Animated Deluxe Class Oil Slick

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by D Banks, May 29, 2008.

1. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

With arms straight down at his sides, they can bend forward about 100 degrees, and back 90 degrees.

Straight legged, knees cannot bend forward, but go back about 170 degrees - you can go 180, but then you're transforming him.

My only two gripes are minor ones -

1) The shoulders don't peg together very well, but given the small size of the joint it doesn't much matter.

2) The chain on his weapon is shorter and not nearly as nice as the one on the package pick. Easily fixed with a trip to ACMoore.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The right arm on mine keeps falling off too. Otherwise he looks pretty cool in both modes.

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I was gonna pass on this guy. Like some others I thought well if he is not in the show I dont need em.

Then I saw the promo art from SDCC for the TFA Comic that Marty is writing with Oil Slick in it.

Looked awesome.

Found one today and I am so glad I got him.

He just oozes evil counter-part to Prowl. He can do some great poses too!

Another winner for Animated. 9/10 for me.(minus 1 for no waist rotation and limited shoulder movement)

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Picked him (and Jazz) up on the way home from Quakecon yesterday (couldn't find Blitzwing so I settled for some wave 3 deluxes I needed). I really like him. He just looks cool. And as an as of now non-show character, it's kinda cool trying to make a character for him. I hadn't read his bio until a bit after I got him, and the ideas I had seemed fairly close to what Hasbro gave him, which I thought was pretty cool. Solid posability, and he just looks badass. Show character or not, he is worth owning.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oil Slick seems like one of those "love or hate" toys to me. I'm not particularly impressed myself. I'm not a fan of the baby-food-green color and the spindly build with a tiny head. Barrel-chain weapons are interesting but awkward, and the transformation isn't much beyond crouching over. I will admit the bike mode is cool in a Mad Max sort of way, even if I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast.

Overall, there's not much wrong with the toy, but it's just not the kind of thing I like.

6. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I really like this awesome guy. Oil Slick is highly poseable.. ;) 

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That he is =^-^=

Can get some nice things coming outta him. Also, that pose is sick.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Picked this guy up today and I'm really torn on if I like him or not.

The bike mode is great, no denying, but is green really the colour for something with a ram's head on? I think maybe some browns might've been better and give him a rougher biker feel. Or some dark purple and dark blues. Still, I'm sure Hasbro have the repaints already planned.
    Anyway, nice to see the same detail carried over that Prowl had, what with the gauges molded and with needles included. I really hate those soft rubbery handlebars though. And having to swivel them a bit when transforming just makes me worried they're gonna tear off at some point.

Robot mode is where I'm really undecided if I like him or not. He feels very 'bottom heavy'. The last time I felt like this about a figure was Armada Sideswipe, where all the action seemed to be happening on the lower half of the figure, especially with those barrels stored away. Pity there weren't also some peg holes to store the barrels on his back to even him out. Could've made for a nice set of jetpack boosters then too. :) 
    I'm guessing the green is because of his big old preying mantis hands, which do go some small way to evening out his bottom-heavy nature, and his helmet dome does make the sickly colour seem more fitting. Still doesn't rest too easy on my eyes though.
    He certainly needs a meal too, making even Prowl look like a bloater. I wish there were some panels to flip out onto his waist to give it some more heft, even if only a little bit.
    His barrel weapons are kinda lame, especially the one that's just got a flip-top. Maybe he's an alcoholic and that's just his energon hip (heel) flask. The barrel with the chain would've benefitted from perhaps having a flip-out hook on one of the halves, just to make it seem more dangerous than flinging half a barrel at the enemy.
    The shoulder joints worry me, as the ball joints on mine are rather stiff and I have concerns that posing his arms might break those small hinge parts.
    The creepy pointy fingers remind me of Beast Machines, and along with his weird Halloween helmet and sickly colours gives him a rather unsettling grasping feel.
    Maybe that's the point. Maybe he's supposed to weird me out. I half expect to wake up in the night and find him stood on my chest, about to cut out my eyes. At least he doesn't have glow in the dark parts (although that might've been cool).

So yeah... undecided. Undecided and unsettled...

