Animated Blazing Lockdown

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Aigis, Jan 3, 2009.

1. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

2. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Awesome picture! I wish I had a digital camera.

Here's the alt mode with the chainsaw attached.

[​IMG]

And Ratchet with the EMP.

[​IMG]

3. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

No, that is not why they get snapped off. They get snapped off because no reasonable person expects a toy's hands to be bent sideways at the wrist. Humans can't do that, most TFs can't do that, and it looks bizarre and awkward to leave them that way.

Bent hands aren't a character trait, they're a symptom of lazy design. In fact, the deluxe Lockdown mold has lazy design in general. His shoulders are more likely to swivel away from the chest than they are to actually bend, and his "knees" are in the middle of his calves. He has no ankle articulation, his engine part-forms, and the cruddy plastic that makes up most of his body gets more scratches on it than a person attacked by a bear. He's a cool display piece, but his posability and play value are dismal.

P.S.: At no point while typing this did my wrists bend sideways. If yours do, you might want to see a doctor.

4. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

Any reasonable person would stop pressing the piece in as hard as they could, stop for a second, actually look at the thing and have the common sense to say 'oh, that isn't supposed to move anymore'. Just because your wrists don't bend sideways, doesn't mean it has to be out of the realm of possibility for a toy of a character from a kids cartoon. The way the wrists are is clearly a design choice based on character, as the fact that they haven't 'fixed' it after three uses is testament. They didn't fix it because there was never anything wrong. :) 

and honestly, I'd like to see you design a Transformer that was half as show accurate as Lockdown with the same level of functionality. and if you hate the mold so much, why exactly are you in this thread in the first place other than to flame and be a nuisance?

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Wait, your wrists can't bend like an unmodified Lockdown's? Dude, you need to see a doctor, there's something seriously wrong with your arms.

Moving on from Alan's solid wrists, they clearly are a design choice. HasTak fixed the stingers on Bumblebee because they should have folded all the way in from the beginning. Why fix that but not Lockdown's hands? Because that's what Lockdown's hands are supposed to be like.

6. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

Thank you sledge, not to mention their other efforts lately. Voyager Op's Autobot symbol being added, the fixed Onslaught release, the longer wing pegs on Universe Stormcloud. Insinuating that Hasbro is lazy is basically libel.

7. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm wishing they'd left Lockdown's hook with Blazing Lockdown rather than replace it with a chainsaw that won't lock in very well. Blazing would have been a definite keeper then.

8. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Oops, my bad. I forgot that his fingers were curled in, and misinterpreted the hands as being bent sideways instead of curled inward. And I was a bit too harsh on the toy. I actually like it a lot; I was just in a cruddy mood that day.

9. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

I never picked up the original, so I got this one today along with Swindle! I am a lucky boy!

10. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Remarks: Blazing Lockdown is a repaint of the first Animated Lockdown, so look there for the full review. Just some words on the differences here. Two things have changed for this "Blazing" repaint of the Decepticon bounty hunter. First is the new paint job. Where the first Lockdown was black with grey and green highlights, this one here is black with yellow-gold highlights. The gold is a bit more wide-spread than the non-black colors were in the first version and is applied in a flame pattern on his legs, forearms and back in robot mode, appearing on the hood and roof in vehicle mode.

The second change is that the hook the original Lockdown had on his weapon gauntlet has been replaced with a golden buzzsaw. Now nothing against robots armed with buzzsaws, but in this case I do have a bit of a jibe, seeing as the saw is basically just plugged into the spot where the hook was. It's not fixed there and doesn't fit a hundred percent, either. It's either at an angle to the rest of the gauntlet or wobbles. I'd have liked it better if it were fixed in place properly, though that would probably have been a bit difficult as it needs to be able to flip inwards in vehicle mode. Don't get me wrong, the buzzsaw looks cool in both robot and vehicle mode, but design-wise it could have been done better.

No other changes to the figure. There was a rumor before this figure came out that Lockdown's hand issue (he can't fully unfold his hands from his forearms, they always remain at an angle, see 4th picture) would be fixed with either this version and/or the "Stealth" repaint, but neither happened. So what remains is a cool-looking figure that's nothing more and nothing less than a repaint of a pretty good figure. I wouldn't call the buzzsaw either an improvement nor a detriment, it's just different. And would have been better fixed in place. If you haven't got the original Lockdown, this one is a good alternative. But I wouldn't have bought both versions if this one hadn't been clearanced.

Rating: B

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I also got this since the original wasn't on sale anymore (and my blazing lockdown was the last one in all the stores i visited!) and i'm extremely happy with the mold, it's very fun to fiddle with and transform back and forth. As always, animated doesn't dissapoint.

The only problem i have with this variation is that i'd wish you could store the chainsaw inside the car like Blurr's or Normal lockdown's hook, when in alt mode.

12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    A repaint should really go to town with paint apps, not have less. Disappointing.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was going to pass on him, but becuase there was the new ROTF NEST version it felt right to get them all.