Animated Elite Guard Bumblebee Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't find a thread for this repaint of BB. If there already is one, please join the threads. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Elite Guard Bumblebee

Click on the link above for more pictures

Remarks: Oh, look! It's Shattered Glass Goldbug, reformatted for the Animated series. Well no, not quite. It's actually Animated Bumblebee with a new coat of paint. So instead of doing a full review, I will just highlight the differences here.

First of all, the new paint is mostly black and gold, though some yellow parts are left-over from the previous colour-scheme, all of them visible in robot mode only (except for the inner tires). It somewhat fits, as you can imagine Bumblebee having Sari give him a new paintjob in vehicle mode, leaving those parts that only appear in robot mode unchanged (though I think it would have looked better if all the yellow had turned gold). What doesn't fit with this is his head, though. On the figure it's black, while on the back of the package it's still yellow. The pic on the back of the card also misses the Elite Guard Autobot symbol on BB's chest. Strange. Also, it's somewhat unfortunate that they painted over Bumblebee's siren in car mode.

Elite Guard Bumblebee is not just a simple repaint, though. A small, but significant change has been made to the mold itself. Bumblebee's stingers now fold away properly into his forearms instead of sticking out halfway like they did in the original version. Nicely done. The stingers can even remain inside (mostly) when the hands are folded in, too. Like I said a small, but very nicely done and effective remold.

Finally you can add some speculation here. Will this new colour scheme ever appear in the cartoon series? Does it mean Bumblebee will actually join the Elite Guard one day? Or is it just wishful thinking and another repaint scheme? We'll find out sooner or later. But as someone who wasn't one hundred percent down with the original Bumblebee, I very much appreciate this newer version of him. I like the colours better, I very much appreciate the small remold for the forearms, and overall I like this figure quite a bit. Still don't like the character it represents, but you can't have everything. So a clear recommendation to everyone who wasn't completely satisfied with the 1st Bumblebee.

Rating: B+

2. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    nice review...i dont really like this figure..the paint job just..isnt bumblebee...good that they fixed his stingers etc, i guess...but i'll pass on this

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i hope he actually does get in the elite guard or this figure makes no sense at all...
    then again, i highly doubt he will

5. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The description on the back of the box just says he's just cosplaying...

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The Season 2 'Sneak peak' pic of BB from the Season 1 DVD in these colours almost makes me want to buy him. If only it had a black head.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    he does have a black head

8. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Interesting..... I might go for this one rather than the first wave Bumblebee because of the stingers problem being fixed.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No, I meant the picture on the DVD. Of course the actual figure has a black head. It's not something you can miss when his is that big.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    when you say fixed the stingers, did they take off plastic from the stingers, or the yellow blocks from inside his arms?

11. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

The Stingers are the same, they changed the insides of the forearms.

12. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish I could swap the forearm plates easily... But my screw driver can't fit inside good.

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    cant wait till mine gets here (BBTS along with Sentinel and Swoop) though im curious, are there any other changes? besides the stingers and colors

14. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I like the blue window and jet packs.

15. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i think this is the stupidest repaint ever...i mean..sari gave him an elite guard look paintjob just for the heck of it? i mean, cmon...
    nice review though :D 

16. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

i want it...i actually want it

17. JetStreaker

JetStreaker Average Joe

I wasn't sure about this repaint when I first saw the pics online, but after checking it out in person I think it's great. Only two things I would have done differently:

1. paint the siren red
    2. paint a battle faceplate on the head

Otherwise outstanding and they fixed the stingers to boot!
    -Jet

18. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

I was actually going to use my unused battle mask sticker from the Reprolables upgrade set to turn him into Goldbug.

19. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

I actually like this repaint quite a bit; way more than I was expecting. It's funny how a palette swap can change (or IMO, improve) the perceived quality of a figure. I think the colors used on this repaint work really well. I do agree with the OP that less or no yellow in favor of gold or black would have been even better.

I'm just going to say it's Goldbug, who in my mind, will be a separate character from BB in the Animated universe. I'm either going to use the Reprolables faceplate sticker, or sculpt my own, to further differentiate him from Bumblebee.

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Got this guy the other day since I didn't find anything while hunting and wanted to go home with something.

I gotta say this guy is awesome. The deco is so different that I feel like it's an entirely different character altogether.

I think I'll rename him Yellowjacket, like the movie Stealth Bumblebee I had. :D