Animated...Jumped the shark (to me)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

In another thread i made about Energon (the show) i mentoined that i don't exactly like Animated. Now let me just explain with pros and cons. The bad parts to it will explain me thinking the whole "Jump the shark"

CONS
    Optimus is a kid who gets his a** kicked
    Bumblebee to me is a d-bag in this series
    Over the top campy super villains (professr princess comes to mind)
    The Autobots don't stand for anything (I mean look how they treat organic life)
    Elita 1 is Blackarcnia (It just doesn't work to me)
    Sari (in Season 1 and 2)
    Ironhide was an ass to Bumblebee
    Rushed ending (Yeah i know why but still)
    and some other nitpicks i have

Pros
    Prowl and Ratchet stories i found cool
    Voice actors
    refrences

but when i get down to it they changed to much to me and made it the only TF show i don't approve of. I do respect season 3 to some point

2. EmbraceThePurpl

EmbraceThePurpl Purple Dinosaur

I do not like animated at all. Its mostly due to the amount of fanwank. I think that a tv show should be good without inserting as many references as it can from previous franchises. I can tell you i didnt like animated at all....but not for the reasons that everyone else does.

3. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Animated was a great series and I hope this continuity comes back somehow.

4. Hotshotprime43

It had some good points and if we got season 4 i think i would like it better but we didn't and i thought season 3 was improved compared to 1 and 2 but the first 2 seasons did alot of damage to the show as a whole

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I really liked the idea of it showing Optimus as a leader who rose to greatness as opposed to one we see starting off as great.

But it's personal preference, I guess. I wouldn't say that any of these criticisms count as "jumping the shark", though.

6. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Hotshotprime43, I don't think you know what 'Jump the shark' means.

7. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Trying to see your point of view. Can you give a few examples of specific things characters did that you didn't like?

And like Aernaroth said, I don't consider this jumping he shark.

8. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

At least Animated didn't have Miko. Where as Sari got better, Miko got worse.

As for the art style, it didn't bother me the slightest. In fact, I'm a really big fan of "blocky" style animation (Batman: The Brave and the Bold and My Life as a Teenage Robot for example).

Also, the ending wasn't rushed, it was incomplete. Why do you think a 4th season was planned?

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    That's why I love Animated Prime, he's not perfect. The series started with him as a nobody and ended with him as a hero with a captured Megatron, restored Allspark, on Cybertron to cheering crowds. I liked being able to see why Optimus is great, not having this perfect being from episode one of season one like in most cases. I liked the fact he got beaten badly at times, but those moments also made his character grow too. Megatron didn't even bother to learn his name until the end because he never gave up. I liked the fact his team called him out on some stuff as they were not "Elite Guard bots" like he had been.

As for Bumblebee, he's my favorite version of the character. Guess I didn't get annoyed with him because I grew up with Rattrap and his ways.

11. Hotshotprime43

Well Ironhide one of my favorites but when he was bullying Bumblebee in an episode i just felt that was out of character and Ironhide would never pick on another Autobot. Also Bumblebee in this series just came off as a selfish kid like when he was told to look after the moniters and wait for a message from cybertron so they can warn them about shock wave but instead he goes off and plays video games. Also when Ratchet and Fanzone were on cybertron all the AUTOBOTS were trying to kill Fanzone who is a living being. Now the whole Optimus becoming a leader good idea but i would rather have that be told in a comic series instead.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Many of your 'cons' were 'pros' to me, and some others I'd accept under "It's not G1 (despite all the homages)"

(my) PROS:
    * I like the fun and campy look and feel of the series

* The world of the series is surprisingly deep and thought-out despite that.

* Autobot command/Elite Guard is more pragmatic and fallible than heroic.

* Sentinel Prime

* Optimus' group grows from nobodies/screw-ups to true heroes over the course of the series.

CONS:
    * The "superhero series with robots" angle was a little over-played, especially early in the series.

* Sari and Bumblebee don't learn lessons well.

* I wish the Dinobots were handled better, instead of mostly being guard dogs for literally ANY bad guy who happens across their island.

* The animation quality could have been better in many eps, (not visual design, but the animation work itself) and was frequently sub-standard compared to Cartoon Network contemporaries.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  13. Hotshotprime43

in some book they told us about season 4 i forget what it was called....

14. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

And Flash Thompson was an ass to Peter Parker. Your point is?
    The Allspark Almanac Volume II. The season premiere was going to be about Megatron escaping from prison and heading back to Earth. The season itself was going to focus on the possession of energon.

15. Malancthon

Malancthon Kyūkyoku Hakaijin

Allspark Almanac II. Both Allspark Almanacs are great books.

16. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I take it you considered Shockwave to be out of character by not standing in front of a computer, doing nothing?
    Characters don't have to be redesigned G1 characters.

And I must agree with the sentiment of seeing Optimus actually rise to greatness in series. Makes for a much interesting character.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It was a different Ironhide. The characterizations of characters don't always have to be the same as previous incarnations, and in Animated many characters went in a dramatically different direction, and it paid off for many of them.

I think the portrayal of Autobot culture as less than ideal was a great move, especially since the series was set in a time of relative peace.

But none of these are really the same as "jumping the shark", where concepts in the show are elevated to such a ridiculously exaggerated degree or so completely out of the blue (without any foreshadowing) that the entire show becomes completely unbelievable, even when one attempts to suspend disbelief. It can also be the point where a gimmick is added to the show to (unsuccessfully) reinvigorate things instead of improving the characters or story (but that's also more of a "poochy" situation as well).

The phrase comes from an episode of Happy Days where ever-cool Fonzie, after a series of doing cool, but generally mundane and realistic things, literally jumps over a shark on waterskis to prove his bravery.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  18. Hotshotprime43

What? no, Bumblebee not looking over the computer to warn cybertron about shockwave is what i meant.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Totally Agree. For once it made you under why Optimus has to become great and honestly it's more original compared to any series Transformers has had.

Even Transformers: Prime is less original than you think. That being said I enjoy Prime but man TFA had so much nifty things about it that I love.

This show gave us Bulkhead, Lugnut, Lockdown and Sentinel Prime which would become major charecter forever.

And DJW understood the need for originality to distinguish itself from the other shows and through us all the fanwank.

20. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I was being facetious.
    What my statement implied was that just because characters were portrayed differently than they were near 30 years ago doesn't make them worse.