Animated continuing in Titan UK comic!

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Bumblethumper, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    A while back it was reported that Titan was cancelling their TF:Animated comic. Of course this only added to the doom and gloom and speculation about the demise of Animated.

Anyway, I just picked up issue 23 of their regular TF comic, and they seem to be continuing their original Furman-scripted Animated comic series alongside their Furman-scripted Movie series. I also noticed that where before, this was titled the "Transformers" comic, it is now the "Transformers Universe" comic.

I hadn't been buying either of Titan comics, but now that they're offering 2 all-new comic strips in each issue, it's a lot more worthwhile. I was thrilled to see more Animated, so naturally I had to get it. Furman seems to be running his own continuity here, though I didn't notice any major conflict with the official continuity this time. The much loathed Afterburn made a brief reappearance, but it looks like his days are numbered.

Anyone else check it out? Animated ends with a 'to be continued', and this issue's movie strip pretty much has the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. Fun stuff.

Attached Files:

2. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Not sure if I really want to read Animated fiction that the creative staff doesn't have a hand in.

The great thing about the IDW comic was that Marty wrote it.

3. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    It's really no different than how it was back when Furman wrote the G1 comic in the eighties. Similarly I don't think any of the movie comics have been written by the movie's creative team. While it was great that the IDW Animated comic was the same continuity to the show, Furman has an interesting way of putting his own spin on things.

Anyway, people can take or leave it, I just thought it was nice to see that Titan's UK Animated comic isn't as dead as had been presumed. Anything that helps kids get into the toys, it'd be great to get in some new waves over here.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I think it's mostly just carrying on with stories intended for the later issues of the comic - possibly to wrap up the plot?

Great to get some resolution at any rate. Looks like I'm adding this to the Resources pages shortly.

5. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    That's certainly possible, maybe even likely. Though it does say something on the inside cover about the 'cartoon crusaders' having a new home.

At any rate, it's a welcome change from all the padding and filler the comic used to have.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Afterburner.

The character that is, I still think his design is horrible.

7. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    added some crappy cameraphone pics.

Shroob, since I missed the previous issues, does Afterburn have an alt mode?

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    He has an altmode. It's some kind of off-road buggy.

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The padding is, unfortunately, still there. :( 

10. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    interesting. Anyone feel like uploading a pic?

...true, but it now has double the original comic content it had before.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Let's just hope the Animated stories continue 'cos I'd be pissed if they finished what they had left over from the TF:A comic and then dumped the increased page count from it while keeping the new hiked cover price.

12. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    That sticker price is in euros; the cover price is still £2.99. Ironically I think it may work out a little cheaper for me than it used to, since Sterling has devalued against the Euro.

I'm not sure if the page count has increased either, they probably just finished one of the reprinted stories. They promise all new Animated for the next issue, so hopefully they'll continue with their original material.

If it's just a case of running the material already produced for the cancelled comic, I imagine they'll replace it with stories from the IDW Animated series when they get done with it. But for the present, the original material has doubled, and that's a pretty good deal. 22 original pages out of 68 is better than the mere 11 they were doing before.

13. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Issue 22 was £2.70 and issue 23 is £2.99. Just checking and issue 22 had 52 pages (including covers) and issue 23 has 68 pages (including covers). Certainly I hope those extra pages are filled with original material for a long time to come. I know I'll also be glad when the Megatron Origins and Beast Wars reprint strips end too. Not sure which reprints I'd like them to be replaced with, but almost anything would be better.

14. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    hmm interesting .... I did not know that. The only other issue I have here is #13, and it was also £2.99. It had an 'Animated pull-out special' that consisted of a 2 page comic strip of utter mediocrity, a few character bios and a lot of padding.

I think some of the G1 UK strips would work okay, in that they were originally written at a shorter length. I generally don't read the reprints, but I'm glad new fans get a chance to see some of the incredible Don Figueroa stuff they've been reprinting.

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    When isn't there padding? :p 

If memory serves, the comic was £2.60 a few months earlier too, so this would be the second price rise (without prior warning or acknowledgement after the fact in the comic).

16. Bumblethumper

News Credits:

Well they've at least improved on #13 with the current Animated 'pull-out'. (which I have no intention of 'pulling out')

I dunno, I hadn't really been getting the Titan comic. I didn't think it was worth getting before. It's certainly a better deal now, than buying it, and the old Animated Titan comic.

17. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Indeed, although from the sounds of it you're not paying extra for it. But then it also sounds like you've been paying more all along. I think we both balance out. :p 

I shouldn't be so picky about a comic for little kids, but it just doesn't seem as good as back in the Marvel UK TF comic days. But then back then I didn't already have the strips they were reprinting, so I suppose if I didn't collect IDW comics then it would be more fulfilling to me. But if it can keep evolving and get rid of the fluff then it may one day turn into something great. But it's keeping the TF brand on comic shelves and in the mind of UK kids so that's something I guess.

And at least it isn't anywhere near as bad as the UK Armada comic was. :p 

18. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    well I think it was weekly or at least fortnightly before, which was better for continuing storylines, though I tended to miss a lot of issues. I guess the market has changed.

Newspapers, magazines and everything are a lot heftier than they used to be, so I suppose padding is now expected. What bothers me is that the padding just tends to bring down the tone of the whole thing. I should probably look past it.

But I had been getting the IDW Allspark Saga reprints specifically to avoid all that. Less trashy, and the art just looked better shrunk down to U.S. comic size.

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I'm dumb enough to buy both the UK comic and the IDW reprints of the UK strips. I'm sure there's some kind of TF OCD going on there. :p 

20. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Swoop cliffhanger! 8D

And he still hasn't talked...