Minor/Repaint: Animated Hot Rod (Very much WiP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Optimus_Prowl, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    So here I am making a brand new custom. This time it's Hot Rod from Blurr.

The first things I've done are remove the head crest, and the back of the head to make it smaller. I have also chopped the hood weapon in half to let it become the back wings for his Bot mode. I have also designed a head crest which I will add later once I have it sculpted.

The next thing I'm wondering if I even have to do is mod the shoulders. They still seem too blurrish for my tastes. Also I'm wondering if I need a spoiler in car mode now that I made it so the hood becomes the wings in bot mode?

Comments and criticisms would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I really like what you've done so far dude. i would have never thought to make that hood of the car into wings, very clever. I do think you need to give him a spoiler for his alt mode though, that big yellow spoiler is as synonymous with Hot rod as his red paint job and flame graphics in my opinion. Are you going to square off his car mode to to give him less of a Mach 5 feel?

3. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

He definetly needs a spoiler. It can be his weapon in bot mode though. The obvious choice is for it to become a bow somehow, but in my opinion a giant boomarang sword thing would be cooler.... ether way-yes spoiler.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I would've just made a spoiler on that backend of the car since it folds onto his back anyway. Nothing would have to be moved anywhere outside of the original transformation.

As-is though, it's not bad. Actually, I kinda like it. And I think the shoulders are fine. Look at Classics Hot Rod.

5. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Very very intriguing

6. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    I'll prolly do something like Dai Atlus's Z-weapon thing for a spoiler, also I think I'm gonna measure up to the hood and square it off to there.

It should work. Just need to fin some styrere... hmm.

Also just found out that once you take out the fin from blurr's head it comes up higher on his trunk.

Edit: quick note. The hood can still reassemble and attach to his arm so i can always switch it up halfway through if needed.

And do you guys think he needs arm blasters/exhaust pipes?

7. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I think you need to have the big exhaust pipes if you can figure an easy way to do them and make them work for bot mode, but otherwise maybe just a couple small pipes on the sides of the car so that they are on his forearms(for blasters) in Bot mode. Really, I guess he could still be recognizable as Hot Rod without them though. I think you should just try some stuff and see how it looks.

8. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    The only part of the arm that sticks out in car mode is angled up above the rear wheels... Hmm I'll have to get some coffee straws to try it out. I'll postpics within the next week after i work on him more.

9. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Wow. I was totally thinking straws would work for the exhaust pipes too. I just forgot to write it. Man, great minds think alike.

10. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    No updates yet, except to say that i trimmed his goatee. It looks mor like Hot Rod now that he doesn't have a super pointy chin, but a squared off one.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The shoulders are fine as is. The ones they gave Blurr look more like Hot Rod anyway. His shoulders were kinda tall with those white squares in them. Blurr already has a "square" on his shoulders, they just need to be painted.

12. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    hmm... you have a point. Maybe I'll paint them first then see if I still want to cut them. Once I have some time (next week) painting will begin. However in the mean time I'll be modding straws onto his arms for exhaust pipes, and a spoiler onto the back that TF's into a weapon (still undecided on weapon however.)

13. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    Sorry for double post but I started coloring him. and you can see the chin mod i did.

Tell me what you think.

Attached Files: