And the Next Franchise to Get the Remake/Reboot/Sequel Treatment is....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Deceptijohn, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Blade Runner. sigh. I'm getting pretty sick of the complete lack of balls Hollywood has these days. If they can't slap a number after it or just completely retread something with even marginal name recognition it's not going to get made. Ah well at least I was alive in the 80s when you could find something new around every corner. Little did I know I'd be going around that same corner for the next 30 years. Is there anyone that can get excited for more blade Runner? I just can't get excited about another rape of an old property.

Warner Bros. Acquires the Rights to ‘Blade Runner’ Prequels & Sequels - Screen Rant

Here is a good article I ran across recently that talks about Hollywood's cowardice. This quote speaks volumes:

The Day the Movies Died: Movies + TV: GQ

2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool, maybe it'll be more watchable than the original. ;) 

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They can't remake the original, only do sequels. It's in the contract.

4. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I think the phrase is 'fucking heresy'...

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The original has been so torn up, re-edited, remastered, and re-edited again that the impact it should have is nearly lost. The universe set up by the film has serious potential for exploring new stories. It all depends on who they hand the reigns to.

6. DeathsHead

I couldn't disagree more.

Bladerunner is still making an impact on film making today. There have only ever really been two proper versions of the movie - the original screen cut with the VO and upbeat ending and the 'Directors Cut'. Neither the TV cut, the workprint or the 'Final Cut' are different enough from these two to support your conclusions and most people aren't even aware of the existence of most of them.

It's a beautiful, if flawed film and utterly a product of it's time. Everything about it's troubled production adds indefinable 'somethings' to it's whole. And it's one of the best shot and scored films in the history of cinema.

I just can't see lightening being bottled twice here. I don't want an AVP murder of a classic happening.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Judging by the huge amount of DVD and Blu-Ray sales of the 5-disc set, I'd say there are a great deal of people aware of the different cuts. I just refuse to buy into the "ruined classic" mentality when the film has been tinkered with on and off for nearly 25 years. with some of that tinkering changing the entire tone of the film.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy Blade Runner. I own it on multiple DVD's as well as the 5-disc Blu-Ray. However, the constant tinkering with it has soured my regard for the film.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't have a problem with it considering the circumstances. The theatrical version was studio bullshit that never should have happened in the first place and the 1993 version isn't an actual Directors Cut, so Scott was justifed in doing Final as far as I am concerned. Plus he's always the first to admit when he is doing a new cut for money or fun rather then legitimacy.

As for the potential spin-offs, i'll watch them if they seem interesting or spend my money elsewhere if they sound shit. I don't think that were in any danger of direct prequels or sequels in this case.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I guess it's time to churn out that "Fanboys hate remakes and sequels even though they eat them up" whambu-train again, choo choo.

10. DeathsHead

I don't see the relationship between these two things at all. Bladerunner's theatrical cut was fuck-up from the word go. The 1993 version (despite not being properly supervised by Scott) is essentially the film as it should be - it's not a George Lucas 'tinkering'. The Final cut was simply a chance for Scott to nip and tuck at the 1993 release - the differences are minimal. And every film gets a workprint - we just don't usually get to see them.

How does any of this reduce the films impact on a historical or cultural basis? Why have the recuts 'soured your regard'? (particularly as essentially there are only two real versions of the film, minor tweaks aside). Do you prefer the original hatchet job? And in what way does any of the restoration work on Bladerunner justify the manufacture of sequels that are almost guaranteed to disappoint given the titan status of the original work?

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

The concept to remake Blade Runner on one hand makes sense to me, but on the other hand also seems like something we don't really need, either.

They should make a Snatcher movie instead.

12. DeathsHead

Why? I'm honestly curious.

Thankfully they aren't talking about a remake but further stories in that universe.

13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Doubtful. No matter what they do it would never be watchable.

14. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Just cause the concept of it feels like one of those stories that can be retold from a fresh perspective. But at the same time, does it really need to be "Blade Runner" for that?

When you think about it, Japanese Anime has already been "remaking" Blade Runner for years now.

That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, if they can do it right.

15. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    didn't see the original til last year and I absolutely love it. I don't think theres a high chance of hollywood making a sequel that has the same feel as the original.

I keep intending to read the book sometime, but haven't gotten around to it.

They've already made enough of Philip K. Dicks books into movies, why don't they just pick another, instead of doing sequels.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe because I saw it for the first time last year, I hated it. Extreemly boring. I couln't help but MST3K it just to get through it.