And so the Stars of Destiny shall gather anew (New Suikoden title for the DS!)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sol Fury, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Due Fiumi.com - into a world of illusion...

About time. I've been waiting for a new Suikoden game for far too long. I'm only slightly put off by the fact it seems to be taking some cues from IV (four character parties might not seem a bad thing, but it kind of discourages you from experimenting with the huge cast of characters that you will recruit along the way. I know on Suiko IV my party didn't change nearly as much as the rest of the series).

At any rate, this is great news. This one goes right to the top of my "must want / can't wait for" list.

2. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I have the same trepidations because of the four character party and the fact that magic is now just np based, but the game looks really nice so far and I won't even have to buy a new system for this like I thought I might.

3. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Looks nice. Hope it gets a english release.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Sweet, sweet action.

I still need to pick up III sometime, though. Thanks for the reminder.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm kinda pissed they never brought over that port of Suikoden 1 & 2 that came out for PSP in Japan.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yay...always a fan of the Suikoden series...

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    III was awesome. If you're a fan of the first two, you might dislike how one character gets treated, but what I loved about that one was how the story played out from different viewpoints, and it really made you think about how the characters saw the same event.

The change in magic for this one is something that will have to go on the "wait and see" list. I definitely respect the original system for stopping you from spamming the high power spells, though. Being limited to a couple of castings of a level 4 spell was always a case of "shall I cast it or shall I hold back?"

That said, it depends on how the MP system is realized. If care and thought are put into it, then what might happen is you have to decide whether to use your 10 MP to cast a pair of high-level spells, or five low-levels.

It's a system I want to play with before I pass judgment on whether it is a good thing or not.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I would just like to say... this is a thread title. It is awesome. Please continue.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved Suikoden 1-3. 4 was really disapointing but I did play through it... at least the half of a game they gave us. Definitely seemed like only half a game, and Tactics was meant as the other half.

Anyways... part 5 seemed good, but it was the first one I didn't play all the way through, and I think it's just because I was in college and had no time. It's really hard to go back... but not as hard as it is to get me to play a portable RPG. With the exception of the FF remakes, I haven't played a portable RPG. So, there isn't much of a chance I will get this.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

little more info and some more pics

EDIT: imageshack sucks now...so it might be best if you just click the GAF link if you want to see the pics

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Ugh.. it sounds like crap. Let's see...

Salsaville? say it with me now, Salsa---ville. That's really classic there. I mean sure, we had Harmonia previously, but at least *that* had an explaination.

Four character parties... didn't work in SIV for a reason guys. 108 characters means you have a minimum of 27 parties. Take into account 40 or so will be non-fighting, and you still have what... 15-18 party combinations? It'll be like IV and Chrono Cross, people'll have their favorites and never use the vast majority of the characters.

I hope to all that's good and holy that MP thing is just for this game, and isn't a sign of what the main series'll do. I like the originality of the Rune system that has been a staple of the series thus far. Generic MP is boring.

Speaking of generic... "acts before he thinks" hero? "female childhood friend" Ugh... I hope that's not going to turn out as "Generic brainless hero" and "childhood friend/girlfriend." Not trying to jump the gun, I just don't want the series to go down the generic route and lose it's uniqueness.

Speaking of main series... Why in the world are the 108 gathering for a side story? Stars can show up in side-stories, yeah, but not a gathering. Besides that, the whole concept of the 108 being defeated is simply and utterly retarded. The whole point of the series is that the 108 Stars are the only thing that can alter destiny. I hope it's just a "leap forward" sort of scenario, and once you reach that point in the game, you do not actually lose.

I also pray that it has nothing to do with the True Runes, as I doubt it'd be more than shoe-horned-in to the main series, which was actually building towards something greater.

Man, I wish the original creator of the series was back. IV was trash, V was good, but it played things safely, and now this...