animated has character right??

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by microclone, Jun 5, 2008.

1. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i watched bits and pieces of G1 but never followed it as such, i ignored every screen version until animated. I liked the toys so much that i had to see what the show was all about. Ive since seen bits and pieces of BW,RID, AEC and simply do not get the feeling of the characters like on animated.

Reading comments on animated over the last 5 months i get the feeling that people have already got a lot of emotional tie in with the animated characters, bulkhead for eg gives the impression that hes been part of TF for 20 years, every body knows who he is, what hes like and maybe want to buy the toy (esp as the toys arent even officially out yet!)

Did this same pre toy release fandom 'warm up' occur with AEC? (if the toons were on earlier)

indeed has any line been so anticipated by so many? im sure the cartoon itself has warmed many to the toys even if initailly they just hated the new toy style direction.

2. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with you, it feels like I've been watching Animated for years :D 

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well I don't know if right is the correct word to use or not. While they might have bits that remind of characters from the past the Animated Autobots and Decepticons are pretty much new characters. Ratchet has a bit of Ironhide added to his personality, Prime is young and still feeling his way around the leadership role, even Megatron is a mix of the different Megatrons we've gotten over the years with a healthy sprinking of new as well.

Me I love all the new characters with nods back to the past, but they might not be for everyone. But yea I'm mostly going to end up getting the toys just because I got hooked on the characters on the small screen even though Star Scream has that super chin thing going on.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I know I bought many Armada toys based on the character's personalities and stories. Energon and Cybertron I never really got into, nor RiD, but BW and Armada had plenty of guys who's in show personalities caused me to want toys of them.

While I will agree that Animated has a better storyline overall, and the action and sub-plots are far superior to many, if not all, of the previous TF cartoons (BW/BM being the only thing close to it in quality) I can't say that the characters from Animated jump out at me more then previous TF shows. In the end, they're all fairly stereotypical character arch types, it's just everything else about the show lets them work it to their advantage.

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I think one of the best things about Armada were the 'new' characters. Hotshot and Red Alert being totally new characters with new core personalities was great. While similar to previous TFs they were unique.

Cyclonus uand Demolishor are still 2 of my favorite decepticons. They were corny and new.

I think this is why Bulkhead and lugnut are getting such a fanbase. They are simply NEW. BA might as well be the same exact character from the other series. Same with some of the others. Bulkhead and Lugnut are fresh which means we have the exciting chance to meet them a little more each week opposed to Starscream who we can almost predict what he will do as we have seen him for 20 years.

6. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    For me, Animated is this generations G1.

It gets so much right where AEC got it so wrong. The characters have... well, character. The main cast is used well and each has their own very specific and identifyable idiosyncrasies, but without being too 'locked-in' to who they are.

I love how Bulkhead is fast becoming a fan favourite - he deserves it :) 

The toys are some of the best to be branded Transformers for a long time in my opinion. Most of the AEC stuff was not to my liking, the movie toys are terrible in comparison to the animated figures. The only line that I consider to be equally as good is binaltech/alternators which is currently enjoying a kind of zombie status (returning from the dead).

7. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Not with the toys per se for me. But that I was seeing a resurgence in vehicle characters rather than beasts.

The problem though was getting into the groove of the shows.
    Animated did that faster than any of the animes.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I totally agree with everything you said in the OP with the exception of BW. Watching bits and peices of BW is useless unless you've seen it before because it is not only the best TF TV series thus far but it also has the most character and a truely unique story. (so does Animated, which is why it's so good but IMO BW is the best and has always been so)

I disagree on the Bulkhead/Lugnut thing. Obviously because they're new names with new faces and characters doesn't mean everyone else is exactly the same as their namesakes. Optimus for example is his own charcter and BA, while retaining the classic demeanor and whatnot is still her own personallity. And about SS, I think you're just flatout wrong on that. This Starscream is still very Starscramish, but compared to all the other Starscreams he's more competant, more unpredictable, way more fuuny and even a hell of a lot more resourceful. (And army of clones all under his command? He's never had those. The Seekers of G1 answered to him mostly, but only if it didn't contradict what Megatron said, plus, he didn't build them himself) Animated Starscream is basically G1 Starscream done right. You can't say taht each week you'll be looking forward to what BH or LN will do just because they're new, they have established characters and you know what they might do and what they won't. Lugnut for example does whatever Megatron tells him to do, or what Blitzwing tells him to do.

All the characters of Aniamted that have namesakes pay homage to their old selves with their actions and personallities, while still being fresh and relatively unpredictable at the same time.

9. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I think plastic crack does exist, 'cause everyone around here seems to be getting a high off downloading this stuff early or buying the figures online.

I think the TF movie coming out had something to do with it, we're still hyped up on it in its success and seeing our fav characters on the big screen and fresh new fans seeking to know the truth of the key to vector sigma. And by the power of interent a lot of us are sharing the experience with others on a day to day basis. The g1 jokes and accurate generation depiction don't hurt, either.

And most of us are still waiting to hear Starscream wail "I'm ready, I'm ready!" I know, I'm evil

10. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I haven't bought any TF DVD's since the G1 boxset and the movie, yet I can't wait to just own the set of this show.
    The toys just can't seem to come quick enough. I'm glad I held out on ebay, and I'm anoyed as hell that my TRU didn't get the 2 pack...

... But man, on that day I randomly go to TRU, see them figures, and buy the entire line avalible to me, it'll be one great day. The wait will have seemed worth it, and I'll be happy to be a TF fan when I take them into work before I take them home.

11. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, Animated is simply the best TF show ever. It takes the good elements of G1 (cartoon and comic), BW, BM as well as the WB DC cartoons (Teen Titans, LOSH, Batman/Superman TAS) and mixes them to a great show.

For example, Ratchet is more like his G1 comic self (who took on Megatron numerous times) with a little cartoon Kup thrown in... BA is like the BW BA mixed with Catwoman... and so on.

Reading your comments, it's weird that you guys in the USA don't have the toys yet. They are on sale in Hungary already, and we usually receive toys much later then you... Strange.

12. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

I love Animmated to death!!
    But I still think the characters from the Beast era are the best. The relationship between Ratchet and Prime from Animated is very reminiscent of the relationship between Rhinox and Primal from BW :) 

TFA is like the love-child of G1 and BW :lol 

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I love this show. Nuff said, but I think it's more like the awesome 90's Marvel shows than DCAU