Animated Megatron and Bulkhead reviews/galleries

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    cool stuff.

3. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voyager Megatron is awesome.

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
  5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Cool pics, but all they do for me is confirm that we should wait for the Leader size versions of Megs, Bulkhead and possibly Prime (assuming they even make a Leader size of him) if we want any sort of proper size scale.

Height wise, the size classes are all over the place and seem to be specified entirely based on the packaging required for their alt modes. In bot modes, Voyager Starscream looks more like an Ultra, Deluxe Bumblebee looks more like a small Voyager, Deluxe Lockdown looks more like a Voyager or even an Ultra, Voyager Bulkhead looks more like a Deluxe and Voyager Megatron looks more like a tall Deluxe. So far the only ones that appear to be the proper size classes (based on height - not overall bulk) are Deluxe Prowl & Cybertron mode Prime.

And that's not necessarily a complaint - just an observation for discussion sake. Some of the figures *do* look good regardless of their apparent size discrepancies, but I think I'll have to see more comparison shots before deciding whether or not I'm gonna tap into this line.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    ^^ After the Movie line, I'm also adopting a "wait and see" attitude on Animated. I have a deluxe Brawl and voyagers Megatron and Prime I don't want anymore because the Leader class are better toys and in better scale. And I skipped Legends class entirely. Looks like Animated is adopting the "fewer characters at more size classes" that we saw in the movie line.

7. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I'm still gonna wait for the Earth modes of both Megs and Prime. I just don't like the Cybertron forms, especially since they're hardly in the cartoon anyway.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I keep wondering if Megatron's sword blades can be facing downwards, instead of sideways.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yay can't wait for these to come out!

10. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    man i want animated stuff

11. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

*Toygasm*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never really considered buying any of the Animated figures before, but now, heh, Razorbeast like!!!

12. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

ARGH! Is anyone else outraged that Starscream is taller than Megatron? Otherwise, excellent toys. They'll be seeing my money.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

The screwy sizes ARE a real problem. The toys look great individually, but they look pretty bad all together in a group. The relative scale of these figures is probably the most chaotic of any line in recent memory, which is a shame since in every other way, they're pretty awesome.

Voyager Bulkhead and Deluxe Megatron look to be about the only figures in the line-up there that are actually in scale with each other. We know from the show that Megatron and Starscream are supposed to be huge compared to the other Autobots (even Prime). Obviously the Deluxe Megatron is a bit undersized (making him a good match for Bulkhead)... and we know we're getting a larger, fancier one, so that's forgivable. But Bumblebee is ridiculous. He looks freakishly large.

BB looks like he could push Prowl and Prime around. Sad. I mean, Deluxe Bumblebee is larger than Voyager Bulkhead... !!! I don't care HOW "heavy" Bulkhead is... there is sensibly absolutely no defending that. I suppose if they make a Leader Class version or something, that might mitigate the issue, but for now, he just seems he's 1/144, while the others are 1/60, y'know?

His vehicle mode is big, I guess... but the robot scale is still off.

I love the look of these figures. It's just a shame that they won't display well together (nor with other TFs because the style of them is so different). Hm.

zmog

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I will most likely be getting these two, depending on how their Leader sized counterparts look like. As for all the complaints about size inconsistancy, I personally would rather have each toy be awesome by itself, instead of being compromized because they are making them match up size wise.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I understand your point... but I guess it depends. I like to have my TFs work together as a whole. I guess it's one of the parts the collector's mentality/brain damage that afflicts me. :) 

Not to mention the fact that when you are dealing with toys that are meant to go together, and are thematically unified by a TV show that presents their adventures, having the figures match in terms of scale DOES improve the play value. I don't really play with my toys anymore, but my inner kid does want my Transformers to be close to in scale with each other.

One might argue that kids will play with the toys no matter what, but it still frustrated me that G1 Shockwave was twice the size of G1 Prime.

There have been a lot of pretty cool TF toys in the past... that I have felt dissatisfied with due to their size, and relative incompatibility with other main-line TFs. So bearing those feelings in mind, I think I'd rather have a figure that is slightly less cool, and fits in with the group. Sounds weird, but there it is.

Though ideally, of course, I'd want the best of both worlds. :) 

zmog

16. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

Yeah, I'm not quite sure that the Animated figures will fit in with the rest of my collection either.
    Kinda funny seeming that everyone thought it was the Movie figures that wouldn't work well with the other series out there.
    Does anyone have pictures of the other announced Animated figures?

17. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I don't think the sizes are all over the place necessarily. I think they made the sizes good for the robot modes. They seem the right height from what I see on the cartoon. But unfortunately the size does not carry well when they are transformed into vehicle mode. This had been an issue since the beginning of Transformers since the 80's. This line isn't much different.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Bumblebee being taller than Bulkhead is a bit of a downer, but they probably made Bumblebee bigger since he's the kid-appeal character, and they didn't want to sell a fragile little version of what could be the most sought after figure for the key demographic.

19. CDBROWN48

CDBROWN48 Well-Known Member

I am a little shocked at this as well since SS is not the leader!!! However the toys do look great and I cannot wait to get them myself!!!:bowdown: 

20. {X}

{X} seen movie 8 times

Holy Cow Bulkhead is short!!!