Animated: Arrival #1 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Picked up today, plotwise it's a summation of the three-episode TV pilot. Nice thing is, it mixes in the show scenes with as-yet unseen events, such as:

-The Elite Guard did search for Prime's ship, scanners found nothing
    -Blitzwing held a funeral and did the eulogy for Megatron, complete with memorial statue
    -Sentinel Prime held a funeral for the missing Autobots with funny, derisive inner dialogue
    -Sentinel explains to Longarm why he deliberately called off the search for the Allspark and missing crew
    -Blackarachnia found the Allspark's location by bugging Starscream before he attacked the Autobots

So it plugs a few holes and sets up the series decently enough.

2. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting... thanks for the info.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As Blitzwing would say: "Curious."

I would have loved to see those as deleted scenes on the series' DVD release.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd have liked the artwork to be a little closer to the quality on the show. It wasn't bad it just seemed slightly off.

5. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah - it looked better colored.

I loved just how insistant Longarm was on NOT discontinuing the search for the Allspark... heh.

And Prowl's inner monologue during his near-death experience was very interesting as well.

What I loved was that all the characters were well-written. You could definitely hear the voice actors coming through the dialogue (ESPECIALLY on Sentinel Prime's and Blitzwing's). And of course, how Starscream managed to crash his ship was pretty funny.

6. BallaTron

BallaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It was a really good first issue,the fact that you get to see the first three episodes in a more personal perspective from all The Autobots is really cool.
    Got a kick out of Lugnut's reaction to Megatron's funeral.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Needs more Oil Slick soooon.

Had to have the comic shop hold me a copy until next week because I forgot about it until after I'd left.
    ND

8. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved that it wasn't just a retelling of the first 3 episodes (in fact, for someone who had never seen them, they would be completely lost reading this).

It was great to see what all the other characters were doing during this time.

9. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    One thing bugged me (well, two things, but both about the same passage):
    1) Sentinel Prime's listed as the Elite Guard second-in-command. I never got that impression from the show, with the repeated dressing downs Magnus gave him - I thought Magnus grabbed two guys who needed seasoning and left most of the Elite Commanders on Cybertron to do HIS job.

2) Mr "WHAT IS THAT THING" [SP again] getting to talk as if he was a major part of the anti-Decept fighters in the Great War, when it looked like he & Optimus were from a post-War generation in the cartoon (albeit older than Bumblebee & co). It's wouldn't be out-of-character for SP to talk himself up, but the 2iC thing gives it credence...

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    -This- is how you do a tie-in comic. Excellent work, and I hope it keeps it up. I was expecting rewritten scripts and got ancillary stories, I'm very pleased. :D 

11. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    So we now know this Cybertron has a few parrelells with previous ones.

Such as Iacon being an autobot city, and I'm assuming "New Kaon" got it's name from an "Old" Kaon.

12. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I loved it.

For a number of reasons but mainly the writing.

I was worried that Marty wouldnt be able to translate well to the comic medium. I think he did better than most regular comic writers. He brought introspective the characters that we havent seen yet!

Art was great and I cant wait for the next isssue!

13. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well, I think we already knew that somewhat going off Lugnut's "Galactic Powers" section on his toy bio.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    And as we all know, toy bios are gospel. Right, Movie Target G1 Deco Jazz?

15. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:

Yeah both of these annoyed me I guess talking himself up would explain the whole "My Generation" bit cause yeah everything from the show implies that while Sentinel, Elita-1 and Optimus are older than Bulkhead, Bumblebee etc that they aren't as old as Ratchet and Ultra Magnus and aren't of the great war generation.

Another thing that was slightly irksome was the lack of Elite Guard chevrons on Sentinel Prime which was purely a mistake as there is no justification for their absense.

Apart from these issues I enjoyed it, the ability to include characters in a earlier portion of the story that weren't able to be shown participating in the cartoon because they handn't had their big reveal episode was cool.

It will be interesting to see how well the stories told in the comic fit with the existing events that occured within season one. Im hoping that if we end up getting a season 3 and if Oilslick is included some mention is made of the events in the comic paticularly if done in a comedic manner.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Great comic, and a fantastic start to the animated comics. Blitzwing's mustache line made me lol alot.

Was slighly confused by BA's lack of a mouth, but I'll put that up to a battle mask since alot of characters have them.

17. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Great comic, the few minor art issues like with Sentinel's missing Elite Guard symbol, but negligible. The art was close to the animation but it looked sorta funny. I absolutely loved Sentinel's eulogy for the "deceased" Spacebridge repair crew. Props to Marty for doing that. Just further proof Sentinel is a dick on TV and on paper. Also the way it was written was unique imo, felt like multiple mini spotlights together where the individual characters had time to speak a few words about how they felt about the events as it happened. Especially enjoyed Bulkhead's bit about the art.

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I dunno, I honestly thought this comic was rather wasted.

Nearly all of it was recap-territory with a few extra scenes/perspectives thrown in, but it wasn't detailed enough where someone who hadn't actually seen the beginning of the series would have been able to follow. So basically it was too much "been there, done that" for people who had seen the show, and not enough for those who were unfamiliar with Animated. Not something I'd say would attract a wide enough audience.

19. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon stuff dreams are made of

1 quick question why was black arachnia worried about the allspark being under water if she can survive in space?

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think it has something to do with a phobia of water and the "itsy bitsy spider" children's rhyme?