Andrew Wildman

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFFan01, Aug 13, 2017.

?

Yes or No

1. Yes.

34 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Calvatron

Calvatron Active Member

This times a thousand. At his best he was good and had some unique characteristics, but i prefer every other good uk artist over him most of the time. His tf's always looked like people in cheap homemade costumes.

2. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with both aspects. I recall reading an interview somewhere that he didn't really want to do WW. He was interested in doing some commissioned covers, and that was about it. But Baskerville could of really helped with that series.
    Regen One teams him back up with Baskerville, but it def felt like he really didn't want to be there. And his leaving more or less might confirm that.
    Though Guido sure picked up where he left off beautifully.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Grimlock528

I'm on the other side of this. I always felt Yomtov did so much of "color every background character one solid color to save time". John-Paul Bove on ReGen brought a vivid pallet that truly stands out and is beautiful in every scene (for me). I haven't seen colors that good before or since. No offense meant to the current colorists. I just really dig Bove.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's more than to save time. It's to unify a panel or a page, so that you can create a tone or a mood rather than everything being a punch in the eye all the time. It can also help create depth in a panel or to direct focus. If you read the advice they gave in their ollllld 1980s Try-Out book, you'll see this is a technique Marvel asked their colorists to employ, and not for time reasons.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Grimlock528

Makes a lot of sense. And I absolutely believe it was editorial mandate, no matter their reason.
    I just also remember it always drove me nuts. Especially on covers. What was it, US #35? Devastator and Bruticus fighting. One was blue, one was red. No foreground or focus or anything. Just felt really sloppy.
    Also reminds me of Delbo and his swipes.

6. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    His work was brilliant in in the eighties and nineties. His work on regeneration was not up to par IMO.

7. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I like his stuff, enough to have funded his Patreon while it lasted and pick up some fantastic original sketches for my trouble. I own original art by Senior, Anderson and Wildman, and any one of them on their worst day was a hundred times better than anyone in the US book bar Herb Trimpe's early work.

That said, I can see why people might be against his stuff given how visceral it was. For me it conveyed far more dynamism and emotional weight than, say, Delbo's stuff which was quite stiff.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No one is denying that for a second.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

US book was not bar set terribly high. Saying that someone was better is damn with faint praise. Incidentally, Wildman is guilty of the same thing US artists were - his TFs never really looked or felt as he was drawing machines. More like human cosplayers.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Woah woah woah hey hey hold on there. William Johnson.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Yes, quite right, his Warrior School work was exceptional. Good catch!

12. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Well of course how much better is a matter of taste, not necessarily objectivity. Personally I can take the "human cosplayer" look and accept that it works better than the stacked-block-look of Delbo when conveying movement and emotion, but your mileage may vary. I can only offer my own opinion and reasons for it.

13. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

I have to say yes because of his work on War Within:The Dark Ages volume. That last era of Dreamwave was my gateway drug into Transormers fiction. I guess it's clear that I have nostalgia filter left on.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I liked his early stuff but by the end of G1 US, it was terrible.

Absolutely awful in Regeneration. His backgrounds tend to be bland and empty and I hate fleshy Transformers. Only artist worse was Dan Reed.

15. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I think the artistic ability of many of the artists who handled the comics over the years would stun you. It's just that some of them weren't very suited to the work, or, unfortunately, like Jose Delbo, who I actually do like, just didn't put a great deal of effort into it. Like, I don't particularly care for Dan Reed's stuff when he crops up in TFUK, but he's a fantastic artist. Jose Delbo has amazing fine artistry skills; they just didn't come into play on a monthly toy tie in comic. Don Perlin and Herb Trimpe were great artists, etc. It's just that some dudes weren't really suited to the work, didn't receive good enough direction or, on occasion, and I hate to say this, hacked it out.

Even Manny Galan, who's work I positively LOATHE on G2, is a fantastic artist, put into a rough position. The realities of monthly (or weekly!) comic production doesn't always allow for everyone's best foot forward. Also, none of those guys were fans of the property... it was a job for them. We live in a different time now, where guys and gals grew up wanting to draw Transformers. The audience demands more detail (sadly; that's one of the things I can't stand abut modern TF comics) and the art is held to a different standard.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Delbo's a true book pro.

Except not suited for Transformers at all. He didn't do anything terrible, but also nothing was remarkable in his run. I think that "correct" and "adequate" describe his TF art the best.

Also he was paired with unsuitable inkers all the time.

Compare US Transformers #48 to other issues penciled by him. That's the issue in the US run where Delbo is not inked with a brush and it shows.

Bulanadi is credited with inking Flames of Boltax but I'm not so sure because it does look less rushed than other issues inked by him.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yup, this. Big fan of his OG Marvel work. (i preferred Senior though)

18. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I loved Wildman on the original run. That said, I'm sssssoooooo glad we got Senior for #75. He knocked the hell out of that issue out of the park and really conveyed the sense of mass and scale required to do a Transformers versus Unicron story.

Some of you have said that Wildman's heart wasn't really in Regeneration. I thought his art wasn't up to snuff on RG so I'm kind of relieved that it wasn't his best because I'd hate to see someone's art fall that hard. RG was a mixed bag for me to begin with tho'. I wanted Furman to continue on from Generation 2, with the Leige Maximo cliffhanger.