Animated IS NOT on the verge of cancellation in the UK

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Red leader, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    I recieved a phone call from one of my suppliers this afternoon with regard to the Transformers Animated line, many retailers have wave 4.5 on pre-order from Hasbro, this includes Swoop, Sentinel Prime etc, the bad news is that I recieved a warning that the line may be cancelled before wave 4.5 and not to offer pre-orders for the figures.

I can sympathise with this news as animated has been selling quite poorly and with Magnus being the only stand out figure who seems popular, even our supplier in china is offering heavy discounts to clear his animated stock before he becomes overwhelmed with items he cannot shift.

Take it with a pinch of salt at the moment but dont be suprised if Animated has come to the end of the road in the UK, our pre-order was due to ship at the end of the month so I will know more toward the end of October.

It will very sad if it is cut down so prematurely but the lack of marketing and the cartoon being confined to Nicktoons hasnt helped Animateds cause in the UK.

Update

We got the email below at 09:15 this morning

Master Carton: Qty: Item # Master Carton UPC:
    8 F-HASB-142

Assortment: Qty: Item # Individual UPC:
    Swoop (terradactyl) 2
    Sentinel Prime (pick-up) 2
    Autobot Jazz 1
    Elite Guard Bumblebee 2
    Prowl (motorcycle) 1

Hi,

Just to inform you that the item I have attached to this email has been cancelled from European Distribution by Hasbro.

Regards,

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    That sucks for the UK fans out there.

It really sucks for them indeed.

3. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh, I don't care that much :) 

4. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

UK is not the place for Transformers it seems, even Spiderman 3 made more money in the UK box office than the Transformers movie.

5. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    Bad news for the fans here, but not a massive shock, no adverts and a cartoon only on subscription TV are a recipe for failure.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least you guys got to wave 4, around here we only got the first two and it'll probably end at that.

7. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Sigh :( 

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I think we should all worry about this. If the UK cancels the line (and show, which is sure to follow), then other countries might, and Hasbro might just say "Aw screw it. Let's just pull it now."

The sales have dropped where I live. Bad. Can't move the figures for squat.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that, at least we can hope that it will continue to do well in the US so we can get more episodes.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    This doesnt surprise me at all.
    Putting the show on Nicktoons was a huge error to begin with.
    I havent seen one advert or promotion for Animated stuff either. Whoever was in charge of promotion for the line over here needs to be fired.

That said, I'm taking this as something positive. I'd be thinking of slowing down on collecting, and with only Universe on the shelves it will be easy for me to hold on to my cash with no interest in any of the figures.

Actually, I'd looove to see how Universe is doing here. Everytime I see them in stores they will have pegs upon pegs of unsold deluxes with the higher price.
    Maybe Hasbro might finally see reason to fix their prices and go for a relaunch. As it is, these things need to drop in price, not go up like the Universe stuff.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This is a disaster... Animated has been one of the best lines ever. :cry  And it was the one TF cartoon that actually deserved a more mainstream showing. Especially after the Unicron trilogy.

I dunno, do they have to cancel the toys? Can they not just scale back the quantity?

12. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I think this was the killer blow to be honest. I mean... seriously, who thought putting it on a backwater channel would be a good idea? IIRC you can only get Nicktoons if you get Sky TV's most expensive package. Hell, I didn't even know Nicktoons EXISTED before it was announced that TF:A was gonna be on it.

But yeah, bad bad BAD marketing.

13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Balls. :(  I'll agree that the choice of channel hasn't helped, TF:A doesn't exactly seem to be 'mainstream' over here. I was surprised it went to Nicktoons at all, given that CN is more widely available. The lengthy gap between the cartoon's launch and the release of the toys had me worried months ago.

14. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Well that might be due to the fact that although it's the worst Spider-man movie by far it's still way batter than Transformers. Maybe UK audiences are not as easily won over by explosions, mastibation jokes, robot golden showers and nonsense plots. However I digress.

I suspect TF:A's lack of popularity in the UK can be put down to the same reasons RID, Armada, Energon and Cybertron didn't to so well in the UK, poor/non-existent advertising, figure being missed out, the release of the toys and TV show being months apart and the fact the shows have been broadcast at terrible times or on TV stations you need a premium satellite/cable package to receive. Couple that to the fact that the pegs/shelves in most UK outlets are still packed with the heavily publicized Movie figures there little wonder Animated are not selling so well. Most kids, if they've even seen them in stores, probably have no idea what the figures are and due to the jarring difference in style to the movie figures will more likely go for what they've seen on the big screen over characters from a show they have never seen.

That's just my opinion tho. ;) 

15. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this happens, what do Hasbro UK think they are going to sell for the next 8 or whatever months it is until TF2 movie stuff starts coming in? Leftover movie 1 stuff and millions of Voyager Bulkheads?

Universe won't fare any better with kids as the deluxes are even more expensive and it doesn't even have a TV show.

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    You guys are hitting it right on the head.
    Considering the total lack of effort Hasbro puts into supporting and pushing the line over here, I feel completely justified to get irritated when they jack up the prices.

Sometimes its unavoidable, like the tiny amount Universe was supposed to go up. What was it in the states, $1 or so at most for deluxes? But here, no, £3 extra tacked on?
    Not on Hasbro, not on.

17. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it was a simple mistake as "putting" on NickToons, but the fact that Hasbro US most likely sold the rights to TFA for a lot of money (on the back of the Movie hype), to Entertainment Rights, who had to make that money back by selling it on to various broadcasters all over the world. They're more likely to make more money from selling it to NickToons than the BBC/ITV etc. The annoying thing about all this is that the BBC will be showing the new X-Men cartoon!!

We also have the problem of no adverts for the show or toys on any channel other than Nicktoons, which is probably also due to Hasbro UK not having the budget.

Transformers does have a reasonable fanbase in the UK, the movie made $50, despite being released a month after the US, on the same day as the Simpsons Movie and 2 weeks after harry Potter.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not surprised by any of this, I'm sad to say. We haven't even had the last 2 episodes of Season 2 yet; they keep getting that far and then starting again. Add to that the absolute lack of any kind of advertising puch WHATSOEVER (I have NEVER seen a single TV advert for Animated over here), not to mention a completely ridiculous price hike on the toys, and you end up with a line that even the companies involved with it can't be bothered to sell.
    Its pathetic.
    Good job, Hasbro UK. Yet again, you've successfully managed to kill the brand over here. You stupid bastards. I'll be importing everything again, I suppose, just like I've had to do with the tail end of pretty much every TF line ever made.

19. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Great. Just great. I doubt they'll even bother with any non movie lines again at this rate.

The problem here is that Hasbro UK just see's itself as a distibution arm for TF's and they have little to no feelings about bothering to market the brand in any way, they just shift the stock they get if they can. Whoever's the brand manager these days really doesn;t give a damn. But maybe they see statistics we don't...

20. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Just for the record...this is one US fan whom didn't like the 2007 movie either...for the reasons you listed plus others...the only good thing about the movie was Peter Cullen's voice and Blackout...

Back on topic...if this is cancellation is true and does happen hopefully it won't hurt the series here in the states...worst case you UK fans can always order the figures online...