Minor/Repaint: Animated Goldbug WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ravenxl7, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hi all. Just started this one today, even though I already have at least 5 others I'm currently working on. Not sure when I'll get this, or any of my other WIP's done. The clear coat I have has gone bad, and now leaves a white coating instead of staying clear. I'll have to get a new can before I can finish anything. Might have some updates for my other WIP's here soon. Should still be able to get some more black and silver on Megs and Raven, and start some mods on the Insecticons. Dirge is almost done, just have to get some pins back into him, and paint his head. Anyways, I've done a rough digibash of my basic plans for this kitbash, and have taken two pictures of what I've started so far. Basically the blue on the head and windows, and the red for the eyes. I'll need to find my tape before I can really start painting the other parts. I'll be coming up with a bio to explain this characters existence, and a little about his past. Thanks for any and all comments.

Name- Goldbug
    Faction- Decepticon
    Function- Espionage & Torture
    Moto- "This is going to hurt you way more than it's going to hurt me, wait, THAT'S THE POINT!!!"

Galactic Powers:
    -Evil version of Bumblebee.
    -Stingers can shoot holes in armor plating.
    -Revels in the pain of others.

Bio:
    There was a time when Goldbug would have shot you if you told him he would end up a Decepticon warrior. Though now that he's found himself in an alternate reality, he's found comfort in the ranks he once despised. Even though he hasn't met his opposite yet, Bumblebee, he's realized that he must be weak, or dead, as none of the Decepticons he's met so far know who he is. As much fun as he now has with his new warrior brethren, he still misses the ones he left behind, especially his old friend Bulkhead, the demolitions master.

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Nice! You sure you aren't over coating the clear coat? Sometimes it has the "ghosting" affect when that happens, leaving a white coat behind. It also could be the temp. Anywhoo, Good luck, man! Looking forward to it. :thumb 

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm not, though I may run some tests on some ko/junker parts I don't care about. I also thought it could have been the temperature, and it could have been a factor as I had been spraying while in the basement in the middle of the winter, but I've also sprayed it upstairs when it was warmer (I'll test that too, as it's been nice and warm the past couple of days). I unfortunetly first noticed this after I sprayed it onto parts of my Classics Hound figure (first one of my figures to suffer from sticky window paint). I'll have to do some cleaning on him. That could have been over coating it, as I did it in a bit of a rush, and wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing. I just hope I'm able to fix him (haven't seen a Hound in stores since I bought him).

4. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    he's a con?

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yep, I'm basing him off of SG Goldbug (the bio I'm coming up will help explain it a bit more).

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Just added his info, Galactic Powers, and Bio to the first post. Hopefully it makes sense :D 

7. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Defently looking forward to this!
    I want to do a Shatter Glass Animated Goldbug, but i dont have the time sence iv been working on my BW: Ani line.
    Still defently cant wait to see this guy!
    Good luck!

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D  Hopefully I'm able to find my painters tape soon. Can't really do anything else till I find it, lol.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, haven't been able to find my painters tape yet, but I was able to find some tape I can use in it's place (i think it's freezer tape or something). Anyways, I was able to tape up some parts and start painting them. Actually now all of his parts have at least one layer of paint on them now. Here are two more WIP shots taken right after painting some blue on his main body and head, and then some primer on his feet and arms. Will be painting some parts black later today, and others will need another coat or two of blue before I then tape them up and spray them black. I've decided that the strip will be gold, to fit in with his name a bit better. That and I already have gold paint I can use :D 

Attached Files:

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update. The tape seems to be working well enough so far. The torso is now prepped and ready for black paint (as seen in the picture below, which is admittedly blurry, lol). Decided to put the other Activators BB I have in there for comparison. I'm going to start painting the torso black the same time I start painting the feet and arms black (to give everything it's first coating at the same time. By the time I go to do that the back of the head should be done, so I'll be able to bring it up and set it next to the front part of his head. Those will probably be the first two pieces I clear coat, depending on how my test with that goes. going along pretty smoothly. On a side note, I'm using the same blue I used for my Overlord kitbash. I'm surprised there was any left in the can, tbh.

