Customs: Animated Arcee paint apps

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by sarujo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

After watching Vangelus' review on the Animated Arcee toy and his Vlog showing off his customization for the toy. I wanted to make the same custom apps that was done on his. Maybe somebody can answers some of my questions. Or if somebody's already covered this, point to the post.

First, what would be the best shade of white to use? From what I can see, it looks like it has a kinda greyish tint to it. I personally like the Model Master acrylics line. So what would the color be called and would they have it or would I need to mix some from other colors they have?

Second, just how much of the outer eyes would need to be painted black, and would the grove around her nose need this as well?

2. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I actually just got an Animated Arcee for myself recently and did the face makeup immediately. I took her head apart and then used a permanent inking pen (a nice one with a brush-like tip mind you I had from a drawing class I took a couple years ago) and colored the inside of her entire eye socket with it. I cleaned that up by just rubbing/wiping off excess with a Q-tip and then went back with a thinner, smaller pen and drew around her nose in that panel line. I think Vangelus used gundam markers to do his (cause he is a pretty lazy 'basher by his own admission), which I would have used too but I don't have any fine tipped ones so I went with the inking pens. I guess a super fine tip sharpie will probably do the trick too, but not the regular ones cause I tried that and they won't fit into the eye holes. I also added her lipstick with Tester's acrylic guard red (a nice true red color) using a very tiny brush. Be sure to do that too cause she looks a million times better with painted lips. I know what you mean about the white being actually kinda grayish and therefore harder to match. I haven't added any of the white paint touch ups myself for that exact reason. I usually use Testor's stuff and have been meaning to paint the white on the fingers for a couple days now. I might try this out for you tomorrow but, I think you should be able to get a white that's close enough if you just mix a little tiny bit of flat black in with some flat white. Actually I will try this out tomorrow and tell you how it works.

EDIT: Decided to go ahead and try it tonight (even though it's late). The testor's acrylic flat white is actually a close enough match for me (and I'm pretty anal about stuff like that) so I went ahead and painted her fingertips with it. they look pretty good now. I'll clean them up and seal them with future tomorrow. Can snap a pic for you if you want.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  4. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

Sure, more example would help greatly.

5. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Sure what? Do you want me to take some pics? I'm confused. :eek: 

If that's what you want, I still haven't cleaned up what I painted last night so I'm not going to be able to post any until tonight. Sorry.

6. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

Yes on the pictures.

7. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

So...... I finally got around to cleaning up and finishing my touch-ups of Arcee today. :eek: Sorry I took so long man.:redface2:  Like I said, I used Testor's MM Arcyl Flat White with inking pen lining (Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens for the thicker lines and a tiny Micron for the thiner ones between the fingers). Still need to clear coat them for protection. I had some trouble trying to capture the different whites of the figure (the straight plastic's white, the factory white paint, and the Testor's) with a camera. I tried taking the pics in different rooms of our house with different lightings to hopefully show you that the difference between them is not that noticeable, but I kinda failed. Sorry. Hopefully you'll still get the idea and this helped you out.

Attached Files:

8. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

Thanks for your help. I had though about the extra details on the helmet as well. Also the pink and black around the sides of the helmet. Plus maybe working on her feet to make them show accurate.

At first I thought it I thought it would make look like she was wearing a pair of sandals. Then I started to pay more attention to the sides of the legs and the paint app that makes up the hood of the car. In the right perspective, the white added would blend in with that hood paint app, making appear connected.

9. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

So you like how I filled in those little panel lines eh? I think they look great too and am really glad I did them. I bet you're right about repainting the feet, they would probably blend nicely with the paint apps of the hood. I also plan on repainting them someday, I just don't feel like doing right now. I think I will eventually panel line the rest her later too cause she has some great grooves sculpted all over that are just screaming to be filled in black. Are you going to snap some pics of your own and show us (or at least me) how your touch ups look when you do it?

10. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

Maybe. I'm still waiting to finish my Masterpiece Optimus Prime mod to make him more show accurate. :(  I will defiantly take pictures of that when it's complete.

11. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

cool.