And we can't stomach you

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AutobotPunk 2.0, Nov 17, 2008.

1. AutobotPunk 2.0

AutobotPunk 2.0 Well-Known Member

2. MBSHOOT

MBSHOOT Well-Known Member

Hey i agree with bay. After i saw the movie it got me all excited and i wanted to go back and watch G1 all over again because i had forgot how cool it was when i was youger.

Yeah at my age now i watched it... Its a mess and so dam cheesy. Something only a kid could love...maybe a kid from the 80's , 90's... lol

I like it how i rember it when i was a kid though.

3. AutobotPunk 2.0

AutobotPunk 2.0 Well-Known Member

i agree

4. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Ditto... I love the TF's of my youth AND the 07 movie universe as well.

5. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Is this an odd coincidence your name is mbshoot when this thread is about MikeBay on SHOOTout.com lol.

But I would have to say Transformers G1 cartoons hold up extremely well. There are of course episodes that are just filler episodes cause they run out of ideas but have you ever seen other TV shows from that time frame.

A cartoon that doesnt hold up at all is thundercats. heh even Voltron I thought was good but going back and watching it, thats the same damn show every episode.

With G1 there was alot of variety and very creative imaginitive places and things in it. I have all four seasons on DVD and I will say that seasons 1 and 2 are the best with some good episodes in 3 and 4. However 3 and 4 the bar dropped for quality in all areas and season 1 and 2 should be considered the golden age of g1.

So basically I say Michael Bay just sees a cartoon he did not see the characters and the story so hence why he decided to abandon almost all of it to start. Thats like being asked to make a movie about ,as in his words, green house but he just wants to make a purple house.

WTF you were hired to make a movie about a green house why the hell would you go and change it completely when that was the grounds you were hired on. Thats like taking a movie thats a deep sea movie then saying you want to make it a deep space movie. Thats beyond artistic license thats being ego maniacal.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. IT's a 22 minute commercial as some people call it, but it had a lot of spirit, while most shows I have rewatched from that time period (that I remember enjoying) I can't normally sit through.

7. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i love it when vektsilver rages

but i am gonna say fanwank and reiteration of the same thing over and over in every franchise gets stale. this is fresh.... for now

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It would be funny if Michael Bay hired someone to paint his house and that person turned out to be an annoyed Transformers fan.

Bay: "I told you I wanted my house painted white, not purple."
    Housepainter: "That's not what you said online. I'm just following your awesome example."

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just reminds why I'm glad the guy hasn't gotten his hands on other franchise films. Yea it bites we have to deal with what color he wants to paint a house, but as long as he's busy with Transformers at least I can enjoy the franchises he's not a part of.

Been to a lot of other films where I could say okay things have changed but that feel is still there. Just didn't feel any of that stuff that made me love Transformers in the movie. Say whatever you'd like either way you'd like but if I'm not feeling it I'm just not feeling it.

Oh and he came off as less of a prick that time, so fingers crossed he can start leaving the ego at the door one of these days and talk film making as an artist instead of talking about it from the point of view of being the world's greatest director or the only person who could have directed something. Always more interesting when a director explains what they were going for instead of saying because I wanted it that way.

10. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Hell yeah, I totally agree...Seasons 1 and 2 are still pure Transformers Gold. And not at all that kiddy or cheesy...Season 3 and 4 is where things started to decline in quality. But the original characters from before the '86 movie, and those episodes are awesome. And I still enjoy watching them at 24. G1 FTW All day Every Day.

11. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

He is totally right. Those cartoons were terrible and they don't hold up. Most of the cartoons from the 80's don't hold up. I mean Scooby Doo and the 13 ghosts and all that was prime time Saturday morning stuff but was bad and unwatchable now.

Doesn't mean people can't like the shows, but we don't like them because they are good, we like them because what the franchise has become and it is our roots.

Nothing he said was wrong or stupid.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree with him. I really wish these threads would leave the bias out of the titles. I don't need this crap when I'm just browsing the forums. Seriously, it's not cool, it's not funny and it's not true.

13. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This = WIN.

14. luke4

luke4 crocon

what i dont understand is people think the movie was shit... where were they when cybertron was made?

and i agree with what he said.

15. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

If it helps, I couldn't get past 9 or so episodes of Galaxy Force. Granted, I have trouble with most Japanese-oriented Transformers shows, so go figure.

G1 cartoon is good, but there's an awful lot of crap. What I liked was the plethora of characters and the episodes that attempted to introduce new ideas and concepts and most important for an 80s kids show, some kind of continuity (despite the numerous conflicts).

This is why I'm partial to the Dreamwave G1, is because it attempts to refine what came before it, without the silliness of the cartoon. An awesome fusion of comic and cartoon universes.

16. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I think people really don't understand what 'Holds up' means. Shows that 'Hold up' are either quality enough that it could be re-introduced to modern audiences and still be totally enjoyed by the audience even 25 to 50 years later.

Examples of shows that 'Hold up.'

*The Flintstones
    *I Love Lucy
    *Tom and Jerry

Now there are very few animated shows that I would say actually 'hold up' or would hold up to today's standards. One big one is Batman The Animated Series that has been pretty much the same for the 10+ year run it had. You can put that show from 1994 on the air today and it still 'holds up'.

Just because adult franchise fans may still enjoy it in no way means it holds up. Which is one of the primary reasons it is not on TV anywhere. Many of the episodes I don't even think would be able to be aired due to standards.

I think the 'concept' of robots that transform holds up for toys, but that is about it. It is something kids really like as it is two toys in one.

Here is a neat article:
    Television: Is ?Seinfeld? a Legend After 10 Years? | Newsweek Entertainment | Newsweek.com

It can put some of it in perspective. Maybe having a TF buddy as a Kid like bumblebee holds up but the show as a whole totally does not.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

What "holds up" is a matter of opinion and nothing more. Many don't think G1 holds up, but many do. MB or whoever can believe whatever they want, doesn't mean affect my opinion that G1 holds up today. It was ahead of its time for an 80s cartoon.

18. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think the G1 cartoon is terrible. lord knows i love it! but it f@#$%ing stinks.

19. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i think part of the reason people love the g1 cartoon is BECAUSE it's bad. it has a lot of camp value. sure it holds some great childhood memories but it's still open to criticism. most of the dialogue is rubbish, and there were animation flaws all over the place, but that gives all the more reason to love it. kind of like how people love robot chicken even though it's just dodgey claymation type things

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The cartoons suck in today's standards. They were cool in the 80's, stomachable in the 90's, but if you try to rewatch them now most of it is downright horrible.

Batman Begins and Batman The Dark Knight stray away from the source material. Superman Returns does hardcore. X-Men didn't stay true, and neither did Spiderman. Ironman didn't stay true either.

It's like any movie made from a book -- there is always scenes and dialogue left out. Something is always changed to make sense to a broader audience. Transformers is no different.

You say it sucks. Hasbro, Paramount, and Dreamworks are STILL counting the $750 million dollars, and Hasbro is STILL counting all the toy sales from the movie which, by the way, made Transformers the Movie the best selling Transformers line in the history of Transformers.

Saying "the movie sucks and if you thought it was good there's something wrong with you" is like trying to convince people the Civil War was won by the South.

Let go of your anger. It was just a movie.