Minor/Repaint: Animated Kup

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by sunlink, Jul 12, 2008.

1. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know another member recently posted theirs and IMO it's much better than mine but figured I'd still share what I did. Only the 2nd "whole body" repaint that I've done and I gotta say painting ball joints is no fun. :banghead:  Still gotta perfect the whole paint rub on joint areas. As much sanding down as I did I still have issues in certain areas.

I removed the forearm things, filled in the holes and gave Kup a short sword/exhaust pipe. Mostly based on his toy form. Never really like his TFTM colors since they are IMO pretty bland. Grey paint areas are a little darker than I originally wanted but oh well.

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I really wanted to do this myself (though I admit, I'm spooked by doing that much repainting). For the most part, it looks great!

However, when I got the Optimus figure, I was surprised at how large he was, and how small it made the Armada Hoist head look... so he does come out a bit pin-headed.

Also, although this would make the head look even smaller, have you considered sanding down the neck area on the "helmet" part of the head... y'know, so it tapers more towards the bottom, like the G1 version?

zmog

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The paint job looks nice, and the color is spot on. The head isn't my favorite, but still very nice.

4. sunlink

News Credits:
    Never thought about sanding down the sides of the helmet. I may have to try that if I can get the head off (not sure how the seal I put on will prevent me from separating the head pieces).

I did sorta like the "helmet" look of the Armada Hoist head, thats why I gave him a sword. Sorta reminded me of Gladiator the movie.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats pretty cool!!....I like it a lot.

And the sword/exhaust stack is a nice touch too :thumb 

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I like what you've done here a lot. I think the red kind of looks cool and helps break up all the lighter colors. The single smoke stack is a nice touch

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I really like your choice of colours, and the Hoist head looks great - surprisingly well-suited to the Animated aesthetic, actually.

Brilliant job. :D 

8. scouse--13

scouse--13 13

i like the smokestack sword im in the middel of doing a animated kup i like how this has turned out but y the red shoes

9. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

The sword looks surprisingly perfect, not like its original toy (Scrapmetal if I remember it well). The paint looks great, but if you have problems inthe balljoints try the superglue trick.

10. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Since he's going for the toy look vs. the animation model look the red on the feet is like the red decals on the toy's feet.

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Very cool Kup!! I love the single stack, adds to the older vibe of Kup!! Make a musket blaster for him and you will have perfection! Red feet=win!!:thumbs2: 

12. scouse--13

scouse--13 13

ta lemonprime that exsplanes it

13. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    Looks pretty dar ngood! As far as the paint rubbing goes don't feel to bad. This figure is a nightmare for paint rub and I'm still facing issues on certains areas on mine.

14. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    CRAZY OLD BOT WITH A KNIFE RUN!! LOL nice one Kup looks good, now when Grimlock bugs him about the Perto-Rabbits he can point his knife @ him lol Good work =) Is that Armada Smokescreen or Hoist head?

15. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

tats awesome

16. sunlink

News Credits:
    First off thanks for all the kind words. Glad everyone likes the short sword/exhaust pipe combo (and yep it's a scrapmetal blade).

I remember people talking about QC on the Animated figures but I tell you Deluxe Prime shoulders joints are extremely tight. Even with sanding the ball down and sealing (unless I'm not sealing it properly) caused paint wear on both the ball and socket. I figured I wouldn't need to do the super glue trick since I tried to seal it with sealer.

17. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

it looks super clean to me you did Awsome :thumb