Attached Files:

11. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

exellent work man, I realy love the way your work is so different and the imagination and story telling that goes along with your customs.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks, that means a lot to me :D 

Just put the first layer of black onto the torso, feet, and arms. I'm going to give it some extra time to dry this time (always do with black anyways). The second picture is of normal Bumblebee, the two halfs of Goldbug's head, and the peice I just tested my clear coat on. Hopefully it dries ok, as I just put a light coating onto it. I'd rather not have to go out and buy another can of clear coat before I can finish anything. Might actually have most, if not all, of this guy painted by the end of this weekend, lol.

Attached Files:

13. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awsome I love Shattered Glass.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D  I'm not a big fan of SG, but I do like the paint scheme they came up for Goldbug. Though I think it could look even better on the Classics Bumblebee mold. It's extremely doubtful, but it'd be cool, imo, if Hasbro were to repaint Classics Bumblebee into SG Goldbug colors, and with a new head of course, under the Universe line when it comes back. I'd even settle for a more traditional Goldbug color scheme if they were to come up with a Goldbug themed head for him.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Nothing new to show yet, but I figured I'd update the thread on my progress. The black is going on nicely, but it is going to take a good couple of coats to cover everything. Looking at the head, I'm going to need to do some touch-ups on it, but it's practically done. I did test my clear coat, and it seems I was a bit heavy handed with it, and possibly a combination of the cold getting to it. It's been nice and warm today (like it has been the pat couple of days). I'll take some more pictures tomorrow when I go to put another coat of black on him. I might even start work on the gold stripe If I get the chance. This'll probably be the fastest kitbash I've ever done (it helps that this is my spring break :D ).

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not a big update, but figured I should post this anyways. Sprayed another coat of black on a little while ago (before eating lunch :D ). It's going well. I have a good feeling I'll be able to tape him up later today and spray some gold. Going to go back down here soon to see how that last coat of black took, and might put another on. Might have another picture to put up when I get back up here.

Attached Files:

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, the black is going well, might not even take one more coating for the parts still down there. The arms are done, and I've taken to pictures of Bumblebee modeling them in alt and bot-modes. I've also just given them a light spraying of clear coat (should still work fine). The torso and feet are still downstairs, but they should be read for taping later today. Can't really think of anything else to say. If everything goes good today, he should be done sometime tomorrow, or Sunday.

Attached Files:

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm going to wait till tomorrow to post any more pictures of this guy (going to build up a little suspense :ev: ). The black is all done, except for a couple of small touch ups. The tape actually did really good for not being actual painters tape. I like how some of the black and primer got threw the seems a bit. It makes him look as though he attempted to paint himself, which is a good thing, imo. Though some may find it imperfect and ugly. I think it gives him a griddier look. All I really have left to do now is the gold stripe, a couple of touch ups, and clear coat (which is going well lately). He looks god next to Bumblebee. For my first Animated kitbash, I think it's going well. I've got at least two more I'm planning on doing at some point, probably over the summer :D 

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, I was so proud of the work I did with the taping for the stripe, that I've decided to post two more WIP shots of this guy. One is immediately after finishing with the tape, and the other is right after spraying the gold on. Which may take one more coating, but that should be it (it does a good job covering other paint, even black).

Edit: Now that I actually look at the photos, lol, I've noticed that the gold I sprayed looks more like silver in the picture. I'm 100% sure that I actually did spray gold, and not silver, it's just a combination of the bad camera and even worse lighting.

Attached Files:

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, the gold came out extremely well, and with only one coat. I'll most likely clear coat him tonight before I go to bed, and take some pictures of him tomorrow (I'm thinking about submitting him for a the galleries, though the one I submitted for my Overlord kitbash never did make it up :redface2: ). Not only my first Animated custom, but also the fastest custom I've ever done :D  I'll hopefully get some work done on Megs, Raven, and the Insecticons tomorrow.