2D Artwork: Animated Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Ra88, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Liked the initial sketch I had made (shown below in attachments), so I decided to work on it a bit more. :) 

Colors coming tomorrow, hopefully.

EDIT: It's done!

[​IMG]

Oh, quick note: The Mixmaster leg was traced from a screencap, so don't lynch me for that plz.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It looks really cool, and is a really good concept. It's just too bad that it'll most likely never happen on the show, let alone with the toy line. Keep up the good work :thumbs2: 

3. orionpx

orionpx Banned

awesome work man

4. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I love it! I will definitely have to make an avatar of this guy! :) 

5. IsThatOne

IsThatOne Spark Rebirther Core

YES YES YES!!! This is so cool!!!
    Haaa.. I would think this way would be best. Only the combined character trait would form a questionable yet funny argument.

If these guys were a real figure now... they would be the most articulated out of the line... oh well.
    Animated concept are really a treat!

6. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love this design. It works so well with the trio constructicons, especially with dirtboss being the chest/head. Excellent job dude! :thumb :thumb :thumb 

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Oooooh! So that was you who did that. I believe someone on /toy/ called it an "Asymmetrical Docker." lol

8. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    looks realyy good and a cool concept. I only have one thind, one side looks thicker than the other, perhaps make mixmaster the lower portion and scavenger the upper body and keep dirtboss as the head. might look more praportionate to me. either way it looks cool

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is a lovely design :) thumb), though I'm still scratching my head wondering how Mixmaster stretches so much. Scrapper I can believe, though.

10. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

ummm...:bay :bowdown: :bay .ya that about sums it up.

11. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Awesome. Just awesome.

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

awesome

13. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Why does he remind me of Energon Omega Supreme? A really MEH looking Energon Omega Supreme....

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys! :D 

Yeah, I have a basic idea of how Mixmaster works but it's still pretty much cartoon magic...Basically, the entire wheel/cab/dozer bit pulls up to form the front of the vehicle mode, like in the drawing. Then to give space for the upper leg, it pulls down again on another hinge.
    Next he does a handstand with his arms hinging up so they're fully above the (downed) head, before collapsing in on themselves and pressing together and around the hinge of the cab to form the upper leg (I imagine that a potential toy would only have 'half' arms to accomplish this).
    The rest is pretty straightforward: The faux mixer pulls down with it's outer edges moving backwards to form the hip and part of the waistarmor. His 'pot belly' forms the bulky chest now, and he turns 180 degrees at the waist and bends his legs to form the shoulder. Finally, the mixer pulls out on an arm hidden in the mixer itself, clips onto slots in the legs, and voilá: Mixmaster half of Devastator. :D 

I was going for a kind of asymmetrical look because Mixmaster is much more bulky then Scrappy, but I do agree that it might be a bit tóó extreme...I think I'll change that before I start coloring it later today.

Hehe, ayup. The Devastator thread here and the people talking about it on /toy/ were the ones that made me want to try it and out.

If you don't like it, then feel free to tell me why and/or what aspects you don't like. I don't mind critism, hell, I want it! :) 

15. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Okay, but this is gonna be a bit biased, obviously. Well, for starters, that color scheme... I dunno. It just doesn't say Devastator to me. That's the biased part. Secondly, we're back to the Energon/Superlink "Giant robot needs no hands" thing that always rubbed me the wrong way. Omega Supreme was a bittersweet pill to swallow.

Most of all, that design doesn't really lend itself to a potential toy anyway. That was one thing I was VERY impressed with Animated. Despite the stupid looking animation, the figures were VERY accurate, and looked as if they could transform, and I'm not seeing that with this Devastator design.

16. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    WOW!

17. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    ...i think im in love.

-rikkuluverx2

18. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Final version is up, check it out!

Yup, all fair complaints. :) 

The colorscheme is not really something I can change, unfortunately. And I know that he doesn't have traditional hands, but I thought it would look good if he had the same thing as Omega Supreme (and even Bulkhead) going on. Besides, I really wanted to get the cement mixer as a cannon in, as a homage to one of the Symmetrical Docker combiners from GaoGaiGar, hehe.

As for the design: I think it could be translated into a toy. Liberties will have to be taken, of course, but really, each Animated figure suffers from that (like how Shockwave has all the wrong proportions when you think about it).

I don't think there's a chance in hell this will ever get a toy, though. And I don't mind! IF we ever got an Animated Devastator, then I myself would prefer it to be a 4 or 5 part combiner. :) 

Thanks for voicing your critism! :D 

19. DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer Well-Known Member

awesome :) 

20. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Damn that totally works.
    Great job.