Angry mother protects "sexually explicit Spider-Man comic"

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Paladin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Nevermind the overwhelming evidence that shows comics books actually improve reading ability or are a unique form of communication all to themselves. Maus anyone?

I swear, people like this drive me crazy. They assume all comics are the same and are presented as what you see in the Sunday comics and I'll even still defend those. You allowed to respect literature and respect artwork, but can never combine the two and take it seriously.

Its like she is channeling Wertham spirit.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Meh, just another attention whore seeking her ten minutes by being a moral crusader. She will achieve nothing because people like her are a dime a dosen in society.

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

This is funny and sad at the same time.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Good thing they don't stock anything by Aspen. The woman would have a heart attack.

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

A girl in a bikini and a short skirt is 'sexually inappropriate'? What is this? The 1960's? I've seen ads in the newspaper more explicit than any Spider-Man comic book.

And as Boggs6ft7 said, comics can actually have literary value. If anything, this woman is probably doing more harm than good to her son by causing a big stink over a book he wanted to read.

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    what's ironic is that its from the 9/11 graphic novel, one of the most compelling issues of Spidey done in recent years.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, she said comic books like the one in question have little literary value, not that all comics have little literary value. Maus can (and does) have a ton of literary value, but that doesn't mean every comic does, any more than some comic with low literary value means the entire genre is garbage. Just because a person is criticizing the literary value of a particular comic doesn't necessarily mean they're condemning everything from the entire genre. I didn't get anything from that article to give me the impression that she thinks all comics are the same or is on some censorship jihad specifically against the entire comic book genre, just that she wants the school to be enforcing her standard of morality. If it hadn't been this comic, it probably would have been another book somewhere along the line.

Now, I totally disagree with her position, of course, as I'm opposed to people imposing their standards of morality on a larger group of the population. She's got the right/authority to not allow her kid to read that comic and that's the limit of her ability to decide who gets to read the comic.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I weep, I really do.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe I was reading more into than is possible, but it was this that threw me off from my original quote:

What does content have to do with reading skills? This makes me believe that she does not hold any comic in high regard for developing reading skills.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Someone give her a copy of Watchmen and see if her head explodes.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Screw Spider-Man and Watchmen - let her read The Filth or The Invisibles.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Or a copy of Chosen. That'd blown her mind.

14. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

What about an issue of heavy metal? ;) 

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    OMG Hillz!

16. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It's funny that this has come up. In my class on resources for young adults (I'm working on getting a graduate degree in library and information science) we just did a simulation where some of us had to pretend to be challengers and some had to be librarians dealing with the challenge. (The challenged books were Forever by Judy Blume and Our Bodies, Ourselves.)

For what it's worth, I interpreted the mother's statement in the same way that Boggs did - that she has a low opinion of the format in general. And also, I doubt that her challenge is going to succeed. Librarians tend to resist censorship almost reflexively. The only thing she has going for her is that it's a school library instead of a public library. (School librarians are expected to act in loco parentis - public librarians are not.)

17. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

18. fuzzy_ninja

fuzzy_ninja little tin goddess

I can't formulate a coherant response to this. Poor kid, his mother is going to be constantly riding his shorts after this fiasco.

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I can't help but read into that. o_0

I actually encourage these women to campaign for their values and morality. It can only benefit us, after all - it's far more entertaining than television these days. When they start to tire, I find it's nice to throw them a bone and watch them pop. They're almost like little people. :) 

20. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

This totally makes me want to give that mom Y:The Last Man vol.6 ;) 

People like this get me so irritated with society, they get so upset over the littlest most ridiculous things. M.J. in a bikini? That's nothing!!! That JRJRs' art right? The most explicit he ever got that I saw was when that one girl flashed that kid in Kick-ass #2.

Ugh.