Animated Movie/Animated Season 1 Sets to be Bundled Together, Out January 6th

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If there is a discount for buying both disks I will do so then.

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'll be having them then :D 

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Seems like a good time to get them :D 

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'd rather it was on itunes so it wouldn't matter.

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    eh, i've got them already thanks to my awesome wife who bought me season one, but this is cool for people who might have missed it before...or who wanted to wait...i'll be buying season 2 that day...

7. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about the everyone outside North America, Paramount? Why not give us the whole of season one instead of crappy "volumes"?!

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Same here. She got me the premiere movie for my birthday, and then thanks to an incompetent WMT employee posting the wrong price point signage on the pallet display, I got S1 for only $13.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a complete collection box set and/or the movie and S1 repackaged together in a single S1 set at some point in the future once the show's had its run, with a couple meager extras in attempt to get fans to triple-dip.

9. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Do what I do.

Import :D 

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    "Transform and Roll Out" technically isn't Season 1.

Each season is 13 episodes.

So they HAVE given us the whole of season one.

11. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm referring to the UK.

In the UK (ie outside North America), we got "Transform and Roll Out" in August and will be getting "Transformers Animated Vol 1 - Blast from The Past", which will only contain 4 episodes, on 20th October.

12. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Wow this is why I was holding off. I actually didn't realize the movie wasn't part of the 1st season

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Gen. Tekno, I mean no disrespect, but you are incorrect. I get so tired of having to repeat myself on this every time it comes up, but technically, it most certainly IS part of season one--even during the show's production it was intended as the first 3 episodes. Furthermore, the premiere movie is listed by official sources as being episodes 1-3.

Even the actual production numbers for the premiere movie are listed as 101-103, followed in sequence by #104 "Home Is Where The Spark Is" (aka episode 4).

It was designed to be that way all along, which is why so many fans were disappointed that it was released separately from S1, thus making the S1 DVD release incomplete.

[/end rant]

It's probably too much to hope that will be the last time I have to bring that up.

14. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Cool. Its a toss up now between Cybertron or Animated now.

15. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice! i will get it

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Wonder if they'll come out on BluRay anytime soon?

17. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Makes it easier on me, I'll pick it up then.

Actually it was done like this.
    The initial order was for 2x 13 episode seasons, and one STV movie.
    We the fans are the ones who started this entire the movie is eps 1-3. Until the UK had it edited apart as such. CN had initially intended it solely as a premiere movie that leads into the series, as it was ordered. It has ONE production number not three. It's been that way since the initial order we heard about. So yes it is 'part of season 1' it isn't really episodes 1 through 3, as if that was the case the movie itself would have 3 production numbers as opposed to just one.
    Unless you can prove that the premiere movie has three production numbers, it was always intended to have been one entity that tied into the series to launch it. Due to all the hype surrounding it by viewers and fans who started stating as episodes 1-3 it became reflected as that in the mainstream because the fans are the ones in the know so to speak, but the initial order CN had placed proves otherwise. With it becoming titled with episodes 1-3 due to the fans always referencing it as such. So may as well roll with it for packaging. (If the packaging even states this.) So yes it was intended as the premiere, and intro to the series, but no it was never ordered as episodes 1-3, even if it was produced that way for cost and animation. The initial order is what determined how it was released by CN and Paramount.

This order is also what lead to early fan speculation of wondering what the movie ordered was. Before we had been told it would be the CN premiere movie for the series. The initial order was not 29 episodes and a STV movie. It was 26 (2 by 13) and one 90 minute animated Feature. It was assumed after the airing of the premiere movie, that 'episodes 1-3' would be edited apart for subsequent airings, but domesticly they have not. Which further anchors the fact of the one production number for it(as intended), and the intent behind it.

Tv.com and IMDB.com are not good places to reference production numbers, that is completely user submitted with minimal accuracy checked. To my knowledge those are the only two places that reflect the alleged production numbers as being that inspite of the actual order placed for it.
    If it was created with 3 production numbers, I'd concede this argument on that angle, but that still leaves the fact that CN had never ordered it as such, and had placed the order as one STV movie and not episodes 1-3. The fact of it being episodes 1-3 is just convenient for what the premiere movie does, and allegedly makes it easier for subsequent airings. The original production numbers are what you would want to check which would be found on the DVD hopefully in the credits. Though they may not have listed them there. If you're basing this off of the non domestic airings, the global distro may have done that in the editing process to make it easier to sell the show to be aired. Which has happened numerous times in the past. The initial order also shows it was always intended to be sold seperately until potentially boxsets later. (STV movie = Straight to Video movie, which usually always varies in the manner of how produced though always intended to eventually be on a dvd by itself.)

Needless to say, due to this I was never surprised by how the dvds were released, as they had shown the intention during the initial order placed.

As for abroad, they are milking it beyond belief as the global distro had to pay a decently high markup to get it to begin with. They are attempting to make a return on a show that wasn't bid on very much abroad, and has yet to really make any form of commercial return through ad revenues eiher. I blame this on the fact of everyone turning to online illegal methods of viewing as opposed to trying to find when it airs in their area. As such, they need to milk the DVDs abroad to make a fiscal return to make it having been even worth it to do. UK Nicktoons for example had thought the clear demand would mean a higher subscription rate, which didn't happen, though that is also their own fault as they didn't push the fact they had it as they should have. It's being largely milked/mismarketed abroad due to this aspect of trying to garnish a decent fiscal return when it's so easily available through illegal means that are far more reasonably priced or free.
    This is a double edged sword as the fewer buying or watching their domestic airs makes the price go up and volumes fewer episodes, which in turn drives people to buy R1s that are cheaper or further use the illegal venues to watch it, and not even bothering to get the channel it's on, or find out which channel it's on. Which further plummets the ratings, and creates more seperate volumes to use to milk the market, or test the popularity and if they should bother to release the entirety due to cost vs gains. It's an entire system of checks, balances, and fiscal reasons due to the fact of how they purchased the international distro rights as opposed to CN handling that. After such a successful live action movie though, it would have seemed to have been a no brainer to make money. Similiar to how CN reacted to Fantastic 4, and then their rapid contempt for it from subpar ratings. So they gradually released it to milk the fans who did like it since it wouldn't have the large appeal they had intended. They hadn't anticipated a show based off of a marvel property that had a coming live action hollywood movie being released to have such sub par ratings. They had even held some episodes over to air around the movie to see if that helped, which it had not, as such they dropped Ironman from their bidding. Marvel and DC properties are another media that's highly pirated as opposed to sought domesticly aired. So the very audience they attempt to tap, is simply being counted as maybe 3 or 4 viewers if even due to those cappers only. Now eventually it was released as one boxset for a decent price, but that was long after they made as much of a safe return as they felt they could before hand, to make it marginally worthwhile to rerelease the full boxset. (Similiar to how the old days of anime started on vhs and dvd with few episodes, with one massive expensive boxset, then eventually one slim full series cheap set as they made their return and profits already over the initial deal to make subs/dubs and sell wherever, again Gains vs loss.) So yeah, I'm afraid there's not a simple answer for what's happening abroad to transformers, just as there's not a simple answer to if Roll Out was intended to be episodes 1-3 of season 1 on the season sets.