Andrew Wildman Done With Transformers?!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by x BlackMagnus x, Jun 14, 2010.

1. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt it. And that cover is all sorts of bad ass.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt it, he will probably take a break then come back. Don did the same thing because he got burned out

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    On that note, Javier Saltares (Ghost Rider) does some pretty good artwork in this month's issue. Although, I don't like the fact that the first 15 pages or so were entirely human characters.

5. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    um, well it was an issue largely focused on Spike and worked well in fleshing out his state of mind and motivations.

anyway, Wildman hasn't been a massive contributor to the comics of late, mainly turning out spot illustrations for associated media. i can't really blame him for wanting to do something else for a while.

6. Simes

Simes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Andy has been losing interest in the Transformers "franchise" for a while which hasn't been helped by the movies. He has enjoyed attending conventions for the social and panel side of things but does struggle with doing sketches (and I think - but don't quote me on this - this may be one of the reasons he has handed Draw The World Together over to Kat Nicholson and Jason Cardy.

We did invite him to attend Auto Assembly 2010 this year but after being our longest standing guest, he declined because of his dwindling feelings towards Transformers but we have left the door open for him in the future.

Simon

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It sounds like he wanted to do one last thing, the six covers, and if he never does another thing with Transformers then he's fine with that. But with his last line, "Of course, there are some loose story ends from the old days that it would be great to tie up. Who knows. That opportunity may still occur," he's clearly leaving the door open to come back someday, if the project is right.

I loved the Andy Wildman/Stephen Baskerville art team on Transformers. The ten issues they did together are my favorite issues of the Marvel series. I thought it was a shame that he didn't come back when Andy did.

8. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got that. Which is why it bored me.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed his recent Ongoing covers. Man needs time out from TFs, like most of us occasionally!

10. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Eh, what'll happen is, he'll come back to TFs in a year or two to work on Ongoing...only he'll decide to employ a different style, and as a result fans will freak out because he's drawing G1 TFs in Animated style and they all have the same big chin. :tongue: 

Seriously, though, I can't say this affects me one way or the other. It sucks he won't be doing any more TF stuff for the time being, but at the same time, his artwork wasn't the most impressive TF stuff I'd ever seen. I personally think he's gotten better with time, but I'm just not that into his work. I know, it's just me.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yeah, saw him at AA in '08 and he outright said he has never really been too bothered about Transformers and doesn't enjoy drawing them.

Shame, as I grew up on his art in the Marvel UK comics.

12. Simes

Simes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From an artist's point of view I can probably see where he is coming from... unless you are a Transformers fan yourself or have a real interest in sci-fi / robots generally, I'm sure that it can get boring after a while drawing very mechanical characters and no matter how much action there might be in a story, it's still big robots fighting and without real variety it would drive you crazy.

I guess Star Trek comic artists felt the same drawing the same main cast all the time and to a limited degree having to focus on a core group of alien species - Klingons, Borg, Vulcans etc. While there are other races that have appeared, you KNOW that the regulars will end up making appearances over and over and over...

It's probably easier for writers than it is for artists as they have more creative control about what happens in a story but if the passion isn't there then Andy's made the right choice.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I totally hear what you're saying. I guess it's just that a tiny part of my childhood died that day.
    Still, he always did great work and his honest attitude will be missed this year.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A shame if he goes, but it sounds like the door remains open for his return.