Animated Optimus Prime Alternate Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by G1Wheeljack, Aug 28, 2008.

1. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    ...odd......running change to Voyager packaging?

3. blitzwingfan94

blitzwingfan94 Vikings are the bomb!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's.....awesome.

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope so, I find it more appealing to see a Transformer in robot mode in package.

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Still without faction logo

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime isn't very impressive in package in vehicle mode (doesn't take up much of the box space), and looks a lot better in robot mode, so I can understand the logic in doing this. Question remains whether this is going to be a running change to the packaging, or whether "TFA V-Prime in Robot Mode" is a store exclusive.

7. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    A couple of months ago, a pallet asst was
    mentioned with optimus featured.
    Wal-mart exclusive probably.
    I wonder if this alt packaging is for that asst.
    I wonder if there're any other pics on package for other toys.
    It might give us a time frame when this is coming out.

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to see a Blitzving and Screamer like this, very cool.
    Do kinda wish it was a new box though, instead of a regular box on its side printed vertically.
    Lulz @ NO FAKE ITEM

9. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Awesome running change.

Only concern I'd have is consumer confusion - in package it looks a LOT like Roll-Out and Command Prime's box now.

10. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    That could be. I was starting to think they dropped that pallet display. Seems odd that they would change the packaging though since there really isn't any difference between this one and the one currently on Wal-Mart shelfs. A running change would be nice though since we could see the paint apps. on robot mode, probably the mode most of us display loose figures in.

11. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    Looks really nice packaged in bot mode and it definitely fills out the space in the box better now.

12. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

I like it. If I wasnt already going to buy him this would of sold it.

13. Zaraxion1021

Zaraxion1021 Cybertronian Monarch

Really Nice!! They make him look like a supreme class. Its lucky i dont have the voyegeur yet. i might try to get him like this. :) 

14. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ill buy if there a faction symbol

15. JCz28

JCz28 The Ballin TF fan

News Credits:
    Prime looked too small in his Alt mode but now he looks much better in his robot mode. I still got to get this guy, passed him for Grimlock but I have always planed to get him anyways.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Way cooler. They should all be packaged in bot mode if you ask me

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very interesting, especially considering the box has not changed its actual shape.

Definitely makes me wonder if this is just some kind of special, or if the Voyager class as a whole will be getting a similar makeover. Might save a little shelf space that's so important to stores nowadays.

Now people who never take their toys out of the package can also have the option of buying two - one to display in each mode. :) 

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  18. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Hell yes! :D 

I would DEFINITELY buy more Transformers, if I could only see them all in their bot modes first. That's what I care about the most, more than the vehicle modes -good looking bot modes. This is why I love Legends-Class figures (and anything else packaged in robot mode).

It's great because the vertical standing packaging can save shelf space (which $ave$ money), and it also allows me to be able to look over the bot-modes of the toys, finally being able to choose the best looking one without risking it for a lemon if I can't see their heads or view vital areas of the figure.

I hate it when I get a Transformer with a badly painted or assembled robot head (looking at you movie stockade!). Or get a Transformer only to open it and realize it has 2 left/right hands, feet, legs, or arms.

To me, the heads are most important because that is essentially what you will look at and notice the most on a figure, their direct character as represented in their face and head.

Plus, having the figures in robot mode will allow us to see other parts and sections of the figure that are normally obscured from vision by the closed-up vehicle mode.

Also, the most important sections that I would care about on a Transformer figure, when choosing the best one to buy, are usually already there to see when they are in their robot mode.

As mentioned above, this allows us to spot any defects in paint, plastic, or even assembly before we make our final purchase.

Another note is that people at the factories will not have to waste time transforming all the figures into vehicles in order to package them up.

And one final thing is being able for kids to see the character up close and as they truly are. Kids will recognize and see the characters in their robot modes and be able to identify them for how they truly appear.

The vehicle modes can be shown on the back as to illustrate what the Transformers Character can tun into, rather than show just exactly who is hidden beneath the "shell" of the vehicle.

I fully support this change. Look at any other robot toy line: Power Rangers, Mugenbine, Soul of Chogokin, Voltron, Robotech, and even Gundam (for the few that Transform), all usually have their transforming robots packaged in their robot modes. Sure we remember the robots and their respective alt-modes, but it is their true iconic character that lies with their humanoid robotic form.

People know Voltron for being made up of five robotic lions, but they know him best when those five robotic lions combine to form the mighty Voltron, defender of the universe blazing his sword into evil robeasts. The same goes for Predaking, Menasor, Superion, Bruticus, Wing Gundam, and the Megazords. We know them best as giant robots causing all sorts of chaos, and not just as animals, cars, jets, military vehicles, a bird-jet, or an array of associated components ranging from prehistoric creatures to jungle animals.

We remember the Robotech/Macross fighter jets not for being jets, but for that very first episode which amazed us all as kids when Rick Hunter's training jet suddenly shifted into a giant robot, right before our very eyes. Only immediately then to see him struggle for the balance to make it walk for the very first time. It's iconic moments like these that kids remember when they see these characters as they truly are, no longer hidden from us under an earthly guise.

It is all these key factors (save shelf space=save money, able to spot defects, able to choose the best figure, save production time,kids seeing the characters and not just the vehicles.) that make me believe having most (we don't have to do it with them all) Transformers packaged in robot mode will in some way benefit the franchise further and provoke more people to buy them, because now they can finally see just exactly who and what they are buying.

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Personally, I hope this is just for this figure, as I much prefer having the figure in vehicle mode first. That's one thing I dislike about leader class figures is that they are packaged in robot mode. I have much more fun transforming it the first time from vehicle to robot than I do from robot to vehicle. I like seeing how it turns from its alt mode to its robot mode, less so vice versa.

20. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Damn that is a good point! I never thought of it that way. Well, hmm...maybe we can get packaging variants like in the Star Wars and G.I. Joe lines? Package some in vehicle mode, some in robot mode?