And so the excuses begin

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moonhawk, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Quote from here:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1110/transformers.html

When audio specs for 'Transformers' were announced, there was a collective sigh of disappointment from early adopters when we learned that there would be no high-res audio tracks included on this disc. Given that this is such a flagship title for the studio, the decision was quite the head-scratcher.

Indeed, I had the opportunity to attend a special 'Transformers' media event with Paramount late last week, and the question was asked almost immediately -- why no Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed PCM? The studio's answer was that due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps). Unfortunately, this confirms the long-held theory that the 30Gb capacity of an HD-30 dual-layer HD DVD disc has forced studios to choose between offering a robust supplements package (as they've done here) and the very best in audio quality.

Picture and audio quality are paramount (excuse the pun) for the High Def format - the interactive features are nice to have extras. When people have spent £1000 on a plasma screen, £500 on a surround system - not to mention the high def player and DVD itself - the studio compromising on either of these is unforgivable.

What was it Bay said about being blown away by HD-DVD - about it being the best format. Me thinks there is more to his about turn than meets the eye (LOL - did you see what I did there - did ya!)

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uhhh, I recall Bay throwing a tantrum because there wasn't going to be a blu-ray version.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    When he waffled on his pro Blu stand he was touting HD's supposed superiority.

I am sorry, that review is biased. Being a review specifically for the HD version on an HDM website that audio score should have automatically been knocked a full star. It is NOT HD audio, and should not be scored as if it were, even if it is a very impressive Dolby Digital it is the same track from the Standard DVD. If the picture was a very impressive standard def picture there is no way in hell a reviewer could give it 5 stars.

The look of perfect, the sound of DVD.