10. kaizer3000

kaizer3000 I..AM...A MACHINE!!

saw him at toys r us today...not gonna pick him till i get my salary...most of my income gone on Cybertron models already...

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I was surprised with this guy. His arms are a bit of a mess, not highly posable but they're cool and creepy. The fact that they can't bend back kinda sucks. The legs have good range and no waist isn't an issue. Vehicle mode is weird though, but I like his weapons.

12. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's cool. The metal chain is nice, don't know about the mods to the actual barrel, though.

I might do that and use his chain for something else, then again his chain does complete the cartoony look and looks more like a real chain.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wanted to do a reaching pose with his creepy hands, but because they don't rotate at the elbow or anything he's a bit limited there (unless you cheat and open up his shoulder hinges a bit). At the moment he's in a 'Mmm... rubbing my belly...' pose. :p 

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oil Slick is a weird one for me. I love the look of both modes. Not only do both modes have a rockin' aesthetic, and not only are both modes virtually kibble-free, but both modes hide from each other very well. A true rarity.

The only, and I mean only, mark I can strike against this guy is the non-stimulating brain-dead transformation. However, that's a huge one in my book. But I can't really wag my finger at the engineers because both modes are so perfect there really is no better way to design the transformation.

Recommended anyway, but only if you have already taken care of the more "significant" Animated purchases.

16. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Here's my opinion on Oil Slick:

17. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    finally picked this guy up on sale after seeing him in Transwarped, only reason i had held off was that he wasnt in the show. Love him, very unique and i love how all his parts fit together.

18. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got around to getting him. Design's a bit odd, but he is fun at least. He kinda reminds me of Dio Brando for some reason.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i like him alot, esp. cause his 4 wheel motor cycle is actually something that exists

20. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Oh, where to start? Should the first topic be the glass bucket over his head that’s made to look like it’s filled with liquid? Or maybe his nicely twisted proportions that make him very tall and spindly, but with large hands and feet? His quite excellent articulation? No, I say with start with the hands, those excellent hands. Not only are they quite large, they also feature individually sculpted claw-like fingers, which make Oil Slick the first and only Transformer ever who is capable of sinisterly intertwine his fingers in front of him, underscoring his mad evil genius image.

So, let’s move on and... well, I did mention most of the stuff I wanted to already. Oil Slick is designed in such a way that it would be nearly impossible to make him a good guy, no matter the repaint’s colors. The bucket, the hands, the spikes, his entire look is just evil. Little side note on the bucket: apparently the designers originally intended to the thing to actually be filled with liquid, but the idea was abandoned because of fears it might leak in transport and, more importantly, the quality of the water in China was... questionable.

The one area where Oil Slick slightly disappoints is weaponry. He carries two drums on his feet, one of which is an actual drum that’s meant to contain his chemical weapons stuff. The other drum splits into two halves that are connected by a short chain, becoming a flail. While not the worst weapons ever, they are far from the best, either. Apart from that, though, an excellent, evil robot.

Alternate Mode: Oil Slick transforms into a bike that is very loosely based (mostly just the four-wheeled design) on a Dodge Tomahawk concept motorcycle. Basically it’s a big hog with a horned skull up front, leading to at least one kitbash I know that made him into a TF version of Skeletor. Anyway, the bike exudes menace and looks very cool in a dangerous way, so no complaints. It’s also big enough that other Deluxe-sized Transformers can easily serve as riders without looking out-of-scale. So bottom line: a very cool looking motorcycle, no complaints at all.

Remarks: When he first came out Oil Slick enjoyed the distinction of being the only Animated toy so far that had not appeared in the Animated TV series first. His first in-media appearance was actually in the comic books, before he finally did appear (if but briefly) in the third season episode “Transwarped”. Apparently he originally was designed as a toy-only character, but the Animated cartoon people liked him, so they gave him a cameo appearance anyway.

As a toy Oil Slick is just plain fun. An evil-looking robot transforms into an evil-looking motorcycle. Very nice. While he is certainly not the most prolific character in Animated and not a must-have by any definition, he’s a good Animated Deluxe figure that you won’t regret buying.

Rating: B