And the madness continues...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smkspy, May 15, 2007.

1. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

What the hell is going on in this country? I thought we finally got over the silly PC age, but it appears more and more that people don't have a sense of humor and our feelings are getting hurt over what idiots are doing and saying.

First though I never listen to them (I prefer Walton and Johnson), Opie and Anthony have been suspended...http://mediabiz.blogs.cnnmoney.com/2007/05/15/xm-suspends-opie-and-anthony/

"May 15, 2007
    XM suspends Opie and Anthony
    So much for satellite radio being a medium where shock jocks can get away with anything. XM Satellite Radio (XMSR) announced Tuesday that the network was suspending Gregg “Opie” Hughes and Anthony Cumia and ceasing to broadcast their “Opie and Anthony” show for 30 days effective immediately.

The two came under fire last week after they aired a segment that featured a homeless person saying he wanted to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth. The two even joked about Rice being raped and punched in the face. (We’re not going to link to their comments, but for those of you who want to hear exactly what they said, the audio can be easily Googled.)

Although the shock jocks apologized on Monday’s show, XM did not seem satisifed with their remarks.

“XM Radio deplored the comments aired on “The Opie & Anthony Show” last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology,” the company said in the statement.

“Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday’s broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them,” the company added.

The Opie and Anthony controversy could not come at a worse time for XM, which has agreed to merge with rival Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI). That deal needs to get the approval of both the Federal Communications Commission and Justice Department - and there is a growing sense that regulatory opposition may kill the deal. Several members of Congress have also come out saying that they are against the merger.

It just goes to show that even for satellite radio, where hosts can curse and use other objectionable language since they are not being broadcast on free “terrestrial” radio, racy comments can get on-air personalities in trouble.

So at the risk of angering many readers who flamed me when I suggested that there was no way Sirius or XM would hire Don Imus after CBS (CBS) fired him for his racist and sexist remarks about the Rutgers college women’s basketball team …I told you so.

The fact that XM was willing to suspend Opie and Anthony is proof that offensive programming could hurt even satellite radio, a medium that does not depend on advertising dollars as free radio does. XM and Sirius do have to worry about losing subscribers if shock jocks go too far.

The suspension also demonstrates how scared the satellite radio companies are of looking like the poster children for bad behavior at a time when XM and Sirius will depend on the goodwill of the government to green-light their merger.

Many readers argued that Opie and Anthony got away with a lot because of the fact that people have to pay for satellite radio and suggested that Imus could do the same.

But it’s really starting to look like all radio hosts, whether they work for free radio or satellite, are going to be held accountable for controversial comments. And XM is making it clear that if they have to sacrifice Opie and Anthony in order to have any hope of getting approval for the Sirius merger, they will do it."

Then these radio guys are fired for prank calls at a Chinese restaurant,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070515/ennew_afp/usmediaasiaracism_070515035242

"Two New York radio hosts fired for Asian slur Mon May 14, 11:52 PM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - The CBS network has fired two "shock jocks" over an on-air slur against Asians, US media reported Monday, weeks after another radio host was sacked for making a racist remark.

The hosts of "The Dog House with JV and Elvis," Jeff Vandergrift and Dan Lay, had been suspended earlier as the broadcaster decided their fate.

The show was permanently canceled after the two placed an on-air order to a Chinese restaurant for "slimp flied lice" and compared food items to certain parts of the body on April 5.

"'The Dog House with JV and Elvis' will no longer be broadcast," CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo told the New York Daily News.

After the prank call was broadcast, the Organization of Chinese Americans, an advocacy group, had blasted the network and demanded CBS fire the hosts.

The move came after Don Imus, who had enjoyed a large national audience for his radio and television program, was fired after he called the Rutgers university women's basketball team "nappy-headed ho's," nappy referring to the tight hair of many African-Americans and ho, as street talk for "whore."

"In the wake of the Imus case, it would have been maddening to the community if these idiots did not get fired," Queens City Councilman John Liu told the New York daily."

