID upto Cybertron was all pretty uninteresting, barring the odd decent toy. I like most of the Classics and a couple of the movie toys are alright.

14. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Oh yeah, THIS thread wasn't meant to start a fight. Sigh...

Why does the default position always have to be that one is better than the other?? There is something of value to each series. Each has shortcomings, and each has strong points. I can't for the life of me see why there has to be a constant argument over which one is "better" when they're clearly made for different time periods, different audiences, and different reasons. Neither is "better" than the other. The OP is just flame trolling imho....

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    If you read the thread title, he makes more a "Which do you like better? Here's what I like and why I like it" point than a "Hey my opinion is law, you hear. So I decree that this one > that one".

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It all comes down to personal opinion in terms of which you like/prefer. As for which is 'better', in technical terms each side has strong and weak points.

I do wonder how well Animated would be doing with both established TF fans and the normal people if it didn't borrow so heavily from G1 for design cues, story elements and character traits. You know what they say about 'standing on the shoulders of giants'...

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Jazz, Magnus, Ratchet all sound so close to the original voices it's scary.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    How come Animated be better than G1? it borrows half of its material from G1!

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While G1 has a special spot in my heart and it's one of the standards I'll always measure anything else Transformers to, I've still got to say Animated is better.

It's like the learned from all the good stuff like G1 and Beast Wars, then they learned from the mistakes of other series, and out of all that learning came a really great cartoon. Lots and lots of good G1 and Beast Wars style stuff without suffering from the bad stuff of some of the Japanese series.

But then it takes things one more step like Autobots some times being jerks. A young Prime so he doesn't always know yet how to be the leader the other's would follow to hell and back. The chance to prove Megatron doesn't even need a body to be evil. Just lots of new good stuff thrown on top of the old good stuff to make great stuff.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the two go hand in hand. You will get soooo much more enjoyment from watching animated if you have watched G1 in the past. There are so many fan nods to G1 and many of the character voices, design, personalities etc. are based off of the G1 robots. Obviously the quality and writing is better, but cartoon standards in general are better today than 25 years ago. Personally I would choose G1, but thats just nostalgia talking.