Animated Movie Prequel and Other News from IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Chris Ryall, Editor-In-Chief of IDW Publishing stopped by IDW's own boards to post an update of his current doings as well as hinting at things to come from IDW.

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2299&sid=a5d306707ad651ecb843f507738e02b1

The most interesting bit is that this movie prequel that Mark Ryan recorded lines for is going to be an animated prequel based off IDW's movie prequel comics on the DVD release of the live-action movie (prequel is Wal*Mart exclusive). Cullen and others will be provided voices. (Editorial: Wonder if that includes Weaving or if Welker fills in?).

Ryall also provides some other insights into what's ahead for 2008 from IDW as well as his thoughts on the Transformers: Animated cartoon.

(Heads up to Robert Jones for the news submittal!)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Why would they go through the effort to produce amd record lines for a prequel and then make it a WM exclusive? Oh well, now it'll probably be bundled with the fullscreen version only. :rolleyes2  (Hope not)

The bit about animated isn't terribly encouraging nor surprising, but he seems to be of two minds so I guess I'll just wait and see.

3. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hot.

4. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Sounds very cool!

5. Aryudsoh

Aryudsoh Member

I think this is getting to be quite common these days. Big chains like Target and Wal-Mart will pay fees to studios so that they get to release exclusives versions with a bonus disc or other extras. Although this will be the case in the US it doesn't mean that international releases won't get the extra/bonus content.

6. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
    ^_^ this is awesome.

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Why must the cool things always be released to Walmart?

Terrific. This will now be an active debate in my mind until release date. I like Transformers a lot, but I'm not sure I like them that much.

8. alien

alien Command

haha!! damn awsome man..!!

9. RunaR

RunaR Well-Known Member

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So is it basically just scans of the comic with a voice over? Cause that's a bit lame (but better than nothing given the limitations).

11. Monkey-Hands

Monkey-Hands Turntablist

Wal*Mart Exclusive only? WTF?!

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno, he seemed pretty straight forward with his enthusiasm for the show. Yes he said he thought it would be bad due to it's intended audience, but he held that opinion before watching any of it. Once he saw it in motion he seemed to be behind it 100%. I got a feeling this will be a similar situation to how the '07 movie was seen. Lots of skeptics and iffy people before hand but after it was debuted it became an instant hit with most fans and non-fans alike, even if it wasn't perfect.

As for the animated prequal, I got a feeling it will be like one of those animated comic books, though I hope I'm wrong. If it is a full blown animated feature based on, and using the art style of, the IDW comics then it could be a doorway to having more straight to DVD animated comic book adaptations. Both Marvel and DC are making big bucks with their Direct to DVD animated lines so sending Transformers down that route, in addition to the animated series, sounds like a win win situation to me.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    If it is, then I'll take the nothing. Moving panels is NOT worth dealing with Wal Mart for.

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Wow, Walmart will finally have something worth waiting 2 days in line for

15. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds cool. Looks like I'll be getting the DVD at Wal-mart. I just hope the prequel is bundled with the multi-disc special edition version and not just the single disc edition.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I get the impression it's just scans of the comic with voiceover for the dialogue. I'm sure I will get it, since it will probably be the same price as anywhere else and thus essential free. Still, that would run 30 minutes or more and get pretty tedious. I'm not sure I'd ever actually sit through the whole thing.

Then again, if it's only bundled with the single disc, it's a no brainer. I can do without it since I'm sure there will be more to interest me on the 2 disc version.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am willing to bet my Wii that this is what it will be. I don't think they had enough time to produce a full-fledged worth-while animation telling the story of those issues. And I remember getting my Star Wars 4-6 on DVD at wal-mart and getting a documentary free, and I have not watched it since, because it kinda sucked.

I hope I'm wrong though, and it's an awesome animated mini movie. The only thing that will suck then is that I want to get TF on BluRay and I bet my new Wii that they won't have any copies on BluRay that Tuesday of release, or they won't come packed with the prequel. But like someone earlier said. If it will only be exclusive to Wal-Mart, then I REEEEAAAAAALLLY doubt that a lot of production value would go into something that might not pay for itself, since a lot of people will be buying it from Best Buy or other shops.

18. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Does this mean everyone outside the US is screwed?

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Isn't it funny how what we have to consider these days when buying a DVD?
    When Transformers comes out I was going to take the plunge to HD-DVD or Blu-ray and now I have to consider that those releases probably will not have this extra.

Also, I think they could completely animate this and not have it be the sliding panel type of sequence. All of the Transformers were computer generated so ILM already has the assets needed to make an animated feature. It's not like they have to build everything from scratch. It's also possible that even though this extra feature was recently announced, it was planned for long ago and the work has already been done.

20. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Eh.. I'll buy the blu-ray version and download the extra segment.