Finally, I've saved the best for last, these poor students who threw an illegal Mexican themed party that got expelled from their college.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/05/14/zahn.racist.party.cnn

Damn you Al Sharpton this is all your fault!!!!!

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I never liked "shock jocks". Never saw the humor in them.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    O&A have always done screwed up stuff.

Don't see how this is any different.

4. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

You know even if your on satellite radio you have limits, yes you can get away with more but you still have limits. Even on The Daily Show the bleep the F word.

I've never liked Opie and Anthony to begin with they always seemed to want to try and top Stern's craziness with stuff that would get them into very big trouble just so they can say they are better then Stern. Also I just found then really freaking annoying and childish. Stern at least does have the ability to have intelligent conversations instead of gags.

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

They are horribly horribly unfunny.

That being said, they were suspended in order to give the proposed merger a shot in hell of being approved.

Even at that, it sets a dangerous precedent...satellite radio should be totally uncensored. If you don't like something someone said, change the channel.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    There is a difference between what Imus said and what these idiots said.

XM radio likely doesn't want to be the station that sanctioned the thoughts of raping and face punching Codeliza Rice.

7. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Yeah. Punishing someone for making fun of a person's race and joking about raping one of the highest political figures in the country on a national stage is "madness."

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

The fact that they had to apologize and that they have been suspended is madness considering satellite radio is supposedly censorship free. My theory is that all this happened because of the proposed merger...

The comments were out of line and I don't agree with them. But that's why I choose to not listen to the "O&A virus that spreads across America" (or whatever the hell lame thing they say about themselves).

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    That's funny? I guess I don't get it.

10. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

There is a basic structure to a joke. The oversimplification is first a setup and then a punchline. Just like Imus, they had no joke. The difference is that they weren't on federally regulated airwaves and they shouldn't have to apologize or be suspended or fired.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Madness.

1. Laura
    2. The queen
    3. Condi

THAT'S the order in which I'd do them.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Although I hate "shock jocks," I find this snippet brazenly hypocritical:
    It's not "creative freedom" if you're not actually allowed to use it.

13. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I've never listened to them barring the clip where they talked about raping the First Lady and Secretary of State. I think that they went too far. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't get a visit from the Secret Service. I'm also not one for the censorship of radio personalities. One of the reasons I'm against the Fairness Doctrine is because I believe that people should be given the choice of turning the dial and not listening, because when they're given the choice to do so garbage programming is thrown away. Just look at Air America.

14. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

QFT. Even free speech has some limits.

15. Jux

I dunno. It doesn't seem like a government body was pushing for it - that would be a dangerous precedent, in my view.

I'm not saying sat. radio should be censored as much as terrestrial radio, but I also don't think it should be a free for all. While the moves were likely done because the corporate bodies were worried about more Imus-like uproar, I don't necessarily disagree with it.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It does have some limits, but the point where you merely offend a lot of people isn't one of them. Limits on free speech should only include things that endanger other people, slander, exposing government secrets that could be used by enemies of the state, or making serious threats against someone. Funny or not, the remarks were made in jest and weren't meant as an actual threat against anyone. XM Radio does have the right to fire anyone they want for saying something they don't like, but if this had been an act of cencorship by the government instead of a corporation, then there would be great cause for alarm.

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

While I highly dislike O&A, there is no reason they should have been suspended for something as trivial as this.

Agreed with Drippy, this is totally about saving face for the merger.

18. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

The FCC has actively been fighting the merger.

If apologies and suspensions (and ultimately firings?) weren't done, it's more fuel to the fire for the SEC to not do satellite radio any favors by approving a merger that another part of the government doesn't want to happen.

19. Jux

I just meant that it didn't seem like a government agency was pushing for the punishments.

But I could be wrong. Truthfully I don't know much about the pending merger, or the government bodies involved and their interest in respect to the matter. I guess I'd be more uptight if it came out that this is the result of government actions, but right now it appears - on the surface - to be corporations being uptight, which is nothing new.

20. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I'm amazed at how many times people have said madness in this thread without making a Sparta joke. It's still there people.